Big upgrade, now can't boot/reinstall windows

My "beta testers'" copy of Vista recently expired and i decided that I may aswell upgrade my system when reinstalling.

I upgraded my motherboard from a PCChips P23G (classy I know!) to an Asus P5k-E WIFI-AP, and simultaniously got an ati radeon x1300pro.

I know this a rubbish graphics card but i needed a pci card that could output to my old vga monitor till i can afford to upgrade that and this card was dirt cheap and has vga and dvi.

When I booted the system it would POST fine, and getting into the BIOS was no problem. I set it to boot from DVD first and HDD second and rebooted. On boot it POSTs etc, then the screen goes blank but for the CMD cursor blinking in the top left. after about a minute it gives up and tries to boot from HDD where the load screen appears for a fraction of a second, blinks, BSOD for a fraction of a second, then reboots.

I've checked all the connections and all seems well.

The thought did cross my mind about more power, but with such a piddly graphics card, a 450W PSU should be fine despite my Pentium D?

If anyone's got any advice or has had this problem before, that'd be wonderful!
14 answers Last reply
More about upgrade boot reinstall windows
  1. You didn't mention anywhere that you formatted your HDD and then reinstalled windows with the new components.

So you would want to do that first.
  2. I was just gonna format it from the windows installer, but can't get that far. Better if I scrub it first?
  3. First make sure that you have a bootable version of Windows Vista/XP - as far as I am concerned upgrade discs are not bootable(correct me if I'm wrong here).

Another thing you should check is that in your BIOS it correctly recognising your CD/DVD drive and that the cables are connected securely.
  4. It sounds as if your DVD is not bootable. Can you check it on someone else's PC?
  5. The DVD is an OEM so should definitely be bootable.
    The cables are all in place and have been checked and re-checked. The DVD drive's coming up fine in the BIOS and was working before the overhaul.
  6. Is it a SATA drive or IDE? Check all the boot order options in your BIOS.
    Many OEM disks are not bootable, especially upgrade disks to systems you already have.
  7. Surely if it is OS, the disk would be bootable?
  8. ffchocobo said:
    First make sure that you have a bootable version of Windows Vista/XP - as far as I am concerned upgrade discs are not bootable(correct me if I'm wrong here).

I have both retail XP and Vista Upgrade discs. Both are bootable. The "beta testers" version the OP has may not be bootable though. Do as someone else suggested and try to boot another system with the disc to ensure it is bootable.

If you're using a SATA DVD drive, make sure the BIOS is set to IDE compatibility mode. Post back what you've tried and we'll continue to troubleshoot.
  9. After a bit more research it appears I need the OEM Pre-installation Kit (OPK) to install direct from the disc, however, I have tried some of the discs I had previously used (Beta2 and RC1) and these will not boot either. I know that these are bootable because I've done this before!

So I still have the problem of a computer that won't boot from DVD. I'm gonna pop into work in a bit to borrow another DVD drive, and a drivescrubber floppy, see if I can get it working by scrubbing the HDD then booting one of my older version OS (B2, RC1) to see where abouts the problem lies.

Gonna pop into the shop where I bought the OEM aswell, ask if they can give me the OPK.

Will let you know what happens later today or tomorrow (GMT).
  10. Video cards that only have DVI outputs come with a DVI to VGA adapter..... If you bought that card based on the VGA output, you kinda wasted some cash, although I am sure it was not much.
  11. I couldn't afford much more than I spent anyway (£26!), but that's a good point!
    I should know that from our last batch of machines at work, we've got 50 odd dvi/vga leads kicking around!
    It's hardly a gaming machine yet though, so I'm sure I'll live!

My lord, that's a lot of exclamation marks I've put in...
  12. I think I've found the problem.
    Don't laugh.
    I'm trying to run DDR2-533 RAM in a board that supports 666 800 and 1066!

Amateur!
  13. mi1ez said:
    I think I've found the problem.
    Don't laugh.
    I'm trying to run DDR2-533 RAM in a board that supports 666 800 and 1066!

Amateur!

Ooops :non:

Shows how hard it is to diagnose and fix a problem via a forum I guess.
  14. mi1ez said:
    After a bit more research it appears I need the OEM Pre-installation Kit (OPK) to install direct from the disc...Gonna pop into the shop where I bought the OEM aswell, ask if they can give me the OPK.
    Don't bother, the OEM pre-installation kit is for large scale OEM builders. The OEM disk is bootable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot Systems