some_guy1022

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Sorry, I havent looked this up else on the forums yet, however, i looked on several other forums, checked up their answers and none of them worked so I decided to go ahead and just post.
I got a HDD enclosure after my cpu died. There were 2 hard drives on that computer, both are IDE. The newer on is 120 GB and the newer one, is a Maxtor. It works just fine when I put it in the enclosure. When I try putting the old one in (some kind of IBM Desktar hd, 61.4 GB capacity), nothing works. There is a beep to show that the usb is recognized or whatever, but most of the time nothing shows up. I went to device manager and asked it to look for new devices, nothing happened.
The one error I did get said this device may not work properly, however I think it was from when the data cable was not inserted properly, however, I have taken the HDD enclosure apart about 4 times and the last time i used more or less all the strength I had to make sure the cables were in right. So far i have not gotten that message again. The usb little thing at the bottom right doesnt come up. The enclosure i am using is a Xion 3.5" enclosure that supports all the operating systems that the HD has gone through and supports all the usb stuff as well. It came with a disc for any software needs for the usb connection however when i access that, it says Copy File Error, The USB Storage Device has been fully installed already, so there is no software problems.
So any ideas on what the problem is? I am not too smart on this stuff so any and all help would be nice.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Make sure the M/S setting on the drive is correctly set, try setting it to CS if it doesn't work as Master.

Try hooking the disk up with an IDE cable to your comp and check if it works properly, format it (backing up anything worth backing up), then try it again in the fixture.

Should work, otherwise keep us posted.

HTH