Sign in with
Your question

Whatever you do, do not buy an nforce 4 mainboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2007 2:33:09 AM

I have been having problems with my asus nforce 4 motherboard for a while now.
The thing is, that the asus chipset requires so much airflow to keep it from going so hot that the system crashes, that it is close to impossible to make a slightly silent system with this chipset.
Hence I am buying an MSI mainboard with an AMD 690 chipset on it, which uses way less power, and runs so cool that I won't even need a casefan at all.

If you ever need a MB for a silent setup, don't go for nforce 4 or geforce 6150 boards, as they will turn your life into hell. (yes they're that hot!)

More about : buy nforce mainboard

July 21, 2007 3:26:17 AM

or maybe your just dumb... i have had two nforce 4 boards and theyre pretty damn good for the price i paid.
July 21, 2007 3:52:18 AM

Haha, I've also had 2 Nforce 4 boards and I've had my current one for around 2 years and have had no problems with either of them. The Nforce 4 was a tried and true board, never really heard much bad about em actually. Also, Nforce 4 is pretty old now days, I doubt anyone would go out and buy one for a new system.
Related resources
July 21, 2007 4:39:52 AM

Yea my nForce4 runs perfectly, and the only ventilation I have is my CPU and PSU fans.
July 21, 2007 6:02:18 AM

I love my nForce4 board, nothin' says lovin' like Asus.
July 21, 2007 7:19:31 AM

I have the Asus A8N32-SLI and the A8R32. The first is a nForce4 (2 chips) and the other is an ATI crossfire 3200 chip.

Both good and strange mobos. Dont touch their bios too much or they are gonna get weird.

The nforce4 with double chip heats really good and needs some ventilation while the ati chip doesnt warm up at all.

I have my Opty oced to 2.8 on the nforce mobo and I have no problems. But I have to say it's not the best mobo for building a silent HTPC.
July 21, 2007 7:35:26 AM

Absolutely no problems with my nforce4 MB.

Dunno what your problem is though.
July 21, 2007 8:51:12 AM

Is it just me, or is this thread about a VERY old chipset that no one will be buying anymore anyway...
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 21, 2007 8:52:25 AM

Jakc said:
The thing is, that the asus chipset requires so much airflow to keep it from going so hot that the system crashes, that it is close to impossible to make a slightly silent system with this chipset.
Hence I am buying an MSI mainboard with an AMD 690 chipset on it, which uses way less power, and runs so cool that I won't even need a casefan at all.

If you ever need a MB, don't go for nforce 4 or geforce 6150 boards, as they will turn your life into hell. (yes they're that hot!)

Nvidia chipsets do run a little hot but there decent, no issues or nothin, but if its active cooling and the fan fails, say goodbye to the motherboard ;) 
July 21, 2007 9:31:24 AM

You sure you did everything right?
Cause the nForce4 is one of the best chipsets ever made.
July 21, 2007 10:56:17 PM

skittle said:
or maybe your just dumb... i have had two nforce 4 boards and theyre pretty damn good for the price i paid.

No actually I am not dumb at all.
Nforce 4 mainboards are known to get very warm.

Nforce 4 may be an old chip, but the southbridge (the chip that gets blazing hot) is still being used in geforce 6150 motherboards, which people still buy all the time.
With this thread I am just warning people not to buy nforce 4 MB's, as they get very hot.

Yours didn't freak out your system yet? Well good for you. You probably have more than just a silent cpu fan and a silent casefan?

Fact stands that the nforce 4 SB needs good ventilation. Running an nforce 4 system on just a cpu fan is just impossible, and touching your southbridge will make you understand why.

I just bought an AMD 690 system and disabled all fans except the cpu fan.
Unlike with the nforce 4 MB's I used, this setup does not get 60+ degrees and does not make my windows crash.
July 21, 2007 11:30:31 PM

Billions upon billions of nforce 4 boards have been sold and the majority are very good all boards in todays market of fast PC's get hot because we run fast equipment such as mine with an asus A8n32-SLI 7900 GT 2GB corsair matched pair 4400 and I am very happy with Nforce 4 maybe it was a cheap board
July 21, 2007 11:51:55 PM

Well, I do recall that Asus nF4 boards with heatpipe on the SB would not play well in the inverted cases like some Lian Lis... But that's the fault of the cheap heatpipe design (not cheap design, cheap heatpipe. It is conceivable to design heatpipes that do not need gravity assist). Also, at first, Asus was having some problems with fans on the SB going out. That was a long time ago, though...
July 21, 2007 11:53:59 PM

RARRAF said:
Billions upon billions of nforce 4 boards have been sold and the majority are very good all boards in todays market of fast PC's get hot because we run fast equipment such as mine with an asus A8n32-SLI 7900 GT 2GB corsair matched pair 4400 and I am very happy with Nforce 4 maybe it was a cheap board

I realize that nforce 4 boards run just fine for the mayority of people, but it's still my opinion that they just get too hot, and get too unstable when case airflow is not correct.
Cheap is not an excuse, either, the AMD 690 is just as cheap but doesn't have the heat flaw.

