Sign in with
Your question

How much space do I leave on a 120GB Storage drive?

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2007 3:35:28 PM

I have a 120GB Storage drive (~114GB effective), that has about 28.6GB left of space, and I will probably be able to fill that in the next few months. I don't run an OS on it, and I have other storage drives, so I'm not worried about running out of space as much as when I need to stop adding to that drive, so that I leave enough room for maintenance and the like (there shouldn't be any swap files on it).

More about : space leave 120gb storage drive

August 12, 2007 12:18:24 AM

goldragon_70 said:
I have a 120GB Storage drive (~114GB effective), that has about 28.6GB left of space, and I will probably be able to fill that in the next few months. I don't run an OS on it, and I have other storage drives, so I'm not worried about running out of space as much as when I need to stop adding to that drive, so that I leave enough room for maintenance and the like (there shouldn't be any swap files on it).

If it's just used for storage, you need about 0 free space. Before you fill it up though, I'd make sure the drive is defragmented as much as possible, prevent slower performance and wear due to highly fragmented files. The last few files you put on there will probably be pretty fragmented, simply because the data has to get packed into any available space to use all the drive space.

I have a few high capacity drives used exclusively for storage (mps3, video files, images), and they're packed as tight as I can get them. (My 250 GB drive has less than 40 MB free). It's just fine, because I don't move stuff on or off of it, which would cause seriously heinous fragmentation.
August 13, 2007 10:56:42 PM

InfidelPimp said:
I have a few high capacity drives used exclusively for storage (mps3, video files, images), and they're packed as tight as I can get them.

That's basically what I have on this drive. Thanks for the reply, this helps out allot.
Related resources
August 14, 2007 12:57:24 AM

InfidelPimp is correct. Although as long as you have ~1mb free you should be able to defragment successfully. If you were trying to figure out a saftey net of some sort for a volume that is used for storage I would say cluster size * number of files. That would allow each file to bump up by one cluster if you did something like edit tags. So if the cluster size was 24k and you had 10,000 files on it that would be 235mb. Technically you shouldn't need any extra free space at all if you *only* store files and don't do any editing.
August 14, 2007 1:05:26 AM

Actually, I was originally planing to leave 10 GB of space, before I've posted, and now because of InfidelPimp, I decided that I would only leave about 1gb to ~512MB of space free, Just in case, I do edit something, because 50% of the drive is pictures, I've taken, and I do like to Gimp my images. :) 
!