Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P35-DS3P + e6750 overclock guide

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 25, 2007 3:50:55 AM

Ok, so i know i shouldn't overclock using guides because not all cpus are the same etc. HOWEVER, if you guys could help me come up with a guide for a small to moderate overclock, i'm sure it shouldn't create too much havoc... and i can obviously move up from then onwards.

hardware in question:
-------------------------------
E6750 1333mhz 8x multi
P35-DS3P
2GB 800mhz OCZ-System Elite
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
8800GTS 320MB PCIe
*Good case ventilation, room temp is cool.

I'd like to get to about 3.3Ghz (or thereabouts) and then i guess i'll do the rest on my own.
If you can refer to the P35-DS3P bios terminology that'd help a lot.

do i touch the voltage?
what multiplier do i use?
what settings do i disable/enable?
etc.
July 25, 2007 4:08:40 AM

A very simple over clock for ur Spec will be:

Before overclocking
Disable All CPU features like Enhanced Speed Step, C1E(Enhanced Halt State), TM2....Etc

Set Vcore to manual and set it to about 1.25 volts (Standard Vcore for ur CPU)

1. Lower the DRAM frequency to 667MHZ from 800Mhz so it will be FSB:RAM=1:1

Update : Set ur PCIe frequency to Manual and set it to 100MHz just to be sure it wont go high and do Video card Probs

2. Increase the FSB to 400MHz from 333Mhz(your stock speed) dont change the multiplyer leave it at 8 or Auto.
When you do this ur DRAM frequency will increase to 800MHz so itll be running on stock speed, No OC on Ram

3. And u got a overclock of 3.2GHz

4. And if ur system is not stable enough Increase the Vcore just a little bit and itll all be fine...

5. Keep ur Eye on the CPU temp all the time, dont let them pass : CPU temp>65 Core#0 >75 Core#1 >75...use speed fan or Core Temp to monitor the Temps

6. Run Orthos for a few hours to test the Stability..if it dont return any errors u are all done

Remember this the simplest OCing u can do..

happy Ocing dont fry ur CPU :D 

July 25, 2007 4:12:37 AM

hehe, awesome, thanks zeraphine. good concise guide. does anyone have anything to add?
Related resources
July 25, 2007 4:36:14 AM

Hi, I have the similar setup: P35 DS3R + E6750. Though first time to OC. My impression is that the OC is done in BIOS. Is it possible you can get into the windows system and OC it using some Windows based applications? (I know some motherboard comes with the function, can't remember which one). Also, if the CPU is OCed, will XP consider the hardware has been changed hence you have to reactivate it? Many thanks.
July 25, 2007 4:51:25 AM

Nonmem said:
Hi, I have the similar setup: P35 DS3R + E6750. Though first time to OC. My impression is that the OC is done in BIOS. Is it possible you can get into the windows system and OC it using some Windows based applications? (I know some motherboard comes with the function, can't remember which one). Also, if the CPU is OCed, will XP consider the hardware has been changed hence you have to reactivate it? Many thanks.


I advise not to use Windows based Overclocking utilities...they can cause too many problems(a lot of them)...just use the Bios to do overclocking...yes Almost all Mobos have OCing Utilities Ex: Asus have some thing called AI Suit..this app will directly modify the bios settings from windows...but i find it rather annoying...

if u do ur overclocking on a software level the next time u reboot ur overclocking will be gone...if u do it too much the machine wont boot atall untill u cut the power to the machine and do a full reset...

just do it the hard way its more rewarding :D 
July 25, 2007 5:04:06 AM

COB-86 said:
does anyone have anything to add?


