Sign in with
Your question

Help me find what is crashing my PC!!

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2007 8:09:43 PM

Ok...not exactly sure what is going on, so I was hoping to get some help here.

As of almost 2 weeks ago, during BF2142 gameplay, weird things have started to happen lately and I am trying to find out what the problem is.

Rig:

Gigabyte DS3 BIOS 7
E6600 NOT oc'd --Thermalright CPU Cooler
2gigs DDR 800 memory, corsair
ATI x1900xt 512mb card -- Thermalright HR-03 VGA cooler with 90mm fan
Creative Xi-fi music sound card
Enhance PSU 500+ watts

Before two weeks ago, gameplay was flawless on 2142. I could play for hours with no problems.

Lately though, weird things have started to happen. A list of things that have happened.

-Game crashes to desktop for no apparent reason
-Game freezes up during gameplay...forced to hardboot.
-During gameplay, the game starts to stutter...then, it either freezes OR if I quickly quit and go to my desktop, it freezes there and I have to hard boot

Symptoms above have happened on BF2142 and Company of Heroes.

Put on ATItool and idel temps are about 42-44.
Side of the case is open currently.

At this point, I am not sure exactly what the problem is and am trying to narrow it down to what it could be.

-Heat issue?

-Motherboard problem?

-Memory problem?

-Video card problem?

I just got done playing about 40 minutes of Company of Heroes and it started to stutter, then it froze and locked my PC.

I actually did a fresh install last week, to get everything 'clean' and 'tidy'.

Did a hard drive utility test from seagate and it came back with flying colors.

I ran memtest86 for about 14 hours and it did about 28 passes with no errors.
I stress tested my video card with ATITool and the highest the GPU temp got to was 75 C.

I'm baffled. No idea what it could be.

Any suggestions? This is incredibly frustrating.

Appreciate the help.

More about : find crashing

July 17, 2007 8:25:18 PM

Your PSU may be going bad considering your computer locks up when you are gaming, thus stressing both CPU and vid card simultaneously.
July 17, 2007 8:33:21 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Your PSU may be going bad considering your computer locks up when you are gaming, thus stressing both CPU and vid card simultaneously.

I thought about that...how can I figure that out?

I was thinking it had to be one of the following:

1. heat

2. memory

3. motherboard

4. power

What else can I do to test?
Related resources
July 17, 2007 9:08:04 PM

You can run memtest and test about 3 passes, or you can run prime 95 and see what happens.
July 17, 2007 10:05:26 PM

sektor said:
I thought about that...how can I figure that out?

Borrow someone's psu that you know works and that has enough juice to power your system and swap it in, crank up 2142 and see what happens.
July 17, 2007 10:40:40 PM

paq7512 said:
You can run memtest and test about 3 passes, or you can run prime 95 and see what happens.

Did...let it run 25 times with zero errors. :heink: 
July 17, 2007 11:42:58 PM

run Orthos and the ATItool test at the same time for a few hours.
July 18, 2007 2:16:44 PM

goldragon_70 said:
run Orthos and the ATItool test at the same time for a few hours.

You can also run speedfan at the same time to monitor voltages, especially the 12v rails.
July 18, 2007 2:51:15 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You can also run speedfan at the same time to monitor voltages, especially the 12v rails.

that would help keep an eye on the CPU and mobo temps too. That reminds me, sektor, have you tryed checking your HDD temps when playing those games?

July 18, 2007 3:20:31 PM

Ok...updates.

Ran orthos and ATITool for 3+ hours...no problems. Temperature on vid card did not get above 73 C. CPU looked good....zero errors.

So, acting on a hunch, I yanked out my Xi-Fi card, enabled onboard sound, adjusted sound settings in Company of Heroes and started to play.

I was able to play CoH for over 1 hour with zero problems and it played flawlessly.

I am going to do some additional testing tonight with BF2142, Supreme Commander and more of Company of Heroes...

BUT...if it is the sound card, I am going to be mad...this will be my last creative card if it is the culprit.

I'll update later.

Thanks.
July 18, 2007 3:21:45 PM

sektor said:
Ok...not exactly sure what is going on, so I was hoping to get some help here.