I am not the only person to have heat and stability problems with an nforce 4 chipset, a few of my friends had the exact same issues as me with this chip, and googling learns there are many who had similar issues.
All people I have spoken to say that they can not touch the southbridge of the nforce 4 without burning their finger.
July 22, 2007 1:33:15 AM

I used to have an nForce4 Ultra-based motherboard (EpoX 9NPA+), and it was an incredible overclocking board... was able to get my old Athlon 64 3000+ up to around 2.5 GHz on it. I'd consider that pretty good. Also ran quite solidly, better than the board I replaced it with when I went to a socket AM2 board...
July 22, 2007 3:01:11 AM

Jakc said:
I realize that nforce 4 boards run just fine for the mayority of people, but it's still my opinion that MINE just gets too hot, and gets too unstable when MY case airflow is not correct.
Cheap is not an excuse, either, the AMD 690 is just as cheap but doesn't have the heat flaw.

Fixed. Just because you're having a bad experience doesn't mean you should make blanket statements that apply to ALL nForce 4 boards. I also had two in the past, with -0- problems.

-TyShoe
July 22, 2007 4:49:08 AM

Original poster is correct. I have an asus m2n-sli deluxe with heatpipe solution. Thing is, this setup REQUIRES fan cooling. with case open, and silent cpu setup, chipset will overheat. They sell it as passively cooled, but it needs case and cpu fans to move air. I had to install a fan right on the chipset heatsink.

Really only affects us making silent pc's, not people with lots of fans spinning.
July 22, 2007 4:54:22 AM

I currently still have two running. the Abit A8N and the K8N Ultra. Both are zipping along nicely on air and they are both gaming rigs.

But who would buy a Nforce 4 board nowadays anyways ? Newer tech is available
July 22, 2007 6:46:04 AM

Jakc said:

If you ever need a MB, don't go for nforce 4 or geforce 6150 boards, as they will turn your life into hell. (yes they're that hot!)

I have a dfi with nf4 chipset... No problems. Before that I had a few asus nf4's, the NB fan died twice and wiped out the chipset, and the third board shorted internally, took out my psu and cpu... (4Ryan and I were running neck to neck in who could have the worst luck with Asus A8N series MB's...) But none ever had temps that caused me grief prior to their various failures. Oh well, guess my nf4 days are numbered anyway, what I have will last me just fine until x38 and penryns release.

Seems a bit late to be warning people of a problem that seems to only bother you...
July 22, 2007 10:12:02 AM

suddenstop said:
Original poster is correct. I have an asus m2n-sli deluxe with heatpipe solution. Thing is, this setup REQUIRES fan cooling. with case open, and silent cpu setup, chipset will overheat. They sell it as passively cooled, but it needs case and cpu fans to move air. I had to install a fan right on the chipset heatsink.

Really only affects us making silent pc's, not people with lots of fans spinning.

I guess you have a point, for those who don't want a silent system (and those that are ok with warming their room with their computer) nforce 4 should be fine.
Still I would have appreciated it if I would have been able to find a topic like this BEFORE I bought the geforce 6150 motherboard. Would have saved me money.
July 22, 2007 12:21:22 PM

Quote:
Nforce4 is a great chipset, however it is a terrible overclocker. I also highly doubt anyone building a new system or upgrade is going to go for a Nforce4 because its pretty old by now. There are many other better choices out there.

I Don't understand where you are getting that terrible overclocker part from. There are many NF4 boards that overclock well. I've had my current NF4 board for 2 years got a 3200 to 2.75ghz, and my current opteron 170 to 2.95ghz, and I'm not being limited by the board but the processor. I'd say the quality of the board and overclocking ability depends on the manufacturer as well as the chipset.
July 22, 2007 1:28:23 PM

check the sig. NF4 based board
rock solid
overclocks like a beast
being cooled by the stock NB fan and 2 80mm Vantec Stealths pulling in and 2 of the same up top pushing out

thats just about standard case cooling.

Don't have a clue what you are talking about.
July 22, 2007 1:42:23 PM

Both my MSI NF4 and Foxxconn 6150 boards run and OC well. Great chipsets for s939 boards in my opinion,
July 22, 2007 2:38:17 PM

Jakc said:

owner of an asus a8n e nforce4ultra board
rock solid 33 C max temp on full load ....overclocks well..guess you got a dud mobo
July 22, 2007 3:32:45 PM

croc said:
(4Ryan and I were running neck to neck in who could have the worst luck with Asus A8N series MB's...) But none ever had temps that caused me grief prior to their various failures. Oh well, guess my nf4 days are numbered anyway, what I have will last me just fine until x38 and penryns release.