And if you want to go even higher than 3.2GHz (i think not nessasary cause at 3.2 GHz itll be fast enough to do anything)..ur going to need some serious cooling + seriously Fast RAM


ull have to increase the Vcore, Ram voltage, Northbridge Voltage, Etc ...results in generating a lot of heat + it will most probably decrease the life ur CPU...But hey it can be done, i have seen ppl overclocking Core2 Duos more than 3.7 Ghz....

anyways good luck
July 25, 2007 8:20:32 AM

According to the following link, my ram is 1.8V and has timings of 5-5-5-15, and has the ability to run at 4-4-4-13. It also says I can use 2.0V +/- 5% without invalidating my warranty.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_p... em_elite_dual_channel

Will my ram be up to standard?

is the idea to set the voltage to 2.1, then lift the FSB?

also, it was suggested to me that i drop the CPU multiplier to 6x and slowly lift the FSB, testing it running MemTest

is that slowly lift the FSB from 333mhz upwards, or 400mhz upwards?

also, what's the protocol with increasing the fsb... do you just increase it bits at a time, then restart and see if it posts, then increase it some more? (until it won't post?)
once i've reached a maximum fsb, is this when i run memtest?
after that, do i increase the multiplier back to 8x?
July 25, 2007 5:20:55 PM

Zeraphine said:
I advise not to use Windows based Overclocking utilities...they can cause too many problems(a lot of them)...just use the Bios to do overclocking...yes Almost all Mobos have OCing Utilities Ex: Asus have some thing called AI Suit..this app will directly modify the bios settings from windows...but i find it rather annoying...

if u do ur overclocking on a software level the next time u reboot ur overclocking will be gone...if u do it too much the machine wont boot atall untill u cut the power to the machine and do a full reset...

just do it the hard way its more rewarding :D 


Thank you Zeraphine. You made it sound really simple to OC 6750 to 3.2GHz :D 
July 29, 2007 1:43:28 AM

I currently running almost the same setup oc'd at 3.2. I think the e6750 can be pushed further though, to at least 3.5.
July 29, 2007 7:12:19 AM

BlueHeaven said:
I currently running almost the same setup oc'd at 3.2. I think the e6750 can be pushed further though, to at least 3.5.


same here. 3.2GHz with 400MHz FSB, vcore 1.35v, very stable, core temp 20°C idle, 39°C full load, MB temp ~38°C all the time. Used Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B with 120mm fan instead of stock fan, Antec P182 case. :D 
July 30, 2007 10:39:21 AM

COB-86 said:
According to the following link, my ram is 1.8V and has timings of 5-5-5-15, and has the ability to run at 4-4-4-13. It also says I can use 2.0V +/- 5% without invalidating my warranty.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_p... em_elite_dual_channel

Will my ram be up to standard?

is the idea to set the voltage to 2.1, then lift the FSB?

also, it was suggested to me that i drop the CPU multiplier to 6x and slowly lift the FSB, testing it running MemTest

is that slowly lift the FSB from 333mhz upwards, or 400mhz upwards?

also, what's the protocol with increasing the fsb... do you just increase it bits at a time, then restart and see if it posts, then increase it some more? (until it won't post?)
once i've reached a maximum fsb, is this when i run memtest?
after that, do i increase the multiplier back to 8x?



First of all...if u did the overclocking as i mentioned above ur RAM is quite up to the mark cause RAM is not overclocked :D 

and if ur RAM supports lower timings at 800MHz please lower them by all means

Core2 CPUs benefit great efficiency when the FSB is 1:1 with DRAM so i wont recommend lowering the multiplier

It is established that all Core2 CPUs can get to 3.0 GHz or more without any Problems, so u can simply overclock to reach those frequencies, and do a stress test to see if its stable just in case,....it is if u want to go even highr u need to be more specific, and DO NOT Think ur overclock is stable if ur Rig is POSTing normal,...u must run orthos or Prime95 for atleast 12 Hours and get no errors to make sure the rig is almost stable(ALMOST) for day to day operation.

if ur RAM is rated to perate higher than 800MHz u can overclock ur CPU even higher but stick with 1:1 ratio...it is the optimal setting for Core2 CPU's
September 22, 2007 12:37:30 PM

Hi Zeraphine, thanks for all the useful info...
Lets see if u can help me.

before trying the overclock, i wanted to ask you about some weird monitoring values on my bios.
first, my machine:
ASUS P5KPL-VM
E6750
2 GB ADATA Vitesta 800mhz
ati radeon x1600 pro
maxtor 250 gb hard disk.
everything brand new, @ factory settings.

