ECC ddr sdram can be used on socket 939 motherboard?

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Hi,

I got some leftover server memory ECC ddr sdram pc2700 and I was wondering if it is compatible with a amd socket 939 motherboard. The reason why I am asking is that ECC modules are not compatible with the intel 865 and 845 chipsets. Or maybe it has to be a specific chipset to support ecc ddr ram

Also, I am thinking of getting an low end foxconn 6150 motherboard if it is compatible. And if ecc pc2700 ram will work for a amd 3800 x2? Thanks.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

It should be compatible. As far as i know AMDs on-die memory controller is the same for everyone of their chips. The only difference is the number of HT links it offers. Since the opterons are server processors and support ECC so should all other AMD processors with IMC. I would do a google search to confirm this but i´m quite certain that they do.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks. I know it is a noobish question, but I the amd 3800+ x2. The FSB of those processors are 200mhz but does it support pc2700 memory, which is a ddr333 memory? Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
Most systems don't care whether the actual memory is ECC or not, as they will just ignore the 9th bit and not use it even if it is present. That said, the usual problem is that servers almost always require *registered* memory, while standard desktop systems require *unbuffered* memory.

Thus, if your RAM is ECC registered memory, it won't work. If it's ECC unbuffered memory, it should work.