Sign in with
Your question

Is transfering a program file the same as installing?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 14, 2010 3:59:45 AM

Heres the deal: I had a rather large mmo game installed on my moms laptop, and decided i wanted to transfer it to my computer because i have a better gpu. Anyway i just went into program files and copied the whole folder, and pasted it in my program file. Is this the same thing as it would be if i were to download the game directly to my pc and install it?

I ask because it runs terribly, really not at all on my pc. My moms laptop is vista, though, and mine is xp; could that have anything to do with it?
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2010 5:36:02 AM

Installation normally involves more than simply copying files. For example, values might be added, or changed, in the Registry.

Easy solution - download the installation file and try installing; if it still runs slow then your problem lies elsewhere.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2010 9:21:48 AM

You can't really transfer a program from one computer to another. Not only does the installation program create a folder in Program Files it could also create registry entries, create shortcuts or put files in the Windows or Windows\System32 folder.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 12:52:34 AM

Thanks for clarifying.
Is there a way i could transfer the files to System 32? the reason why is because currently my internet is tethered through my cell phone, and downloading the game again would take forever.
m
l
a b D Laptop
January 15, 2010 6:11:08 AM

I'm afraid there's no easy way of knowing what files and registry settings are needed. Do you not have a friend who could download the file for you?
m
l
!