As of almost 2 weeks ago, during BF2142 gameplay, weird things have started to happen lately and I am trying to find out what the problem is.

Rig:

Gigabyte DS3 BIOS 7
E6600 NOT oc'd --Thermalright CPU Cooler
2gigs DDR 800 memory, corsair
ATI x1900xt 512mb card -- Thermalright HR-03 VGA cooler with 90mm fan
Creative Xi-fi music sound card
Enhance PSU 500+ watts

Before two weeks ago, gameplay was flawless on 2142. I could play for hours with no problems.

Lately though, weird things have started to happen. A list of things that have happened.

-Game crashes to desktop for no apparent reason
-Game freezes up during gameplay...forced to hardboot.
-During gameplay, the game starts to stutter...then, it either freezes OR if I quickly quit and go to my desktop, it freezes there and I have to hard boot

Symptoms above have happened on BF2142 and Company of Heroes.

Put on ATItool and idel temps are about 42-44.
Side of the case is open currently.

At this point, I am not sure exactly what the problem is and am trying to narrow it down to what it could be.

-Heat issue?

-Motherboard problem?

-Memory problem?

-Video card problem?

I just got done playing about 40 minutes of Company of Heroes and it started to stutter, then it froze and locked my PC.

I actually did a fresh install last week, to get everything 'clean' and 'tidy'.

Did a hard drive utility test from seagate and it came back with flying colors.

I ran memtest86 for about 14 hours and it did about 28 passes with no errors.
I stress tested my video card with ATITool and the highest the GPU temp got to was 75 C.

I'm baffled. No idea what it could be.

Any suggestions? This is incredibly frustrating.

Appreciate the help.

Install a PSU with at least 22/22 amps on dual 12 volt rails. Your 500 watt psu is failing.
July 18, 2007 3:32:41 PM

sektor said:
Ok...updates.

Ran orthos and ATITool for 3+ hours...no problems. Temperature on vid card did not get above 73 C. CPU looked good....zero errors.

So, acting on a hunch, I yanked out my Xi-Fi card, enabled onboard sound, adjusted sound settings in Company of Heroes and started to play.

I was able to play CoH for over 1 hour with zero problems and it played flawlessly.

I am going to do some additional testing tonight with BF2142, Supreme Commander and more of Company of Heroes...

BUT...if it is the sound card, I am going to be mad...this will be my last creative card if it is the culprit.

I'll update later.

Thanks.

....hummm, never would have thought of the sound card.
July 18, 2007 3:37:06 PM

What brand and wattage is your power supply Please tell me it costs at least a 100 bucks! You have a nice system so dont skimp on the psu homey! Im guessing when his cpu and video card load up his power supply is taking a plunge..

" A Chain is only strong as its weakest link" =Power supply
July 18, 2007 3:40:25 PM

I have never heard of an Enhance power supply. Did it come with your case? Not to dogg you man. I had issues back in the day with a cheap power supply

Id recommend a PC power and cooling, Silverstone Strider. Seasonic, Thermaltake Toughpower, OCZ
July 18, 2007 3:48:09 PM

I'm impressed with how few people know how really bad creative's drivers are. That's probably where the advice to remove all of the pci cards for testing originally came from.... :sarcastic: 
July 18, 2007 4:13:08 PM

Enhance USA Powersupply. Decent PSU...stable though.
Here are the specs for the 5150GH I have.

http://www.enhanceusa.com/series.php?series_id=4#115

Either way, I am planning on upgrading my PSU here soon, getting ready for the 8800 series vid card...looking at the corsair 520 PSU unit.

I have done research this morning and am amazed at just how bad the Creative drivers are and I will NEVER buy another one...I am in the market for a good sound card now.
July 18, 2007 4:14:27 PM

goldragon_70 said:
....hummm, never would have thought of the sound card.

Me neither, but when everything came back flying colors on the RAM, CPU and video card...it was the only component left to test.
July 18, 2007 6:42:56 PM

Well, I know Creative has driver issues, but it is possible that removing the sound card fixed the issue because it lowered the load on your psu. Just a thought.
July 18, 2007 8:25:57 PM

PCI cards draw 3.3v I believe. I can't imagine the wattage being very high on a sound card, but you never know.

I gave up on creative a couple years ago, sigh.
!