CPU upgrade for Dell GX520 with BTX board

wralyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I've got a Dell GX520 with a BTX mb. I want to upgrade the CPU from a celeron 2.56 to a P4 3.4 (650). I have seen boxed CPUs advertising a BTX thermal solution.

Is the CPU (LGA775) in the BTX box different than the basic box? I already have a heat sink, which I think is the thermal solution. I just need the CPU, but don't want to buy one that won't work in my system.

I'm not "new" to PC repair, but I am new to the newer designs and variety of CPUs on the market.

And for the record...
Yes, I know that the Prescott CPUs run hot.
Yes, I know the difference between BTX and ATX boards.
Yes, I know that Intel has dropped the BTX design.
Yes, I know that my Foxconn motherboard in the GX520 is cheap.
But I also know how much I need to spend and how much new components and case will cost. Not to be a butthead, but I've seen all these comments in my search for answers.

Thanks for your help!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
The only substantial difference between a BTX kit and a regular kit is that the former comes with a BTX "thermal module" instead of a standard ATX heatsink. As long as you have some kind of BTX heatsink and you're sure that the CPU will work with your board, you're fine.

EDIT: Upon looking at Dell's description of your computer, you're running on a measly 230W PSU. Before you do anything, open your case and check the statistics on the side of the PSU. If you're running one of those, that'll need to be upgraded as well.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You're missing Maverick's point, he probably meant why even bother upgrading that? Just save up for a new build instead.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006

yes your quite right, that is what i ment, perhaps you dont have the money but really if your only going to a p4, there is really no point and is sort of a waste of money. It would be best if you just saved up your money.