Silly question but I have to ask...

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I'm getting a new system soon. This is what I'm getting for the writer...

LG GSA-H62L 18X DVD+/-RW SATA Lightscribe Drive BLACK

Is is just assumed that this will also write to CD media as well? I don't know if it does or doesn't. It's been 5 years since my last system.

I need it to be able to burn CD media as well cause I'm sure my car won't play back burned DVD's.

Thanks.

Hmmm, this one's difficult... No, wait, it isn't :) Go for it, buy it, it will write CDs. If you don't care about Lightscribe you can get the H62N and save a few bucks. I don't care about it because it needs more expensive disks which may not even be the best as far as quality.

I have no idea what you have in your car, but there are two possibilities: if it can handle mp3, then you can create your CDs as "data disk" and put 10 hours or whatever on a CD. If it can't, then you need to get wav files somehow (AudioGrabber?) and then write them as "Audio CD". I'm using Nero Express 6 and when I want to write a disk that works in my old Panasonic stereo I need to switch the recorder to CD/CD-RW (it usually sits on the DVD option), then I select the Music option and then Audio CD.

sailer

Splendid

And stupid people are the ones who think they know it all, so they don't ask questions and never, ever read the manual.

Then they wonder why their computers crash, they get lost, etc.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

true dat. ;)

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Thanks to all for the help. The reason why I asked was because my current system which is in it's 5th year only has a CD-RW writer and a DVD-Rom reader.

Therefore I wasn't sure if the DVD-Writers also wrote onto CD-media.

As for my car, I've been burning songs onto CD-media and playing it on my CD-changer. I'm not sure my car can play burned songs on DVD-media though.

One more question. I'm getting the DVD-Burner mentioned above with the lightscribe feature. It only costs $4 more than the non-lightscribe model at my store.

I know that AEVM said that I would have to get special (more expensive) media to use the lightscribe features. However, if I didn't want to use the lightscribe feature can I just use ordinary DVD's? Or am I limited to using expensive DVD's because of the player itself because it has lightscribe.

Thanks.

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Just remember, to this date, most all the optical drive technology is backwards compatible and since Lightscribe is a newer technology, it will read/burn all media types with the exception of Dual Layer or DVD RAM unless specified on the drive specifications.

--Shodar

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
But why get an LG mate? I had an older model and spin up/spin down time as well as the seek time was just awful. When loading a DVD movie I had to wait like 5 sec before it started to spin up and a total of ten before the autoplay came up. With my NEC or Samsung or Lite on, no such problems. On the other hand, it did last 1 and half years which is quite good considering all my previus burners lasted an average of 1 year.
Your call man

Hey, I got an LG-3167B that's still working after 3 years, say 2 hours a day on average, that's pretty good :) Maybe you used your Samsung 10 hours a day, if the poor thing died after only a year? Don't know much about NEC and LiteOn but I trust Samsung with this sort of drives.

Just to clarify for the OP: if you just want to write a DVD without using the Lightscribe feature then yes, any DVD will do. I just meant using Lightscribe requires a DVD that supports Lightscribe, and those cost more. If you don't need to print a label on the disk then sure, get any disk brand you wish. I typically get 16x disks from Memorex, Phillips or Verbatim, whenever they go on sale at the Future Shop nearby, they're all great. Not happy about Fujifilm, they are labeled 16x but take 15 minutes to write instead of the usual 5.

I mentioned Nero 6 because I got it free with my LG. It's a pretty useful program :love:

I think I'll get myself a second drive too, an Asus DRW-1814BLT. Some excellent reviews there. Check it out before you buy...