I still didnt change any value in the bios.
Now... the bios hardware monitor shows me a cpu temp of 41° (I just started up the pc) on idle and on room temperature of 22°!! after 30 min (cpu idle, im still in bios) the temp raises to 55°!!! it doesn't go over that, but still! how's that possible? is there something wrong with the sensor?

other weird thing- it shows me the Vcore @ 1,328 while the cpu is running smoothly @ 2666 mhz. shouldn't it be @ 1,25 volt? why that high voltage?

for last- I try to follow your overclock instructions.
everything fine till I change the FSB from 333 to 400. the system won't boot.
I think, probably its unstable cause undervolted, so I try to increase the Vcore.
no way! it doesnt let change the Vcore in the bios. it just shows the current voltage, but... that's it.

I don't know, maybe I should try with some windows application? I have no idea.
Help me plssssssssssssssss!!
November 11, 2007 1:09:37 AM

Searching around for a couple of days now I have the main jist of how to overclock, but I need some re assurance because this is my first OC system.

Im running the DS3P Gigabyte board with the G0 E6750 and pc2 8500RAM(1066).

I'd like to be around 3.2 -3.4. I have a nice ventalated case running the original intel fan.

My peliminary settings have my cpu running 3.2, 375@8x according to the Gigabyte bios and Core temp app, however CPU-Z app is telling me the multiplier is @x6-375. Is it an error or do I not understand something? Core temp app has my core 34c @ idle.

Im having the voltage regulated automatically by the board which sounds to be a bad idea maybe? CPU-Z is reporting core voltage 1.440 and core temp app is reporting VID 1.35. thats the same isnt it??? why the difference??

From what I'm gathering I need to run the bus speed at 400mhz and step the memory down to 800?? I can do the CPU OC but I dont quite understand how the memory side of ocing works including timmings.

Can anyone give me a hand at the best settings for my setup?

Thanks.
November 11, 2007 1:25:44 AM

Disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS and it will display properly on CPU-Z.

Intel Speed Step under clocks and undervolts the CPU when not under load.
November 11, 2007 4:21:11 PM

Download the latest BIOS for P35 ....memory timing is done in auto now
November 11, 2007 5:58:36 PM

cnumartyr said:
Disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS and it will display properly on CPU-Z.

Intel Speed Step under clocks and undervolts the CPU when not under load.




Thanks, that helped solve the reporting issue.

I'm running 400x8 1:1 with RAM 34c Idle. Running ram faster would or woulnt be advantageous?

Thanks.
November 20, 2007 9:47:12 AM

Hey all,

I just registered here, but I've been a long tiem reader of Tom's Hardware reviews and articles.


This thread is really helpful, sheer coincidence that I too was planning to use a 400Mhz CPU bus.

Is it definitely OK to go from 333.3 to 400Mhz safely? That's around a 30% increase.

What about the FSB? Change the multiplier down to 3 to get a FSB of 1200 (a 133Mhz from 1333Mhz loss is nothing compared to the overall gain)

Thanks again!
November 20, 2007 3:41:42 PM

Planehazza said:
Hey all,

I just registered here, but I've been a long tiem reader of Tom's Hardware reviews and articles.


This thread is really helpful, sheer coincidence that I too was planning to use a 400Mhz CPU bus.

Is it definitely OK to go from 333.3 to 400Mhz safely? That's around a 30% increase.

What about the FSB? Change the multiplier down to 3 to get a FSB of 1200 (a 133Mhz from 1333Mhz loss is nothing compared to the overall gain)

Thanks again!


FSB doesn't work like the HT link on AMD. It's a quad pumped clock rate. If it's at 400 MHz clock the FSB is 1600 MT/s. There is no option to underclock it. Going from 333 to 400 isn't a problem on most newer boards, just do it in 3-5 MHz intervals to see if any issues arise.
January 20, 2008 10:07:55 AM

Hi,

I just registered and I've been reading all of the forum regarding the OC. I'm new to the OCing. I was wondering what would be the best setting to OCing my CPU to 2.8 - 3.0 ghz since i'm using a stock heatsink. Here's my spec:

E6750 1333 mhz
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 EPP
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16


Thanks in advance.

November 22, 2008 2:59:42 PM

what will happen if I change the CPU multiplier to X10 from X8?
!