Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P35 mobo for Q6600...final system component help

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 24, 2007 4:39:31 PM

I'm in the final stages of buying my system components for new build. Haven't built in almost 5 years (current is P4 2.4 Ghz). I've finally come to decision on a P35 chipset. I plan to do some overclock on a Q6600, primarily a gaming rig; don't need SLI.

So far I have bought:

Antec 900
Antec Neo HE550
BFG 8800GTS OC2 640mb
Tuniq Tower 120
(2) WD HDs 320gb
2 Gb Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800
Asus DVD Burner
Vista...(yeah I know...but its a from scratch build so I'm going with the future)

I'm fortunately going on vacation for about 10 days shortly, so I'm hoping in that time we'll start to see some of the new G-O stepped version of the Quad. I'll buy the processor and mobo at that time.

I've narrowed the MBs down to the following: Abit IP35 Pro ($185) or the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ($130)

The vanilla Abit IP35 is $35 cheaper than the pro, but I don't know if I will miss the omitted features. Is the LED error code readout on the Pro worth the money? I don't need Firewire (as far as I know). Any huge benefit to the 2 eSATAs on the Pro? Evidently there is a reset button on the Pro if an overclock goes south. I'm not sure how useful these features are. Anybody have comments. I did notice that the lower versions of the Abit IP35 had some boot issues (boot twice when computer turned on) and I don't know if those have been solved.

The Gigabyte board has been written up as being a solid board. It seems to have the features I want. It will overclock well, is somewhat future-proof and is easy to build with. I've never owned a gigabyte board. It is $55 cheaper than the Abit though. The Abit IP35 Pro seems a bit overpriced to me, but I've had good experiences with Abit boards (IT5H comes to mind....man am I old).

Hopefully by 2nd week in August the new G-O stepped Quads will be out and I can buy the board; then its GAME TIME !

One last thing...If I decide to buy a sound card, I've been reading about a lot of conflicts with Sound Blaster cards and the Nvidia 8800 video cards. I am going with Vista since it's a new build (don't know if I'll load 32 or 64 version yet). Can anyone recommend a no hassle sound card for this system.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
July 24, 2007 5:16:30 PM

You want to build a gaming rig.. and yet you don't want SLi.
How does that work out?
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2007 5:43:10 PM

I've been eyeing a very similar setup myself.

The only comment I have is why the Quad?

I'm a lot more familiar with Canadian pricing so that's what I'm going to use. After the price cuts the q6600 is ~$300, while the e6750 is ~$200, or an e4300/4500 are around the $150 dollar range.

Even after $50 for a good heatsink and the 4300 or 4500 will save about $100 compared to the quad (without heatsink). The 4500 should OC well into the 3GHz range (maybe even 3.5+) which will probably be higher than the Quad 6600.

And as the majority of games do not support multiple cores (yet) having a quad won't help with games. With the $100/150 you can save by using a nice Duo now, in a year+ you will probably be able to buy the quad (for ~$100).

As an added benefit in waiting to go quad, you can OC the Duo a little further without being as worried about frying it. Anytime your overclocking the lifespan of a CPU decreases, and in ~18 months if your going to go quad - a highly OC'd duo may need replacing anyways (which gives a perfect excuse to upgrade). And if it doesn't "need" replacing - you could always bump the voltage and see how high you can push the Duo.
Related resources
July 24, 2007 8:41:25 PM

Track said:
You want to build a gaming rig.. and yet you don't want SLi.
How does that work out?



Non-SLI gaming works just fine. Considering I do pretty well online and I'm only getting something like 20 fps in FEAR. Now that's skill!

In my experience and from what I have seen posted many times in various forums, SLI isn't the huge fps boost one might expect. I can't justify adding another $500 to my build so I can get a 20 or 30% boost in frames. My intent with this system was to squeeze as much performance into it for about $1500 (not including monitor). I'm also trying to future proof my system a bit since I don't build often. From what I've seen, in 18 months, I could throw in the latest vid card edition and it would outperform any SLI machine I could build today. I'll never have the "ultimate gaming machine". I tend to try to maximize performance while balancing cost. I buy one step down from the fastest video card and it seems to work out pretty well. Never gamed with SLI...I'm sure its awesome, but it comes at a price.

