razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
man this new layout is weird.

anyways, onto my simple question.

both my S939 motherboard (ECS A939 nForce 4) and my CPU (AMD X2 3800) have capability of hyperlink 1000 Mhz... so why is it running at 800 Mhz instead of 1000 (according to Nvidia monitor AND CPU-z)?

Everythin else runs at nominal values (Multiplier, bus, memory...)

I've tried removing the CPU and placing it back - and nothing.

this is quite strange indeed. any help would be appreciated.

and as a side note, why is everyon recommendin the Q6600 when its not true quad core? whats the use when only two of the cores can access the system but at the same time? seems like quite a cripplle in performance, why not wait for the next gen to come out? its comin very soon.

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
To fix your HT link problem: there is a HT link multiplier setting in your bios, it appears to be currently set a 4, you just need to change it to 5 to have it run at 1000.

The Q6600 is a good processor and with current loads and intels efficient cache design the potential FSB problem isn't really a problem yet. There is always something new and better just around the corner so if aren't in the market now to buy go ahead and wait, but if you are then you should buy now.

In short, check your BIOS settings to see what the setting is for Hypertransport (Auto, 800, 1000, 1600, 2000).

I'm sure someone can give you a more technical answer, but in short the Hypertransport link is the connection between the integrated memory controller on the cpu and memory and replaces the more traditional northbridge/front side bus design of other mobos. In a nutshell, while the HT link may operate at up to 2000MHz the memory only operates 400MHz and is double pumped (Double Data Rate) to 800MHz. So, given that your mobo uses only up to DDR PC3200 (400MHz x 2 = 800MHz), having the HT link "only" 800MHz is all that the memory can handle.

As far as your question about the Q6600, that's a debate best left to the fanboys...I ain't touching it!

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
thanks for the speedy replies

@boomboomcars

yeah I can agree its a good processor, but wouldn't you imagine that true quad core would boost the capability even more? I mean, yeah for most things at the moment it makes no difference - but also the E6600 performs the same, so why bother with a crippled Q6600?

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
and I only debate that because I almost purchased a Q6600, TigerDirect had a special - 680i SLI motherboard and Q6600 for $500, but I figured better to wait for true quad core and price cuts.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The Q6600 is not crippled at all, it would perform most likely with 5% of a quad core designed on a single die, the other optimizations that intel or amd can take though with a single die is where you would get a little more performance. The only reason a Q6600 doesn't perform as well as you think it does is because very few programs/games used today take advantage of the extra cores.

Here is a good comparison of a higher clocked dual core, E6850, and the Q6600.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3038&p=8