Time to make the jump to DX10?

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I'm thinking about making the jump to dx10 now that some games that have been out for a while and have patches to support dx10 I'm very tempted to upgrade. I currently have a x1900xt 512mb and (dx9). I have maybe $350 to spend can anyone recommend a few good cards that would be comparable to my x1900xt?

Thanks!

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
well, last time i checked, the only dx10 cards that could even play the current dx10 patched games at reasonable framerates were the 8800GTS and upwards, and the HD2900xt. Anything below those are pretty hopeless at dx10 games imo.

First are you aware that you need vista to run dx10 there are rumors that xp will get support but that is all they are at the min.
Secondly i know its good to have the latest and greatest at times but i dont think this is one of those times.
From what i have seen on the forums a lot of people think that the currant dx10 cards will not be able to handle propper dx10 when it finally comes out,seems that at the min what we have is dx9 "sprinkled " to quote another forum member(sorry cant remember who but you know who you are if your reading this) :D
with dx10 content.
So on the whole with the games not being trully dx10 and with the 2900s trump card the tessilation unit not supported yet either i personally see no reason to spend out on dx10 capable cards when you can get a top end dx9 for a fraction of the cost,and remember you will still be able to play dx10 games in dx9 and probably better as well.
Well thats my two cents
Mactronix

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I have vista so I'm good there. And honestly I can get a newer dx10 card next year if I have to, just be nice to be ready for Crysis, Brother in Arms and other dx10 games coming out this year. Course than theres the age old question of nvidia or ati.....sounds like the nvidia is the flagship right now correct? As far as being the king atm?d

Pretty much yes atm nvidea seem to be out in front some people seem to think that the 2900 is going to be pretty close when/if they can get the drivers right.
In your position where you have the cash to upgrade as and when i would get a 8800 gtx stock and oc the but of it. :D
Mactronix

Blade does have a point i mean supose crysis came out and they benchmarked it and you had just bought the gtx which got hammered by the 2900 this kind of thing does happen if the game gets coded to favour one or the other.
So i guess what im saying is the smart thing to do is be patient like blade says but if you want it now get a stock gtx and oc it yourself.
Mactronix

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I think you should hold off until the games actually come out. The 512MB x1900XT is still a great card. I do not think the money you would spend right now would be near justified.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

/agree and I have a 8800GTX, but I was coming from a 7800GT, so it was a huge upgrade. The X1900XT 512MB still kills games, I would stick with it unless you got the cash to burn and $350 isn't a lot of cash to burn imo.

sailer

Splendid

I agree completely. More to the point, I had a X1900 XTX and I was well satified with its performance until it died. Only because it died did I get a 8800 GTS, and while the GTS is a bit faster, it has its problems. By waiting until real DX10 games come out, you can then learn which cards work well and which don't. Beyond that, by the time real DX10 games, a new generation of graphics cards might also appear. Then you could either get the current one at a cheaper price or get the newer one for better performance. In my opinion, I'd stick to your present card until it fails or games come out that demand a DX10 card.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I must agree with the sentiment of many posters here. Don't go DX10 yet, your card is still a great card. Who knows how badly even the toughest 1st generation DX10 cards will get stomped by the upcomming DX10 games. Wait and see.