Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • SATA
  • Windows Vista
  • OEM
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2007 9:52:16 PM

I will be building a new Vista based system this weekend and purchased an OEM Sata drive from newegg:

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

While i should have expected it, all i received was the drive. Will the built in capabilities of Vista allow me to burn discs and utilize the lightscribe technology or do i have to go buy some 3rd party hardware? Which would, of course, negate the savings of going OEM! :) 

All is see is firmware and the manual availble for dowload on their site...

Thanks for any and all help

cheers,

More about : oem sata drive vista

August 6, 2007 11:29:01 PM

When you buy OEM all you get is what ever it is you ordered, in this case the drive, no cables, software, etc. You'll need a program to burn disks as well as utilize lightscribe. Depending on what you want to burn, e.g., audio, video, data, there are loads of programs some free and you pay for. What program are you using know?
August 6, 2007 11:51:14 PM

Hey g-paw,
I am using nero6 on my soon to be mothballed xp system. I can upgrade to the new version of nero for about 60 bucks and install it on my to be built system for vista...it doesnt look like 6 works with vista, but i am still checking.
Related resources
August 7, 2007 12:16:23 AM

cs4160 said:
Hey g-paw,
I am using nero6 on my soon to be mothballed xp system. I can upgrade to the new version of nero for about 60 bucks and install it on my to be built system for vista...it doesnt look like 6 works with vista, but i am still checking.

If you like Nero, probably best bet would be to upgrade. For things like hard drives, optical drives, RAM, and Windows you're generally best of getting OEM. For mobo, video and audio cards, and CPUs I think retail best.
August 7, 2007 1:28:17 AM

cs4160 said:
I will be building a new Vista based system this weekend and purchased an OEM Sata drive from newegg:

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

While i should have expected it, all i received was the drive. Will the built in capabilities of Vista allow me to burn discs and utilize the lightscribe technology or do i have to go buy some 3rd party hardware? Which would, of course, negate the savings of going OEM! :) 

All is see is firmware and the manual availble for dowload on their site...

Thanks for any and all help

cheers,

I hear people saying that drive is not working in Vista. Check twice to make sure. you will need software to burn although you can take advantage of vista's burning capabilities.
August 7, 2007 2:04:47 AM

There is a really basic labeling program here:
http://www.lightscribe.com/
You can at least do a LightScribe label right away,
don't get too excited though, it is really basic -
you need Nero or something else it's equal to do
advanced labels like those with images.
August 7, 2007 3:11:20 AM

becareful installing Nero on Vista. Unless you have the absolute latest version it will not complete. The worse part is that it will not completely uninstall the partial install either. Roxio works just fine and you are even warned if your version needs an update before completing the installation. I am sure that the heads up has something to do with Roxio providing the code for Vista's internal DVD burning functions.
August 7, 2007 2:40:16 PM

cool. thanks for everyone's input
October 16, 2007 8:16:54 PM

So is this drive working on your system? Just curious since I am having a problem with my SH-S203N OEM drive. :( 
!