Sign in with
Your question

Problem removing Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2007 4:32:51 AM

Hi, I currently have 2 WD Raptor 150gb in RAID 0. My motherboard is an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. I've been attempting to remove the RAID configuration and make one of the drives master and the other slave then just leave them as regular drives. I changed Configure SATA As in BIOS from RAID to Standard IDE. After rebooting into the BIOS it shows that now my first HD is set as Third IDE Slave and my second HD is set as Fourth IDE Slave. I also get a message that says "No IDE Master H.D.D. Detected! Press F1 to Resume." What I would like to know is how to completely remove the raid setup and set one of the drives as master. Loss of data isn't a problem because I am going to reinstall Windows anyway. Also is there any physical difference in the jump configuration for Raid 0 and 2 regular drives that I would need to change?

This is how my 2 HDs are physically installed:

At first I was going to type out the BIOS options, but I decided to take pictures of them for clarity and so I don't accidentally make a typo. I wasn't sure which settings could have to do with my problem so some of these options might not have anything do do with the HDs:

The 3rd/4th IDE Master and Slave options all look like this:

Sorry for such a long post, but I didn't want to leave anything out to make it easier for someone to help me out. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks. :) 

More about : problem removing raid

August 9, 2007 5:57:23 AM

the first thing you should do, is enable the raid controller again, and disband the raid setup for the raptors thats probably still assigned. if the raid controller has an option to erase the array, do so. the second thing is to afterwards disable the raid controller, and power down the raptor that wont have windows installed on it (this is to help bypass any issues). also, you do have a plug'n'play OS that youll install, most likely, so you can enable that in the bios. hopefully thats all youll need to do, to have a trouble free install, at which point youll probably want to format the OS raptor from within the OS setup.
August 9, 2007 6:24:38 AM

Thanks for such a quick reply! Sorry, I'm a total noob at this, could you specify which option is the raid controller? Also how do I disband the raid setup or erase the array? Thanks again.
Related resources
August 9, 2007 6:41:23 AM

awelch said:
Hi, I currently have 2 WD Raptor 150gb in RAID 0. My motherboard is an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. I've been attempting to remove the RAID configuration and make one of the drives master and the other slave then just leave them as regular drives. I changed Configure SATA As in BIOS from RAID to Standard IDE. After rebooting into the BIOS it shows that now my first HD is set as Third IDE Slave and my second HD is set as Fourth IDE Slave. I also get a message that says "No IDE Master H.D.D. Detected! Press F1 to Resume." This is how my 2 HDs are physically installed:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3151/pict0451hn8.jpg

According to the picture you do indeed have the two drives connected as SLAVES. The RAID setup is already GONE at this point, but the drive is not being recognized because it's an orphaned IDE slave. Connect as Master or enable AHCI (recommended.) The Master sockets are towards the centre of the motherboard, and the front bottom. The Intel ports you're using are IDE 3 and 4, which is fine. (EZraid and JMicron use IDEs 1 and 2.) To get the Bios to boot off one of those then have the boot order to include hard drives as one of the three boot devices, then set Hard Drive priority to choose which one to use. It's best to connect just one drive during install so you know what's what. If these are set to IDE mode then Windows will find them; if they are set to Sata/AHCI then a driver will have to be loaded from floppy. If the drives are in AHCI mode then Master/Slave doesn't matter.

You're all set to go, just move the drives to the Master ports, and preferably disconnect one. No fiddling has to be done with RAID setup. I have the same motheboard and have used every version of RAID, so I'm experienced.... :lol: 
August 9, 2007 6:42:42 AM

i would imagine the controller can be enabled from under Jmicron controller mode, or Jmicron sata/raid BOOTROM, or other similar motherboard bios options anyhow.

as far as disbanding it, im assuming it was already setup in raid, and youre wanting to just instead use them as single hdds. after enabling the raid controller, you should be able to change settings from within the raid bios, and one of them might be to format the array, another option in the raid bios might be to set them us as just a bunch of drives (JBOD), so then theyre not in raid anymore.
August 9, 2007 7:02:32 AM

choirbass said:
i would imagine the controller can be enabled from under Jmicron controller mode, or Jmicron sata/raid BOOTROM, or other similar motherboard bios options anyhow.