Obviously if I had to have the absolute fastest gaming machine, I wouldn't have chosen Vista right now;... but its today and the future that I'm building for.

As far as the Quad core; again looking towards the future. I'll sacrifice some fps today for more fps later down the road. From what I've read of the beta tests on the games coming out, the Quad core is gonna be a must. I'll sacrifice a bit today to get more mileage out of my system tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

July 24, 2007 11:54:26 PM

What about those 2 motherboards...any recommendations or other suggestions?
July 25, 2007 6:40:10 AM

gooman said:
What about those 2 motherboards...any recommendations or other suggestions?

Have you looked at the Asus P5K's? There are a bunch of them and I've just started looking at them.

I desperately needed a new comp last month but wanted to wait until the Q6600 prices came down so I bought an E4300. Then I decided that I wanted an X38 board and so I bought the Gigabyte GA-G33-DS2R so I could eventually put everything into an Antec NSK2400 and thus make an HTPC out of my spare parts.

Recently, I decided that DDR3 memory isn't going to be cheap enough anytime soon and so am abandoning the idea of waiting to get an X38 board. I'm going to get a P35 board instead. I'm currently leaning towards the Asus P5KC or the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R. The DDR2/DDR3 support of both of these boards is a future-proofing scheme. No firewire on the Gigabyte P35C model though. :(  The P5KC has the ICH9 instead of the ICH9R SouthBridge so no Matrix Raid.

Then again, I've just noticed that the Egg has 680i boards on rebate and competitively priced with the higher end P35 boards.
July 25, 2007 9:02:25 AM

gooman said:
What about those 2 motherboards...any recommendations or other suggestions?

Well the IP35 is a top of the range mobo so really compares against the DQ6. Things like the POST reporter & uGuru's hardware monitoring/fan control are nice to have but not essential.
Same with the 2nd x16 (physical, x4 electrical) PCI-E slot & the 2nd GB LAN.
If you don't have the budget & don't need them then you can live without them.
Judging by your choice of boards you do need Intel RAID or you could even drop down to something like the IP35-E at ~$100 (mind you mwave have the IP35 @$113 after rebate which is a pretty good deal).

I'm sure that you would be happy with any of them.
July 25, 2007 10:04:10 AM

gooman said:
SLI isn't the huge fps boost one might expect. I can't justify adding another $500 to my build so I can get a 20 or 30% boost in frames.


You don't have any idea what SLi is..

You're supposed to buy the second card when it goes down in price.

For instense, you can buy an 8800 GTX for 500$ right now, and another one in 6 months when it only costs 300$, or even later than that and spend only 200$. That way you will get 9800 GTX performance and spend only 200$ more.
July 25, 2007 3:48:59 PM

Track said:
You don't have any idea what SLi is..

You're supposed to buy the second card when it goes down in price.

For instense, you can buy an 8800 GTX for 500$ right now, and another one in 6 months when it only costs 300$, or even later than that and spend only 200$. That way you will get 9800 GTX performance and spend only 200$ more.


ah...ya I do know what it is and I know the theory. I've read at least 100 posts over many years that say it ain't worth it; and I've read enough video card roundups and reviews to know what the benefits are. So you think to be a serious gamer, you need 2 video cards? I don't think so. Let's face it, I'm gaming online with a PC that is almost 5 yrs old (P4 2.4, ATI 9500Pro on an basic Asus board with 4X AGP). I play the latest games and I do not get owned by anybody (most of the time). I find that my online gaming performance has as much to do with where the server is located than my video card to be perfectly honest. That's probably due to my pathetic system. Granted, I'm gaming at a pretty low resolution due to the old hardware, but it works.

