First time build - Please help

royrules22

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi there. I'm just about to build a computer for the first time ever after these July 22nd price drops (here's to Newegg not getting hammered and actually having them in stock). So I need some help in picking these parts.

Here's what I have on Newegg wishlist.

I've also purchased already an Antec 900 case (for half the price as Newegg at Fry's!), OCZ 4GiB DDR2-800 RAM, and an Asus P5K LGA 775 w/ WiFi P35 chipset mobo.

So now I have a few questions:

- How is the power supply? Will it be enough for the Q6600 and the 8800?
- How's the sound card? Would it be worth it as my mobo has ADI AD1988B 8 channels HD integrated audio. Also is it real X-Fi (as I hear some cards are not true X-Fi and they offload the work to software).
- Do I need a heatsink? I plan on doing some limited OC'ing (I've never OC'd before). What about the AS5?
- As for headset's how's this one? I'm not a big audiophile.
- And mouse. What's a good and cheap gaming mouse? I currently use a Logitech Bluetooth mouse as BT is built into my laptop and won't be in my desktop.
- How's this card reader? And yes I actually need it. I use Memory Stick and SD cards mainly.

Thanks for any and all help! Appreciate it.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you don't know if you NEED the sound card then drop it, onboard sound is nowadays good enough for most of us mortals (the only people that should get a sound card is those that *NEED* it)

As for the PSU, use this one instead:

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151027

(Se asonic is not only one of the top PSU makers but one of my favorites as well :))

Use this headset:

SENNHEISER HD201 3.5mm w/ Adapter to 1/4" (6.3 mm) Connector Circumaural Closed Back Headphone - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106455

(Probab ly the best brand to get headsets from)

Logitech MX310 930928-0403 Black&White 6 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Mouse - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104136

(No doubt logitech for mouse)

I must congratulate you on your decision to get the 64-Bit OS, most people in here have to be put on the right track. All in all you did a pretty good job except for a few quirks, but very nice.

royrules22

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks a lot! I'm liking the PSU suggestion. I had to replace a dead PSU a while ago on a pre-built and I got a SeaSonic, it worked great. So I have high hopes for this. If only it were about $30 cheaper though...

As for the Sennheisers I love those. And I would've gotten the HD201 if it weren't for one tinny problem. It's a headphone and not a headset. I need that mic. :(

The mouse is a no-go I'm sorry. I have a MX310 that died on me a month after I got it. It works now and then but after a reboot it dies until a few weeks later. It was a pretty decent one while it worked too *sigh*.

As for the 64-bit OS, I'm a sophomore EE&CS major (mainly the CS) so you can be rest assured I know exactly the benefits of having a 64-bit OS and CPU ;)

Thanks again!

Edit- Whoops forgot to ask. What about CPU/GPU cooling? Do I need a heatsink and/or an extra cooling solution? I plan on OC'ing minimally. Maybe about 200MHz on the CPU if possible. Defiantly not touching the voltage. I also have an Antec 900 case which is known for it's insane fans so I'm not sure if I need to splurge on more fans.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If it's only 200Mhz you'll be fine with stock cooling, but if you want you can get my favorite HSF, the Tuniq Tower 120.

And just go to newegg.com and look for a Sennheiser headset instead, that's just too easy to solve :)

royrules22

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Cool. I was suggested the Tuniq Tower at IGN but wow that's huge. I'm not sure if one it'll fit and two if it's worth it.

TRENDING THREADS