Cloning a hard drive using freeware?

June 29, 2005 10:37:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
drive?

My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.

I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
the disc.

I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.

I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
very welcome!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
June 29, 2005 10:37:55 AM

John Latter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
> drive?
>
> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>
> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
> the disc.
>
> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
> very welcome!

Go to the Hitachi site and download their utility for copying one drive
to another. If it's a retail drive it might have come with this utility
on a CD or floppy.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I don't know where you work but we use a hardware based disk cloner and
I will clone an employees hard drive if they ask they just bring in
both drives and it takes about 4 minutes. I can also make the C drive
the full size of the new hard drive if they want or leave it at the
original size. This is handy for people who have smaller hard drives.

never hurts to ask. My company also offers free Anti virus software as
well as MS office for a very good price

Wayne

John Latter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
> drive?
>
> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>
> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
> the disc.
>
> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
> very welcome!
June 29, 2005 12:22:25 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:49:48 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
>> drive?
>>
>> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
>> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
>> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>>
>> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
>> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
>> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
>> the disc.
>>
>> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
>> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
>> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
>> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>>
>> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
>> very welcome!
>>

>Go to the Hitachi site and download their utility for copying one drive
>to another. If it's a retail drive it might have come with this utility
>on a CD or floppy.

Thanks Rock, I'll have to have a look later - hope the utility allows
Seagate -> Hitachi transfers though.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
June 29, 2005 12:22:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Usually you would use the tool from the maker of the target (new) drive, the
source (old) drive should not matter if you do.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:49:48 -0700, Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>John Latter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
>>> drive?
>>>
>>> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
>>> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
>>> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>>>
>>> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
>>> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
>>> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
>>> the disc.
>>>
>>> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
>>> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
>>> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
>>> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>>>
>>> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
>>> very welcome!
>>>

>>Go to the Hitachi site and download their utility for copying one drive
>>to another. If it's a retail drive it might have come with this utility
>>on a CD or floppy.
>
> Thanks Rock, I'll have to have a look later - hope the utility allows
> Seagate -> Hitachi transfers though.
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:59:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Refer to this on how to see what services are utilizing svchost.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Most cloning software won't allow copying of a single partition, only the
entire hard drive. You indicated the XP partition near the end of the hard
drive space as the source, rather than the entire hard drive. Most cloning
software will reject hard drive sources with sector problems. So, some of
the replies I've seen to date are not applicable.
> Hi,
>
> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
> drive?
>
> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>
> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
> the disc.
>
> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
> very welcome!
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
June 29, 2005 1:37:17 PM

In news:grc4c1p9bcjst0lcjlecc50j7014jgisn8@4ax.com,
John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> had this to say:

> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
> drive?

clone maxx :
http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:47:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=418&pa...
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"John Latter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
> drive?
>
> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>
> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
> the disc.
>
> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
> very welcome!
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

June 29, 2005 10:53:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:10:14 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Usually you would use the tool from the maker of the target (new) drive, the
>source (old) drive should not matter if you do.

I'll have a look at the hitachi website - tks Rick!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
June 29, 2005 10:55:50 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:38:12 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I don't know where you work but we use a hardware based disk cloner and
>I will clone an employees hard drive if they ask they just bring in
>both drives and it takes about 4 minutes. I can also make the C drive
>the full size of the new hard drive if they want or leave it at the
>original size. This is handy for people who have smaller hard drives.
>
>never hurts to ask. My company also offers free Anti virus software as
>well as MS office for a very good price
>
>Wayne

Sounds good Wayne but I'm just a single user on a home computer &
don't have access to stuff like hardware based disk cloner :(

Jorolat

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
June 30, 2005 10:07:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:47:10 -0700, uggabugga
<uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=418&pa...

Thanks for the link uggabugga!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
June 30, 2005 11:05:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:59:44 -0500, "Lil' Dave"
<spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

>Refer to this on how to see what services are utilizing svchost.
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056
>
>Most cloning software won't allow copying of a single partition, only the
>entire hard drive. You indicated the XP partition near the end of the hard
>drive space as the source, rather than the entire hard drive. Most cloning
>software will reject hard drive sources with sector problems. So, some of
>the replies I've seen to date are not applicable.
>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any freeware (and info) that will enable me to clone a hard
>> drive?
>>
>> My existing HDD is starting to fail. Windows hasn't reported any
>> errors yet but the drive (5400rpm) fails Seagates diagnistics (bad
>> sectors & stuff). The drive has XP preloaded onto the end of it.
>>
>> I've got a new Hitachi 7200rpm drive and borrowed a generic windows xp
>> oem disc which installed ok. SP2 installed ok but after downloading
>> all relevant updates one instance of svchost.exe continuously accesses
>> the disc.
>>
>> I've posted on microsoft newsgroups but haven't had any luck in fixing
>> whatever the problem might be. Consequently, I'm now thinking of
>> cloning the original HDD & trusting to luck that there aren't any bad
>> sectors in the region where XP has been preinstalled.
>>
>> I'm not very knowledgable about these things so any advice would be
>> very welcome!
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>
>> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
>homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>>
>> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

Ok Dave - and thankyou for the link!