Lets see... I paid $316 for the BFG8800GTS OC2 640mb (bestbuy.com one day sale). So for SLI & 2 video cards, I need to buy a more expensive mobo to run it and a bigger power supply now...say $200 total. If I pay $200 for another GTS one year later, that's $400 additional. What would I have for the extra money? Starting one year from today, I would have a graphics subsystem that is about as fast as a single 8800 GTX is today, maybe a little quicker. For my situation, that doesn't make sense. If I was getting a 50% boost or something...I'd go along with it. For $300, I'll buy a ####GTS in 2 years that will outdo any SLI 8800GTX of today. The added cost, complication of SLI, power draw, added heat generation and case crowding isn't worth it to me.

Honestly, I wish I could have justified a 8800 GTX now, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The money I saved will buy my motherboard and cooling kit. I've got a budget ya know :??:  Plus, in a year or two, I think my kids system might just need a graphics card upgrade... ;)  That's when I'll pick up my 9000GTS or whatever its gonna be called.

Track...if your runnin SLI, you definitely have bragging rights over me, but that's not always what counts.

Keep workin on me though, I do try to be open minded. Maybe I'll see the light some day.
July 25, 2007 5:02:42 PM

lensman said:
Have you looked at the Asus P5K's? There are a bunch of them and I've just started looking at them.

I desperately needed a new comp last month but wanted to wait until the Q6600 prices came down so I bought an E4300. Then I decided that I wanted an X38 board and so I bought the Gigabyte GA-G33-DS2R so I could eventually put everything into an Antec NSK2400 and thus make an HTPC out of my spare parts.

Recently, I decided that DDR3 memory isn't going to be cheap enough anytime soon and so am abandoning the idea of waiting to get an X38 board. I'm going to get a P35 board instead. I'm currently leaning towards the Asus P5KC or the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R. The DDR2/DDR3 support of both of these boards is a future-proofing scheme. No firewire on the Gigabyte P35C model though. :(  The P5KC has the ICH9 instead of the ICH9R SouthBridge so no Matrix Raid.

Then again, I've just noticed that the Egg has 680i boards on rebate and competitively priced with the higher end P35 boards.



Yeah, I looked at the P5K and it was one of the final 4 that I narrowed it down to. But I did a bunch of reading on it and the various posts seemed to have some negative stuff I didn't want to deal with. Asus was always top notch from my own experience (I've had 3 or 4 of their boards), but evidently they are having some quality control issues from what I've gathered. From what limited info there is on X35 chipset mobos, the two boards I'm looking at seem to have the most solid reviews. I've only ever used Asus or Abit boards, so I'm a little hesitant on the Gigabyte board. All those DS3 mobos have gotten fantastic reviews though; especially the early chipsets. It seems hard to get through my head that a board that is $55 cheaper is as good as the Abit IP35 Pro. I don't plan on any crazy overclock for the Q6600. I agree with you that DDR3 is too early for prime time. Decisions...Decisions

Thanks for the info
July 25, 2007 5:11:52 PM

menetlaus said:

The only comment I have is why the Quad?


I've waited this long, so I'm getting the benefit of the big price cuts. I can get a Q6600 at Frys for $289 US. At that price, I'd be :pt1cable:  not to buy it. There isn't really a down side as far as I see. I spend a few dollars more to be able to have a spare E6600 under the hood when I need it. From what I've been reading, you'll want a quad next year anyway. I've got to buy mine now and it has to last, so I've got to get the Quad now. Another reason I'm not going to overclock too high...it has to last. I will probably not overclock at all to start and see how things go.
August 14, 2007 9:33:16 PM

The Giga boards are crazy successful and affordable. OC like nuts. Do you REALLY need a mobo LCD readout to tell you that you've installed the vid card incorrectly or that your OC wasn't stable and restarted at POST? Come on, really.........it's just for bragging rights.

As for SLI, Goo is making wrong assumptions.....that the card will soon be $300. Won't happen. Look at the historical FACTS. Companies do NOT want to lose money....they don't drop card prices foolishly.

Want proof?

