Black Screen After Running Malwarebytes

brightond

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hello,

I have used malwarebytes (in safe mode) to successfully remove a computer riddled with the dreaded "windows security alert-pop-up and try to make you pay money to buy fake spy-ware removal-virus."

I now keep it on peoples computers and run the update and scan periodically to keep the spy-ware at bay.

Yesterday, I ran this software on a stable computer running xp and found a few (3) security objects, a log was created (which i paid no attention to) and a restart was performed.

Upon restart I received the Dell Bios screen for a few seconds F2=Setup F12=Boot something and then a blank BLACK SCREEN with a blinking cursor!

I powered down several times (12 or so) to the exact same result.

I tried to get into the F2,F12 screen without luck as well. I finally popped in the Windows XP disc and was able to get the thing to load the windows startup.

I chose to install (not repair at first,) agreed with F8 to the agreement and then chose to repair the copy of windows it had found.

I made it all the way through the installation disc, entered in the key etc and then at restart.............BLACK SCREEN...blinking cursor!

I am at a loss on how to proceed. If anyone knows what has happened hear please share some advice here. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP>

Thank you for your help!

3 files: Lsass.exe, Services.exe and Svhost.exe

If you can plug the drive into another machine as a extra data drive, then you can copy the backup of these files from the dllcache to the system32 folder... with one catch... You'll need to do a registry tweak to make the dllcache visible.

Make a restore point. You might want to go back when finished.

Copy & paste the following into notepad and "save as" with any name quoted using the extension of .reg

After saving, double-click the file and allow to be merged into the registry. The result is that you can now see everything in your hard drive or any other drive connected to the computer as long as "Show hidden files" is ticked, and "Hide protected operating system files" is un-checked in view options.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden" = "2"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"ShowSuperHidden" = "0"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun" = "145"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"CheckedValue" = "0"

Go to \windows\system32\dllcache and find Lsass.exe, Services.exe and Svhost.exe one at a time and copy them to the system32 folder.

Put the drive back in it's computer and start it up.

If that did not fix it, then the MBR is most likely bad and needs to be fixed. The BIOS has completed POST and has handed the computer over to the operating system but can't find it...

Microsoft has an easy repair console write-up on this process
HERE.

If there are further error messages, then a broader range of fixes may be in order, and look HERE.