Seems a bit late to be warning people of a problem that seems to only bother you...

Might as well add me to that. 4Ryan4 and I have discussed this many times. I went through four ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe boards before I found one that worked right.

As for the NF4, it was a decent set in my opinion. Its outmoded now, so unless someone was just buying one to keep their old system running a while longer before doing a build, there's no reason to buy it. I found the NF4 on the DFI board to be solid. No troubles there.
July 22, 2007 3:33:05 PM

anticupidon said:
owner of an asus a8n e nforce4ultra board
rock solid 33 C max temp on full load ....overclocks well..guess you got a dud mobo

That is what I first thought, but then checking the temps at friends who also had nforce 4 MB's, and looking online, showed that my MB is not an exception.
I wonder how yours can run so cool.
What memory do you use, and is the 33C the CPU, the northbridge or the southbridge?
July 22, 2007 4:23:04 PM

Ok first off the Nforce4 chipset is an older chipset so you cant compare it to the new chipsets. In its day the NF4 was pretty much the #1 chipset for AMD systems. Im running an older S939 system using a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D and an AMD 4200x2 and i havent had a single problem with it in the two years ive had the system, stability has been perfect even when overclocking. It does run a bit warm, but not to the point of instability. To say that NF4 is a poor overclocker is just nonsense, there are many other variables that come into play when overclocking its not just the chipset.

Maybe you guys just got bad mobos. But to say NF4 is bad just because you had one bad expereince is just crazy. Maybe you should be blaming Asus for not putting sufficeint cooling for the chipset? You might want to look into a decent chipset cooler
http://www.thermalright.com/default.htm
http://www.swiftnets.com/
July 22, 2007 5:48:24 PM

First of all, the geforce 6150 with the 430 southbridge is for sale today, and direct competitor to the new AMD 690 chipset, and second I think if you read my posts, I did say I was not the onlyone to experience these problems.
More than just one bad MB.

If asus does not use the required cooling on chipsets, than that's ridiculous. You shouldn't have to glue vents to your motherboard to get some stability.
July 22, 2007 7:22:24 PM

My GA-K8NF-9 does run hot, but it's got a passive heatsink and has never caused me any problems.

It also overclocks very well (330MHz) so I'm extremely happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

So the title of this thread: 'Whatever you do, do not buy an nforce 4 mainboard' is totally over the top.

Although as others have posted it's an old chipset so who cares anyway?
July 22, 2007 8:36:44 PM

Jakc said:
That is what I first thought, but then checking the temps at friends who also had nforce 4 MB's, and looking online, showed that my MB is not an exception.
I wonder how yours can run so cool.
What memory do you use, and is the 33C the CPU, the northbridge or the southbridge?

well first of all i replaced the chipset cooler with a passive heatsink zalman ZM-NBF47
cpu on idle 33 C i have an artic freezer64 and mobo also 33 34 on idle
i have an amd athlon 3200 venice oc to 2500
memory 2x512 kingston400mhz
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2007 9:05:06 PM

Lol. Irrelevant. The chipset is too old for may to care about.
July 22, 2007 9:08:44 PM

Yep, my GA-K8N PRO is the best Motherboard i've ever owned, and guess what? it has an Nforce 4 chipset in it.
July 22, 2007 10:18:00 PM

I don't know about you, but over here geforce 6150 motherboards get sold every day.
July 22, 2007 10:19:42 PM

Maybe the problems only arise when it comes to DDR2 motherboards with nforce 4 chipsets on it?
July 22, 2007 10:31:28 PM

Are you trying to prove you're an idiot? 'Cause we already know.
July 22, 2007 10:48:28 PM

An idiot for having a motherboard that overheats? Or an idiot for trying to find out why all people that I know IRL that own an nforce 4 have similar problems as me, yet in this thread many say it runs fine.

Nah idiotic would be joining this thread to say your nforce board is the best board ever, without explaining what kind of fans and coolers you use.
Your input has even less worth than your attempts at flaming.
July 22, 2007 10:52:57 PM

hahahaha, well, if anything your reply humors me. i think i'll let this one go, not worth my time.
July 22, 2007 10:58:09 PM

Oh comon Alan, don't disappoint me now...
If giving more information about your "best motherboard ever" setup (aka contributing to the thread) is really that big of a task for you, how about you at least try to make a flame that is somewhat amusing?

July 23, 2007 2:07:01 AM

I use an nforce 4 SLI board with no problems. I've always had additional fans to ensure good airflow through my system though, generally 1 in the front and back, depending on the case.
July 23, 2007 9:23:37 AM

Rabidpeanut said:
Is it just me, or is this thread about a VERY old chipset that no one will be buying anymore anyway...