7900 GTX. Not long ago, people were saying, I got 7900 GTX's in SLI, they're da bomb, they pwn everything on the market!! Ya, for how long? 8800 GTS comes out, costs cheaper than dual 7900 GTX's and SPANKS THEM. What's to brag about there? Costs more, sucks more power, produces more heat, is less stable.......really bragging rights there, for sure. Not.

SLI only makes sense when you game at extremely high resolutions. The notion that you'll add another card when it's cheaper is marketing hype, not fact. By the time the card comes down in price, a new card will be out that costs less total, produces less heat, sucks less power, is more stable, and BEATS the lower SLI cards. That is FACT, not opinion.

SLI only makes sense if you are bleeding edge and game at VERY high resolutions. Otherwise, any good single card will do the trick, you'll have money from selling it when you upgrade to the 9800GTX and it'll beat those lowly 8800 GTX's. Then who's got the bragging rights and who looks like the fool?

;) 
August 15, 2007 12:04:29 AM

Finally someone who IMO has given SLI the bashing it deserves...
August 15, 2007 2:17:23 AM

I'm currently running the GA-P35C-DSR3 and I really like it. Like it more than my old ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, but then again it's old, ha.

Anyways, the board is great. I haven't had any problems with it, the documentation is good if you really need it and it's stable. It OC's the Q6600 easily and well. It wasn't until I saw on a forum how to change RAM timings so I thought you couldn't but you can. The board has everything you need to OC just about any part of the system. The BIOS it shipped with is totally stable, no issues. (Version F2, 05/21/2007) I'm liking the board so far. I recommend it.
August 15, 2007 5:17:22 AM

haha i have 2x ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe they are still going strong infact one is running server2003
August 15, 2007 6:32:23 AM

skyguy said:

SLI only makes sense when you game at extremely high resolutions. The notion that you'll add another card when it's cheaper is marketing hype, not fact. By the time the card comes down in price, a new card will be out that costs less total, produces less heat, sucks less power, is more stable, and BEATS the lower SLI cards. That is FACT, not opinion.

SLI only makes sense if you are bleeding edge and game at VERY high resolutions. Otherwise, any good single card will do the trick, you'll have money from selling it when you upgrade to the 9800GTX and it'll beat those lowly 8800 GTX's. Then who's got the bragging rights and who looks like the fool?

;) 

While I totally agree with you I feel that I should point out that with x38 both pci E 16 slots will be utilizing all the pipelines. So your getting, in theory, full rendering capacity from each card. No more 30 percent from one of the cards. This could cause a loophole in your fact if this is what really happens.
But yes, forget the SLI for the moment.
August 15, 2007 1:59:39 PM

1) I understand about the X38's abilities......I'll actually be testing it before its launch, along with some new G92's shortly thereafter......helps to have "connections" ;)  I'll be running full benchies.....except I doubt the forum admin Nazis here will let me link to another site, even if it is "info sharing" and not "competition". But whatever

2) I'm not bashing SLI. I simply wish to shed some light on its pros and cons, and educate a few people of some common misconceptions about SLI. SLI is good, but only in a very limited set of circumstances. For 99.99% of the population and 95% of the gamer population, SLI does NOT make sense. The simple fact is that I have hard numbers on what % of "most" people use as their resolution.....it's VERY small on the high-rez end.......which means the remaining people use SLI because they were duped by marketing hype or want to brag that their SLI rig pwnzors everyone cuz they get some leet 525 fps or whatever, blindly thinking that somehow makes them get better scores......probably teenagers that blew their paycheck unfortunately in the hopes that it roxors everyone's soxors cuz they pwn da bomb yo!!!!11!!1!!!!

