terminal program, ssh even, for Axim (pocket PC)

January 17, 2005 4:04:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something like
that.)
I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can be
run on the Pocket PC?
I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to use,
but it sure would be very handy!
Thanks,
Liam
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:02:19 PM

Colbyt wrote:
> <news@celticbear.com> wrote in message
> > I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something
like
> > that.)
> > I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
> > Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can
be
> > run on the Pocket PC?
> > I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to
use,
> > but it sure would be very handy!
> > Thanks,
> > Liam
> >

> And what mischief might you be up to?

::blinkblink::
Sorry?
I'm the system's administrator for an online printing wholeseller. I'm
on call 24/7, and don't have a laptop. I'm on the "floor" half the day,
away from my desk. I often have to run back to my desk to SSH into one
of the servers to do anything from change a password to add an IP
address to the firewall.
By having an SSH capable termonal on my pocketPC I can be off-site and
still able to check in and see what's going on when I get a page from
the system saying the resource usage has reached a certain amount, or
pings to a server are taking too long or are dropping, or a service has
crashed and I need to restart it.
Is that the kind of mischief you're thinking of?

I mean, what the heck other mischief is really possible with a flippin'
PocketPC. If I really wanted to cause mischief I'd load Slackware Linux
on an old laptop, add a wireless USB adapter, and use any of a number
of tools available to Linux to allow one to cause anonymous mischief.
If someone can do the same thing, anonymously, with a Windows pocketPC,
I'd be impressed.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

<news@celticbear.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting a Dell Axim with Windows Pocket 2003 OS (or something like
> that.)
> I'm going to be using it on a wireless LAN.
> Is there a terminal program that can do SSH, like Putty, that can be
> run on the Pocket PC?
> I know it may be a silly question, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to use,
> but it sure would be very handy!
> Thanks,
> Liam

And what mischief might you be up to?
January 18, 2005 12:10:43 PM

Colbyt wrote:
> Try these.
>
> http://speed.insane.com/archives/2004/02/19/ssh_for_poc...

Holymoly! Pocket Putty. That's just perfectly cool!
I never have to work at my desk again. Want to check a user's mail
spool sitting in the break room, can do. Need to reset a password
sitting at their desk, done. Need to add a device to the fstab in the
restroom, well, that's a little weird. But if I had to, can do! =)
Thanks!
Liam
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:58:41 PM