FYI I just bought an asrock am2nf3 , an AGP NF3 motherboard for a cheap AM2 set-up. Mind the chipset is older than the NF4, who knows what new motherboard will come out using the NF4 in times to come.
July 23, 2007 9:44:24 AM

sailer said:
Might as well add me to that. 4Ryan4 and I have discussed this many times. I went through four ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe boards before I found one that worked right.

As for the NF4, it was a decent set in my opinion. Its outmoded now, so unless someone was just buying one to keep their old system running a while longer before doing a build, there's no reason to buy it. I found the NF4 on the DFI board to be solid. No troubles there.

Ok, you win.... I gave up after two a8n -sli deluxe and one a8n-32 deluxe... :ouch: 

But DFI's rock. Solid, that is...
July 23, 2007 10:53:46 AM

I've built four NForce4 PCs with no more than an intake/exhaust fan and they're all running perfectly fine. One of them is in a friend's PC which she uses for nearly 24/7 raiding on EQ2. Another one is in another friend's PC which is also used for gaming with an intake/exhaust fan and I have the CPU OC'd 300mhz (not a huge OC but still lol).

Of course, I was smart and bought all EVGA boards which came with active cooling on the south-bridge (o.O)

Ya know, it's funny cuz I'm looking at a JetWay board, which I've never heard of before, but it looks exactly like the EVGA NF4 boards lol. Hm...weird.
a c 138 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 23, 2007 12:07:07 PM

The chipset cooler on my Abit KN8-Ultra (NF4) began shrieking in less than a year, so I replaced it. It has a large passive cooler on it now. Although stable, it is not overclocked but does seem a little warm (upper 40s after half a day of Guild Wars; CPU hits 57c now).
July 23, 2007 12:19:08 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.
It seems like nforce 4 is fine, as long as you're not trying to make your system very silent.

Jtt283, are you sure that the 40 degrees is the actual temp of the chipset? The temperature that speedfan/asus probe shows, is not the actual temp of the chipset in most cases.
If it really is 40, you should be able to touch your northbridge without burning your finger, something I was never able to do on my asus m2npv mainboard, not even when it was idle.

July 23, 2007 12:50:02 PM

if you think the nforce4 chipsets are hot, then you obviously haven't seen a nforce 4 x16, 5 or 6 series chipset, theres a reason they use heatpipes now, and it isn't just for noise. If your nforce 4 is overheating then there are a few things you need to check on
  • Case airflow is good
  • Your chipset voltage is default, if you tried to overclock the chipset its gonna get hot.
  • You're an idiot, and expect your components to run cool

I use an nforce4 chipset, on my DFI Lanparty, I can easily stick my hand on it and hold it there. My video card is a different issue, that thing gets hot, chipset at 30c video at 80c tiny difference. Do a little research next time.
    July 23, 2007 1:07:13 PM

Jakc said:

If you ever need a MB for a silent setup, don't go for nforce 4 or geforce 6150 boards, as they will turn your life into hell. (yes they're that hot!)

My NForce 4 system just celebrated its 2nd birthday and it's been the most stable system I've ever owned... and its spent 95% of its life with a healthy 15%+ overclock. Perhaps you bought a dud or perhaps you just have terrible airflow.
    July 23, 2007 1:15:01 PM

I've built 6 NF4 SLI computers with no fans on the chipsets and they all run fine.
    July 23, 2007 1:26:21 PM

crazypyro said:
    if you think the nforce4 chipsets are hot, then you obviously haven't seen a nforce 4 x16, 5 or 6 series chipset, theres a reason they use heatpipes now, and it isn't just for noise. If your nforce 4 is overheating then there are a few things you need to check on
  • Case airflow is good
  • Your chipset voltage is default, if you tried to overclock the chipset its gonna get hot.
  • You're an idiot, and expect your components to run cool

I use an nforce4 chipset, on my DFI Lanparty, I can easily stick my hand on it and hold it there. My video card is a different issue, that thing gets hot, chipset at 30c video at 80c tiny difference. Do a little research next time.

• Case airflow in a normal system or in a silent system is a completely different matter.
    The geforce 6150 mainboards with the nforce 430 southbridge are made for silent systems, as advertised on the package. (qfan, cool n quiet, passive cooling)
    After buying such a mainboard I don't expect it to need the kind of airflow that you do not have in typical silent systems, as it is supposed to be a mainboard for silent systems. I don't think this makes me an idiot.

And posting on these forums and reading about peoples experiences IS the research.
    July 23, 2007 2:17:43 PM

Hmmm, let's see, 8 systems with 6100 chipsets, 2 systems with 6150's - and 9 of the 10 in low airflow setups for low noise. Not 1 overheating problem. Sounds like the OP got the faulty one, at least from my experience.
    !