;) 


uh huh............
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2007 3:56:51 PM

skyguy said:
1) I understand about the X38's abilities......I'll actually be testing it before its launch, along with some new G92's shortly thereafter......helps to have "connections" ;)  I'll be running full benchies.....except I doubt the forum admin Nazis here will let me link to another site, even if it is "info sharing" and not "competition". But whatever

2) I'm not bashing SLI. I simply wish to shed some light on its pros and cons, and educate a few people of some common misconceptions about SLI. SLI is good, but only in a very limited set of circumstances. For 99.99% of the population and 95% of the gamer population, SLI does NOT make sense. The simple fact is that I have hard numbers on what % of "most" people use as their resolution.....it's VERY small on the high-rez end.......which means the remaining people use SLI because they were duped by marketing hype or want to brag that their SLI rig pwnzors everyone cuz they get some leet 525 fps or whatever, blindly thinking that somehow makes them get better scores......probably teenagers that blew their paycheck unfortunately in the hopes that it roxors everyone's soxors cuz they pwn da bomb yo!!!!11!!1!!!!

;) 


uh huh............

[:mousemonkey:1] Your 'facts' and opinions on Sli are interesting, wrong, IMHO but interesting nonetheless.
August 15, 2007 6:50:44 PM

hmmmm.....I guess it makes perfect sense to run SLI with 7600GT's because the price has dropped now? So when someone bought one when it was $270 and can get "another one cheap" now for $100, for a total of $370......and considering an 8800GTS 320 can be purchased for $100 less than that and will spank 7600GT's in SLI (as a perfect example of the "great" logic of using SLI) back into yesteryear.

Let's project ahead, shall we? By following historical FACT of the prices of cards, the 8800GTX's in SLI will run you $1000, plus or minus, depending whether you wait a LONG time to get the 2nd one, or got them together. So instead, we wait until the next big card is released, it WON'T be $1000, and will have to have a LARGE performance increase, because as we've seen from historical FACT, a simple refresh (ie--7900 GTO, 8800 Ultra, etc, etc, etc) does not account for that needed performance boost to justify a double-the-price cost. Top end cards have been creeping up in total price, this is true, but they are not double what the previous generation's top end card was when it first launched. Again, this is FACT, simply look at the prices of the cards when they launched, there is no need for opinion.

So while your ever-insightful input thoroughtly fails to provide any sense of a rational argument or FACTS, and is merely clouded as apparently knowledgeable without any support, I could caution those here that aren't as "in the know" as you are to check their FACTS before they consider getting a cheap card to go SLI.

That's the beauty of naysayers.....they don't have to support their claims with fact or proof....just a simple foolish statement is enough to stir the proverbial pot.....



Class dismissed.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2007 7:09:43 PM

skyguy said:
hmmmm.....I guess it makes perfect sense to run SLI with 7600GT's because the price has dropped now? So when someone bought one when it was $270 and can get "another one cheap" now for $100, for a total of $370......and considering an 8800GTS 320 can be purchased for $100 less than that and will spank 7600GT's in SLI (as a perfect example of the "great" logic of using SLI) back into yesteryear.

Let's project ahead, shall we? By following historical FACT of the prices of cards, the 8800GTX's in SLI will run you $1000, plus or minus, depending whether you wait a LONG time to get the 2nd one, or got them together. So instead, we wait until the next big card is released, it WON'T be $1000, and will have to have a LARGE performance increase, because as we've seen from historical FACT, a simple refresh (ie--7900 GTO, 8800 Ultra, etc, etc, etc) does not account for that needed performance boost to justify a double-the-price cost. Top end cards have been creeping up in total price, this is true, but they are not double what the previous generation's top end card was when it first launched. Again, this is FACT, simply look at the prices of the cards when they launched, there is no need for opinion.

So while your ever-insightful input thoroughtly fails to provide any sense of a rational argument or FACTS, and is merely clouded as apparently knowledgeable without any support, I could caution those here that aren't as "in the know" as you are to check their FACTS before they consider getting a cheap card to go SLI.

That's the beauty of naysayers.....they don't have to support their claims with fact or proof....just a simple foolish statement is enough to stir the proverbial pot.....



Class dismissed.

