My gpu screwing up and getting very hot.

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
my x1600pro out of nowhere started getting artifacts on startup. it gets hot to a point that it hurts to touch. i don't know what the problem is. if i could get help.

goldenboy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
well you havnt given much info...

im assuming your card uses a fan?is the fan spinning?is the heat sink properly secured to the gpu?sound as though the heat sink is not working,its the only way i could imagine a card randomely generating so much heat.other than that i would assume it to be some sort of malfunction which your waranty should cover

jplum1556

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
whats the temperature of the card? Also sometimes the fan can get clogged up with dust so you might want to take off the fan cover if there is one and clean it out.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Well, rather than messing around with it to the point where you may damage something else which may void your warranty, I suggest you sent it back to where you got it from and get it replaced.

laytons

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
i think 3 might be standard for redeon gpus. i only need it to start working so i can pawn it off on a friend and get a new better card.

darkace

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
some motherboards have more than one PCI slot. So if u have 2 PCI slots try using the other slot with the current video card and see if it works. IF it still doesn't work borrow a video card from a friend or soemthing and stick it into ur comp and if it works than that means theres something wrong with ur video card. If it still doesn't work than theres something wrong with ur motherboard.