New E6420 has very high temps

Barricade

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
My new rig with an E6420 and Asus P5B MB is getting very high CPU temps and I cannot find the cause. Using speedfan and the asus monitoring software that came with my MB im getting 55-60 idle temps and 60+ load temps. Im using the stock cooler with AS5. I only have a thin layer of AS5 on the cpu and I sat the cpu on the heatsink and it is even. I have one intake and one output fan in my case, no wires in the way, etc, so airflow isnt the problem.

If anyone has any idea on what the problem is I would be very greatful.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
re apply the heat sink and make sure everything is 'bolted' down properly.. triple check and just be sure that you only have a very small layer of as5 like extremely thin just enough to fill the imperfections. but i really suspect it is just because your heatsink isn't installed properly.

*also try another program besides speed fan

good luck

Barricade

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Ok, I just reapplied as5 and the h/s. the as5 layer is VERY thin, and each of the four pins of the h/s went into place. speedfan is still reporting that the cpu is 55-60 idle. Both core 1 and 2 are steady at 39-40. All other temps are normal. I am really stumped on this.

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I am having a similar problem with an E6320 on a Gigabyte DS3 board. The cpu temperature is higher than the core temps at idle and load. I have now lowered my Vcore to 1.26 and still see the problem (although it is at a lower temp). At the present 1.26 Vcore my cpu temp at idle is 36C while the core temps are around 28-30C. At 100% load, the cpu temp goes to 60C while the core temps are around 50 - 52C (keep in mind this is at a much reduced Vcore). With the system at the normal 1.34 Vcore, the cpu 100% load temp was up around 70C while the core temps were down around 55C. I have left numerous posts on this problem but no responses to date. I know this doesn't help but wanted to let you know you are not alone. I will post again if I find any solutions.

Edit, sorry but forgot to mention I am running with a Zalman 9500 cpu fan and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

Zeraphine

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I also had the same problem with the same CPU...i was getting 60C> Idle temps and on load the CPU will reach shutdown temp in Minutes...it was the intel stock HSF not making proper contact with the CPU IHS...it needs a lot of pressure to lock itself properly...twist it a bit before installing..after i did that Idle temps dropped to 36c~...Anyway i replaced the stock HSF with a Asus V-Nardo cooler, now my idle temps are 25C~ ,and on TAT it gets to arround 49C which is pretty awesome...I think the stock cooler is Flawed in design...it does cool the CPU quite good but it wont make proper contact...and its push pins are not made from high quality materials, I saw on one forum the stock cooler of one user had fallen on the Graphic card, and ruined CPU, GCard and the MB...so better upgrade to something better.