The convoluted stuff above is good enough reason not to have attended any class you may hold, as I've been running 7900GT's in Sli for over a year now I know full well by first hand experience what the benefits are, so no apple for 'teacher' from me :kaola: 
August 15, 2007 8:23:11 PM

Crossfire and SLI seem pointless to me. What makes SLI so much better now that Nvidia is doing it instead of 3dfx? Probably should have just stayed dead with 3dfx. Instead of buying two cards to SLI, just buy the very best one, save the money from the second card and buy better parts for everything else. Or use the money you saved to replace the card when the next latest and greatest comes out.

Honestly, what's the point in SLI if you're not running 1600x1200 or greater? Those kinds of monitors that can go that high aren't cheap themselves.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2007 8:34:55 PM

Lopez0101 said:
Crossfire and SLI seem pointless to me. What makes SLI so much better now that Nvidia is doing it instead of 3dfx? Probably should have just stayed dead with 3dfx. Instead of buying two cards to SLI, just buy the very best one, save the money from the second card and buy better parts for everything else. Or use the money you saved to replace the card when the next latest and greatest comes out.

Honestly, what's the point in SLI if you're not running 1600x1200 or greater? Those kinds of monitors that can go that high aren't cheap themselves.


3Dfx's Sli = Scan Line Interface
Nvidia's Sli = Scalable Link Interface

taken from Nvidia's website

'NVIDIA SLI technology differs in many ways. First, 3dfx’s SLI technology was implemented on a shared bus using PCI. The PCI bus delivered ~100MB/sec. of bus throughput, while PCI Express is a point-to-point interface that can deliver ~60x the total bandwidth of PCI. Second, 3dfx’s SLI technology performed interleaving of scan lines, and combined in the analog domain, which could result in image quality issues due to DAC differences and other factors. 3dfx Voodoo technology also only performed triangle setup, leaving the geometry workload for the CPU. This meant 3dfx’s SLI technology only scaled simple texture fill rate, and then used inter-frame scalability. NVIDIA SLI technology is PCI Express based, uses a completely digital frame combining method that has no impact on image quality, can scale geometry performance, and supports a variety of scalability algorithms to best match the scalability method with application demands.'

And I can tell you that it makes a difference at 1280x1024 because that what I game at.
August 15, 2007 9:18:42 PM

Well I'll admit I didn't know their differences were so large, shrug.

I guess to further break it down it depends on what type of person you are. Do you require that a game run at 60FPS or greater at max settings or are you perfectly happy with a game running at 30FPS+ with all settings maxed. I'm talking games that have come out recently. I'm perfectly happy with a single 2900XT and I was perfectly happy with my single X800XT. Budget is also important, I'd rather spend the extra few hundred dollars on a console to broaden the range of games I could play.
August 16, 2007 12:15:36 AM

Lemme break it down to the remedial class for you mouse......

Single 8800 > 7900GTs in SLI

Actually, 8800 Ultra > ANY DX9 cards in SLI.



There ya go. Can't tell it much simpler than that. If you still don't understand, try hanging out at CNET, it's only one step lower than THG now.
August 16, 2007 2:04:29 AM

Touchee ! (you got it !) Many years ago I sat in university hall to listen to a phone company marketing v.p.
talk about nurturing an idea : that because most houses had a single phone; selling them another 3 units
would boost sales by 400 %. It got snickers and chuckles. Convincing people to sli is like extra gravy to the company bottom line . :bounce: 
August 16, 2007 5:28:40 AM

I think SLI is funny, actually. I could get 100 FPS on any game with an 8800GTX maxed settings, or I could get 130FPS with two 8800GTXs. Now, what would be the point of the extra 30 FPS when you won't even notice the difference? So these people are paying at least 1000 dollars extra for an unnoticeable FPS increase (and even more choppy FPS since there is no Vsync for SLI I believe)? Well that sounds absolutely insane, when considering in no time the next card will come out to blow away both those 8800GTXs in SLI for half the price.

I believe the human eye can produce fluid motion with 30FPS, and can't really notice a difference over 60FPS. So what's the point of overkill? :pt1cable: 
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2007 6:22:56 AM

skyguy said:
Lemme break it down to the remedial class for you mouse......