He has the drives incorrectly connected as IDE slaves, that's why it's not working. If he moves them over to the Master ports and/or uses AHCI then installation can be undertaken. Preferably just the top conection will be used for the install, then the other drive can be plugged in. He doesn't have to fiddle with RAID settings, RAID has already been lost. The drive will be wiped and reformatted once Windows install starts.

He doesn't have to deal with the Jmicron controller etc, he's using the Intel ports.
August 9, 2007 8:55:39 AM

yeah, i think just glancing over his initial post, i missed a few details.
August 9, 2007 11:37:52 AM

Thanks a ton! :D  I plugged 1 of the HDs into SATA 1 and it set it as third IDE Master so all is well with that. I reinstalled windows on the HD and have 1 more problem ;/ It doesn't have to do with the HDs, I hope that's ok. In Network Connections I have a "1394 Connection", but no Local Area Connection. Using the "Create a new connection" will also not work for some reason. My house is networked and I normally connect wired to the router. When trying to use New Connection Wizard I select: Connect to the Internet > Set up my connection manually > Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. When I do this I get the message "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following link. Learn more about broadband connections." The link isn't helpful at all of course. If anyone has heard of this problem before or knows what could be happening I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
August 9, 2007 12:08:52 PM

You need to install/reinstall your Ethernet Drivers.
The "1394" connection is FireWire and not a network card.
August 9, 2007 12:35:22 PM

awelch said:
Thanks a ton! I reinstalled windows on the HD and have 1 more problem ;/ It doesn't have to do with the HDs, I hope that's ok. In Network Connections I have a "1394 Connection", but no Local Area Connection.

That's two problems. First, the 1394 port being enabled as ethernet is default behaviour, Simply disable it in network properties. Secondly the Marvel ethernet ports on the P5W-DH requires the drivers to be installed from the motherboard CD before it works. If you're running Vista then download the drivers from Asus. "Create a New Connection" is not used for ethernet, only dialup. You do have to run the Intel .inf update for XP to set up devices properly on this board.
August 9, 2007 5:41:40 PM

That worked perfectly, Thanks! Well since I'm on a roll and it seems like people on these forums can answer pretty much any question I could ask I have 1 more question :D  So far I have 2 separate HDs now the 1st has Windows XP loaded on it and the second is completely blank. I have a Fedora 7 installation DVD I'd like to install onto the second HD. When I boot from the disc relatively early on in the install when I need to the select partition to install onto I get a pop up that says, "The partition table on device sdc was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized causing the loss of all data on this drive. This operation will override any previous installation choices about what drives to ignore." Selecting yes or no to continue don't work. Does anyone know what I have to do to my second HD to make Fedora able to install onto it? Again, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
August 9, 2007 8:30:02 PM

awelch said:
So far I have 2 separate HDs now the 1st has Windows XP loaded on it and the second is completely blank. I have a Fedora 7 installation DVD I'd like to install onto the second HD.

You already know the answer, change the hard drive boot order so that the other drive is the boot drive, then do the install of Fedora. To select windows at boot select the Windows drive in Bios, to boot with Fedora then select the Fedora drive in Bios. You can also use the windows drive to boot into Fedora but the multiple boot is installed by Fedora itself, and I think you have to install Fedora THEN Windows, and use the same drive with multiple partitions.

Boot order should always be CD first, then USB, then floppy (if you have one) then finally the chosen boot hard drive.
August 10, 2007 2:09:06 AM

I completely reformatted the drive and plugged it in so it was in the master slot and unplugged the other HD. Then I changed the boot order to CD first. Fedora Install would come up, but I still had the same problem with it. It says "The partition table on device sdc was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized causing the loss of all data on this drive." Then when selecting yes or no it says, "Input/Output error during write on /dev/sdc." What's this mean?
August 10, 2007 2:30:12 AM

awelch said:
I completely reformatted the drive and plugged it in so it was in the master slot and unplugged the other HD. Then I changed the boot order to CD first. Fedora Install would come up, but I still had the same problem with it. It says "The partition table on device sdc was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized causing the loss of all data on this drive." Then when selecting yes or no it says, "Input/Output error during write on /dev/sdc." What's this mean?

I don't know, I'm not a Linux expert (though I do have Ubuntu running on one of my systems.) It sounds like it's not able to delete the NTFS partiton table. You could try running Delpart from dos I suppose, but you'll have to ask in the Fedora forums. Sorry.
!