Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading from 8800gts 320mb to 8800gtx ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2007 10:56:25 PM

Hi guys

Just wondering is it worth upgrading from 8800gts 320mb to 8800gtx ?

I run game resolutions at 1280x1024 on 19"lcd maybe looking at upgrading to 22"widescreen in future
would 8800gtx improve picture quality and effects etc on current 19"monitor

Cheers
July 17, 2007 11:22:47 PM

Probably no diff in 12x10 but if you plan to upgrade to a higher res
monitor then yes.
And there should be no diff in picture quality.
a b Î Nvidia
July 17, 2007 11:29:06 PM

shaneo01 said:

I run game resolutions at 1280x1024 on 19"lcd maybe looking at upgrading to 22"widescreen in future.

No not worth it, and better strategy is when you finally do upgrade to the 22" and a more stressful resolution, then upgrade, hopefully after the GF8800/HD2900's refreshes arrive, which would be a worthwhile use of your money IMO.
Related resources
July 17, 2007 11:52:17 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
No not worth it, and better strategy is when you finally do upgrade to the 22" and a more stressful resolution, then upgrade, hopefully after the GF8800/HD2900's refreshes arrive, which would be a worthwhile use of your money IMO.

I agree. Stick it out with the 320, save up for your 22" LCD. The 320 should be good up to 1600 X 1200. I would wait it out at that res and buy the geforce 9 series cards when they come out. We still don't have definitive performance numbers for directX10. I would wait.
July 18, 2007 12:49:53 AM

Was thinking the same thing the other day...
Firstly, a 22" being 16x12? That WILL stretch ur gts.
Second is price. I paid $375AUD for my 320, thats my 'wholesale' price which has now droped $5. So i should be able to sell it and not really lose any money. But to upgrade to a gtx i will need to shell out ANOTHER $300.

Fck that. At 14x10 im getting my required fps in all games at max settings ~95% of the time.

Is the extra 5% worth $300?
July 18, 2007 2:46:46 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

Adding to this, I have a 22" widescreen and my 8800 GTS 640 does the job very well. At least until some DX10 games come out that prove otherwise, I don't see a real need for the GTX.

@ The GreatGrapeApe, on a separate note, I haven't had any luck with getting my sig line to show up. I have it listed in my profile, the preview shows it, but it doesn't show in my replies. To make things a bit stranger, it did show up for a few days, but then disappeared. Any ideas on what's happening or what I'm doing wrong?
July 18, 2007 3:07:07 AM

As to the sig problem. I am having the same problem. It didn't show up at all at first. I had to re enter it in my profile. Also, everytime I reply, i have to make sure the display signature is checked at the bottom of the page. In addition, when it did display my sig, it only displayed the first four lines of it. the preview showed up fine but the in the forum it did not so i had to redo it as it is now shown.

On a side note, does anyone know what the "show off your rig" section is for. I put my specs in there and they don't show up anywhere and I can't see any box to check to make it display.
July 18, 2007 3:19:29 AM

No not worth it until you increase your screen resolution
July 18, 2007 4:31:16 AM

If your current games are coming out ok at this res with the GTS, stay with it. If youre planning on oblivion ,dark messiah, maybe sup som, then maybe get the GTX, otherwise stay with it.
July 18, 2007 5:49:53 AM

From what I can gather so far looks like a 22" widescreen would be a better upgrade option compared to 8800gtx, and then wait for the next refresh of cards to come out.
July 18, 2007 1:28:23 PM

not worth it any more, just wait for the g90 then upgrade
July 18, 2007 2:16:48 PM

Not worth it. Stick with the GTS until YOU notice future games slowing down at high res then invest in a new card.
July 18, 2007 2:31:34 PM

If you can make the GTS320 last for another 6-12 months hopefully you'll be able to buy something that can run DX10 very nicely.
a b Î Nvidia
July 18, 2007 7:28:46 PM

sailer said:

@ The GreatGrapeApe, on a separate note, I haven't had any luck with getting my sig line to show up. I have it listed in my profile, the preview shows it, but it doesn't show in my replies. To make things a bit stranger, it did show up for a few days, but then disappeared. Any ideas on what's happening or what I'm doing wrong?

I don't know but I'll see if I can find out.
I was having some trouble with mine at first but that was because it was too long. It showed up in the preview but not in my posts. But when I went back into it to re-edit it had truncated it and the close formating was cut off. Shortened it and it was fine.