Single 8800 > 7900GTs in SLI

Actually, 8800 Ultra > ANY DX9 cards in SLI.



There ya go. Can't tell it much simpler than that. If you still don't understand, try hanging out at CNET, it's only one step lower than THG now.

So you had your 8800 at the end of July '06 did you?, I was under the impression that they were not released until the end of the year and at what point did I write that 7900GT's were better than a single 8800?
August 16, 2007 3:36:37 PM

You just validated my point actually, so thank you. That WAS the point.....that a single upcoming card will beat the previous models in SLI. So to answer the OP's question: can he wait a little longer and then he'll be ALOT better off, or is he happy to go SLI now, knowing it'll be beat soon by a faster, cheaper single card?

And I wrote that 7900GT's in SLI get beat by an 8800. Your profile says you have that setup, so I figured I would use it as an example, to prove the point that SLI cards will be beat by the next gen single card. That was the whole point.....that SLI only makes sense in very limited circumstances, but you unfortunately missed that point. So your setup would indicate you believe the 7900's in SLI is a better choice than an 8800....which it isn't. Do you see the point now?

I'm not out to make fun of you Mouse, or disrespect you......I'm out to help educate the newbies who are trying to understand the value (or not) of SLI and its pros/cons. Those of us who are more knowlegeable or have been here longer have an obligation to help them and give them ACCURATE information and facts. Isn't that the whole point of these forums??

We must be very careful we don't give someone bad advice, then they end up wasting ALOT of money. We wouldn't like that if we were in their shoes, so we must provide accurate facts and info so they can make an informed decision. Otherwise, we not only wrong them, but we give this place a bad name for being a place that gives out bad info and foolish advice.

I'd rather not have that happen, that's all I've been trying to explain. I hope that makes sense. It's nothing personal, but I would hate to see someone leave here with a bad taste in their mouth because someone with a closed mind wouldn't accept the facts. So it's not an argument I'm provoking, I'm simply trying to correct some misinformation about SLI, that's all.

Hope that helps.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2007 5:11:44 PM

skyguy said:
You just validated my point actually, so thank you. That WAS the point.....that a single upcoming card will beat the previous models in SLI. So to answer the OP's question: can he wait a little longer and then he'll be ALOT better off, or is he happy to go SLI now, knowing it'll be beat soon by a faster, cheaper single card?

And I wrote that 7900GT's in SLI get beat by an 8800. Your profile says you have that setup, so I figured I would use it as an example, to prove the point that SLI cards will be beat by the next gen single card. That was the whole point.....that SLI only makes sense in very limited circumstances, but you unfortunately missed that point. So your setup would indicate you believe the 7900's in SLI is a better choice than an 8800....which it isn't. Do you see the point now?

I'm not out to make fun of you Mouse, or disrespect you......I'm out to help educate the newbies who are trying to understand the value (or not) of SLI and its pros/cons. Those of us who are more knowlegeable or have been here longer have an obligation to help them and give them ACCURATE information and facts. Isn't that the whole point of these forums??

We must be very careful we don't give someone bad advice, then they end up wasting ALOT of money. We wouldn't like that if we were in their shoes, so we must provide accurate facts and info so they can make an informed decision. Otherwise, we not only wrong them, but we give this place a bad name for being a place that gives out bad info and foolish advice.

I'd rather not have that happen, that's all I've been trying to explain. I hope that makes sense. It's nothing personal, but I would hate to see someone leave here with a bad taste in their mouth because someone with a closed mind wouldn't accept the facts. So it's not an argument I'm provoking, I'm simply trying to correct some misinformation about SLI, that's all.

Hope that helps.

