Win XP vs. Windows 7

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hey all,

I'm doing an argumentative essay for an English class and I could use some help. I'm looking for reasons why we should, at least for right now, avoid the Windows 7 upgrade and stick with XP. So far, here's what I have:

Versions - Too many and can't seem to find one tailored to specific needs

Drivers and compatibility - Problems presented with running 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment.

Whole new interface - Okay for Vista users, sure, but for XP users it's a whole new ballgame. Is it worth spending the cash then relearning an interface all over again? Many of the familiar things found within XP (My computer for example) have either been renamed or had some elements moved.

Simple tasks aren't so simple - Doing things like video editing is not as easy as it is on XP. Third party tools are required as there is nothing that comes with the OS.

I'm looking for any credible sources. Links would be great. Perhaps you have a valid reason why you stay away from windows 7: Let me know! If you think any of the above details are nonsense or I have it backwards, let me know. I'm open for criticism here. Thanks.

Versions - Too many and can't seem to find one tailored to specific needs

M$ provides a simple chart compating the Windows 7 versions and there is little to be confused about. Windows 7 64 bit ultimate is at the top.

Drivers and compatibility - Problems presented with running 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment.

This is laughable. There are few if any problems presented using 32 bit apps with a Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Whole new interface - Okay for Vista users, sure, but for XP users it's a whole new ballgame.

It takes all of an hour or so to be using Vista or Windows 7 like you own it. And that's for slow learners.

Is it worth spending the cash then relearning an interface all over again?

Windows 7 BETA has been available for free since March '09.

Many of the familiar things found within XP (My computer for example) have either been renamed or had some elements moved.

My Computer has not been changed to any other name. Elements moved? I don't think so.

Simple tasks aren't so simple - Doing things like video editing is not as easy as it is on XP. Third party tools are required as there is nothing that comes with the OS.

There are plenty of software for Video Editing out there. Certainly nothing new tailored for XP.

Let me know! If you think any of the above details are nonsense or I have it backwards, let me know.

You have it backwards. You put you're finger on it. Nonesense.

Versions - Having several versions is a plus, not a minus. Choose exactly what you need.

Drivers and Compatibility - Specious argument. If you think there are problems with the 64-bit version (and there really aren't) install the 32-bit one.

New interface - Come off it. It's not that new, and certainly not difficult to master. And so much more useful once you have mastered it.

Simple tasks - As easy, if not easier, in 7 as in XP. As badge say, plenty of software around. Most XP or Vista software works just fine on 7.

Sorry if that's all negative, but it seems to me you have picked a particularly difficult topic to argue. And that without even looking at all the advantages that Windows 7 offers. Really the only reason that I can think to stick with XP is if your hardware is really dated or you run some esoteric software that won't run under 7. Neither of those will apply to most people.

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
You have nothing to be sorry about here. Yes I had seen some of the advantages of windows 7 but seeing as I've used only XP to this point, I saw no reason to go out and get it. I rushed into this and was shot down in the process. I doubt I could go any further with this argument anyway as I have very little experience with windows 7 and the class isn't exactly computer savvy so I'm going to look for something else..teacher gave us a week so I plenty of time to do so. Thanks for pointing out what you did, badge. It did, in a way, help.

Here is a link that may help explain how your premise about 32 bit software having problems in a 64 bit environment. Misinformation on your part.

WoW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system that is capable of running 32-bit applications and is included on all 64-bit versions of Windows — including Windows 2000 Limited Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, as well as the 64 bit edition of Windows 7. In Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core, it's an optional component. WoW64 is designed to take care of many of the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

TRENDING THREADS