Could you post or send me what it is you're trying to get to appear, it might help figure out why it's intermitent.
July 18, 2007 8:32:08 PM

I've got my sig line working again for the moment. I found that a yes/no line in my profile had been checked "no". It had been working for a bit, so I don't know how it got changed. I also don't understand why there is both a space given for making a sig line and then another spot where a person is supposed to verify that they want the sig line, but maybe that's a limitation in the programing. The sig should show up in this post so you can see what it is, unless the intermitance stricks again.
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2007 1:42:23 AM

I can see it now (as can likely most people of course), I think it does default alot of settings when you makes changes so updating may require checking all fields. I'll see what happens next.
July 19, 2007 9:36:19 PM

my 8800 gts is more powerfull than default gtx atm

working clocks
658/2102
July 20, 2007 9:56:52 PM

cefurkan said:
my 8800 gts is more powerfull than default gtx atm

working clocks
658/2102

Yeah but you have 32 less stream processors so it's not going to be more powerful.
July 25, 2007 12:15:01 PM

i love my 8800 gts 320mb card its to cool hehehe

i can kill everything at my 19 inch mon resolution woo hooo

The gtx isonly useful at real high resolutions like 30' size .
July 25, 2007 1:17:49 PM

slashzapper said:
i love my 8800 gts 320mb card its to cool hehehe

i can kill everything at my 19 inch mon resolution woo hooo

The gtx isonly useful at real high resolutions like 30' size .

not true.your current vidcard will struggle on anything abouve 1600x. and for $100 difference from a 620mb vs and a gtx, i think its worth it. i have 45 days for my step-up program and i will get a gtx. my current 320mb is running @ 667/1050 and it strugles at 1680x thats with everything on tho.
July 25, 2007 1:42:36 PM

It really all depends on whether you need the extra vram or not? Certain games need the 512MB some don't - resolution IMO is not the main factor!

Also you can play the waiting game forever if you like as there will always be a better card around the corner.

In conclusion it depends on the games you play and whether your existing card will make do for a while or not?
July 25, 2007 2:13:56 PM

theuprightman24 said:
It really all depends on whether you need the extra vram or not? Certain games need the 512MB some don't - resolution IMO is not the main factor!

Also you can play the waiting game forever if you like as there will always be a better card around the corner.

In conclusion it depends on the games you play and whether your existing card will make do for a while or not?

I would disagree about the need for more vram when it comes to resolution/screen size. As the screen size gets larger, there is a proportionate need for more vram in order to fill the screen in without suffering from jagged edges and slow frame rates. Someone with a 17" or 19" screen doesn't need a lot of memory to keep a clear screen, but step up to a 22" wide screen or larger and the need goes up. Add in higher AA and AF values and the need for memory and speed also increase.

I do agree that if a present card gives good frames rates and a good, clear screen then there is little reason to upgrade a card. Too many people buy better cards for no other reason than the pride of ownership or the desire to have the best, whether they need it or not. Also, if there is a need for a better card, unless a new card is coming out in a week or two, then the best time to buy is now. Like you said, the waiting game can turn into a waiting forever game.
July 25, 2007 2:15:15 PM

best qualify that last statement with "need 512mb for the highest texture setting" otherwise great ape gets shitty about the definition of the word NEED in relation to minimum requirements to run a game
July 25, 2007 2:38:21 PM

"You need a license to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp (or internet account)" grape ape

Not exactly true anymore! MySpace has just cancelled 29,000 sex offender's accounts! Hope nobody here lost theirs! :non:  :kaola: 
July 25, 2007 2:53:51 PM

Personally, if you have more money than brains, get the GTX. That being said, you're by no means slumming on an 8800GTS 320, and it very likely will be worth your time to wait the market out for a price drop at the minimum, and preferably for newer high-end models than an 8800GTX. As a rule of thumb, going from high-end to enthusiast in the same generation is almost always pointless, and this is no exception.
July 25, 2007 2:56:27 PM

shaneo01 said:
Hi guys

I run game resolutions at 1280x1024 on 19"lcd maybe looking at upgrading to 22"widescreen in future
would 8800gtx improve picture quality and effects etc on current 19"monitor

Cheers
I own an 8800GTX, and it's likely you would see very little, to no improvement at that resolution. Buy a new videocard when you decide to upgrade your monitor.
July 25, 2007 3:13:43 PM

The word 'need' depends on the person!

I have a 320MB card and for the most part it works fine -- MAX settings - there are a few games that NEED 512MB to run MAX settings Ghost Recon advanced... 1 for example! So I am assuming you want to see this at a descent resolution (17" monitor) then you will need 512MB card!

Taking this into consideration - the questions are:
1) Can you run your games at max settings?
If yes don't upgrade yet! If no (number 2)
2) Does it bother you that you can't run games at MAX settings?
If no don't upgrade! If yes (number 3)
3) Can you afford to upgrade?

And theres your answer!

July 25, 2007 4:31:56 PM

theuprightman24 said:
the questions are:

And theres your answer!

I like that answer. Handles everything in a nutshell.
a b Î Nvidia
July 25, 2007 5:38:50 PM

theuprightman24 said:

Taking this into consideration - the questions are:

And theres your answer!

Like the list.

Just to add to the list;

1B,) if not, is because of framerate or because it's arbitrarily not offered by default and something you can hack.? ... if/then 2
!