Well the original OP stated that they were not interested in Sli, which was queried, then later you responded with the dare I say it usual 'only works at extreme res' spiel
Quote:
SLI only makes sense when you game at extremely high resolutions. The notion that you'll add another card when it's cheaper is marketing hype, not fact. By the time the card comes down in price, a new card will be out that costs less total, produces less heat, sucks less power, is more stable, and BEATS the lower SLI cards. That is FACT, not opinion.
And as a user of Sli I know that it works at lower res and when the second card was bought for less than the first the 8800's were not released, my two 7900GT's in game run at around 45c-47c each 90c-94c collectively whereas my friends 8800GTs 320 regularly hits 97c, power we've never measured but I've had no stability problems and we run about the same score in 3D'06, so from my point of view and from what I have experienced your facts do not hold up.

At no point have put I forth the notion or indicated that Sli'd 7900GT's are a better choice than a single 8800, that is an assumption you have made yourself after viewing my profile and it is an incorrect one. Following my comment on your facts and opinions on Sli to be wrong, interesting, which they were, but still wrong, you responded with the post ending 'class dismissed' and in a later post you inferred that I should be in a 'remedial class' and step down to what you regard as a lesser/lower forum or website, remarks which I see as an effort to try and insult me in some way, form or fashion.

Whilst I agree that we are all here to help out those new to the world of building and tweaking their own computers I think it's wrong and unfair to let our own bias cloud the advice given, you have made it quite clear that you are not a supporter of the dual graphic card implementation, and that's fine, each to their own, but as an advocate of Sli I do not recall ever knowingly giving out misleading information regarding Sli and have tried to limit myself to suggesting it as an option that should be left open and of posting screen shots that show a universally accepted benchmark that has been run with a single 7900GT and then again with Sli'd 7900GT's at what is considered to be lower than Sli resolutions i.e 1280x1024, after which I feel that people can make up their own minds as to whether it is right for them.
August 16, 2007 5:19:50 PM

I used to run SLI actually, and gave it up in favor of a single, better card and am quite happy with it. I've run or tested almost every major "high end" card on the market, and find a single high-end card to provide the best combination of performance and price.

But no point in endlessly beating this to death........so to each their own I guess. We shall agree to disagree and life goes on.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2007 5:28:40 PM

Agreed, peace out dude.
August 21, 2007 4:01:48 PM

I have narrowed it down to:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Abit IP-35 Pro or -E

I thought about the DQ6 but it's so expensive. The issue I have with the DS3R board is that there is now a rev. 2.0 and I don't think it will be any more expensive than the current rev. 1.0 board. But, the 2.0 board isn't out yet? It could be months until it's out?

I would like to go with the DS3R board on price but the changes on the 2.0 board might be useful or at least indicate improvements for the same price.

All the Gigabytes are quad-ready, right? The DS3 series are also 8 phase while the DQ6 is 12 phase. Does that make any difference if you're using a Quad (it's G0).

Is the Abit Ip-35 Pro 8 or 12 phase?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2007 5:03:10 PM

Canuck1 said:
I have narrowed it down to:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Abit IP-35 Pro or -E

I thought about the DQ6 but it's so expensive. The issue I have with the DS3R board is that there is now a rev. 2.0 and I don't think it will be any more expensive than the current rev. 1.0 board. But, the 2.0 board isn't out yet? It could be months until it's out?

I would like to go with the DS3R board on price but the changes on the 2.0 board might be useful or at least indicate improvements for the same price.

All the Gigabytes are quad-ready, right? The DS3 series are also 8 phase while the DQ6 is 12 phase. Does that make any difference if you're using a Quad (it's G0).

Is the Abit Ip-35 Pro 8 or 12 phase?

According to this review neither, it's a 4 phase :-
Quote:
Four-phase processor voltage regulator circuitry uses solid-state capacitors and the MOSFET transistors packed into convenient groups are covered with a heatsink
the full review can be found here :- http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/abit-ip35-pro.html#sect0
August 21, 2007 9:03:55 PM

I use the P35C-DS3R and I really like it, overclocks great in everyway and I'm using a Q6600 B3 on it. The layout is great except for the IDE connector being near the bottom of the board and if you're putting in a long graphics card it doesn't really block anything that I can remember (I have a 2900XT in mine). Can't go wrong with it.
!