How to deal with unstable power source

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
First, sorry if this goes in the wrong forum section as I can't find one that seems appropriate for this.
Well, the problem is my brother lives in a place that the power is very unstable. The normal voltage is 220V. It can go up and down very fast (as low as 80V not goes higher than 220V though as this is a lack of power current) a voltage regulator can't do much (as the reaction time of one is slow).
So what is the solution for this problem? I'm thinking of buying a good online UPS for him. Is that good enough. Other solutions I can think of are buying a private generator (a little extreme), moving away from that place (not possible), or stop using the computer (not viable either lol). Please help.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
An UPS will do just fine. Go for APC and get a model where you can set the threshold manually. (The under or overvoltage where the battery kicks in). They are not very expensive and do their job greatly.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005

Thanks for confirmation, man. I plan to go with an APC too. I don't know much about APC's models though. What you meant is an offline one that you can set up its threshold right? I plan to go with an online one though is that too extreme? The thing is the power source there is unstable because the power current is not enough and and it's a rural place so ppl use water pump and I've seen ppl use electric welder too.

It's horribly inefficient, but if the power is that bad, create your own online UPS. Get a deep-cycle AGM battery (NOT a "car" battery) and attach it to an inverter; 500W should do for a PC, monitor, speakers, and non-laser printer. Then get a modern charger for the battery that regulates its output based on the charge state of the battery. If you feel like it, since he's rural, use solar panels to charge the battery.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Just to add from above they have just conditioners you can buy that smooth out the power, Tripp lite, sola/heavy duty, superior electic, apc sell them. They are not ower back ups they just stabalize the power.

TRENDING THREADS