CPU Running Too Hot? Q6600 73+ Degrees C

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I just hooked up my Q6600 in a brand new setup. I have a Nexus PHT-7750 cooler and a Antec Sonata II (with the rear air baffle). However, the CPU is running really hot, as far as I can tell. I am idling (before any OS install, just watching the BIOS) at 73 degrees Celsius. The room I'm in is fairly warm, around 27-29 degrees C. I'm not going to be overclocking the CPU at all, and actually I'm looking into building a fairly silent computer (the PHT-7750 is quiet, but not perfect). As far as I can tell on various forums, 70+ degrees is unheard of and I'm running extremely hot. I actually opened the case, didn't achieve any additional cooling (not expected) and touched the heatsink coils. The coils didn't feel very warm, although it's hard to tell. I can't figure out if the heat is getting transfered to the heatsink to get cooled out. Is it possible that mis-applied thermal paste (I just used the stock stuff) is costing me dearly? Or is the Nexus PHT-7750 just a really bad cooler? Have I screwed up in some other big way?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
you really shouldnt be over 45 idle... (even this is pretty warm)

I would take the heatsink off, clean the paste of it and the CPU and RE-attach them.

GL

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Ok, I will clean the paste and re-apply. I used the strategy on Arctic Cooling, which is to put a thin line across the CPU and apply that way, but the paste doesn't appear to have pushed across the entire CPU. I need to get some new paste to re-apply. Any recommendations? Also, any good tutorials on how to install a heatsink properly? I clearly screwed something up badly on this install.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
when u take off the HSF you should clean the it and the CPU, I guess, and reaply the thermal paste.

Most people say two rice size drops.

Spread it with a sandwich bag or credit card.

XgoDoT

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
when u take off the HSF you should clean the it and the CPU, I guess, and reaply the thermal paste.

Most people say two rice size drops.

Spread it with a sandwich bag or credit card.

well also use a proper thermal paste such as arctic silver 5

it really smells like bad cooler installation..

greetz

X

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Yeah, I thought about the BIOS being wrong as well - will try an upgrade on the BIOS.

Also, Shadowmaster625, what should my core be at for optimal cooling? I also noticed that my multiplier was at 9 (so that the CPU was at 2.4 GHz) which the BIOS listed as max. Is this expected?

smithdickerson

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
replace your current heatsink with the stock heatsink and see what happen. It seem like the heatsink causes this problem. The temp. of my CPU used to be in 70s C. After I replace the heat sink, it is now around 30C.

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I didn't get a stock heatsink got the proc chip OEM - should I go buy a cheapo from Radioshack or something similar?

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Wow. Excellent write-up -- thank you Paul. Looks like I may have the triple whammy -- improperly applied thermal, poorly designed HSF and stock thermal. The good news is I'm going to try to remedy two of the issues tonight with Arctic Silver 5 (who knew Radio Shack sold it?!) and applying the thermal properly. I'll also try some experiments with putting extra pressure on the HSF to make a cleaner connect with the CPU.

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I got myself Arctic Silver 5 and redid the install.

I pulled out the CPU and cleaned with Isopropyl, same with the heatsink. Then I applied 2 small dabs evenly across the CPU and wiped off the excess. I pushed down the CPU evenly and firmly and locked it into place. It still felt a little loose, so I gave it another heavy push. Not much accomplished, the heatsink still wiggles a bit (the "legs" are locked, but the heatsink wiggles).

I turned on the computer and watched the temp go up to about 52 degrees. Then I adjusted smartfan settings to spin the CPU to the highest level. The temp retreated to about 49 and stayed fairly stable between 49-51.

Then I installed the Sonata II air baffle which is supposed to get air away from the CPU, but as far as I can tell, does a better job trapping it. The temp rose to 53-54 degrees and stabilized. Then I put the cover on, the temp stabilized to 55 degrees. Then I adjusted the fans back down to regular level and it's stabilized at 58.

Finally, I tilted the case into it's upright position and was expecting a HUGE drop off (because if Paul is right above, the heatsink should be loose, and not have enough downward pressure on it to cover the CPU. I was pleasantly surprised to see it only hike up to 59 degrees celsius.

From what I gather, I'm still much hotter than normal (by at least 10 degrees) but I think it's something I can deal with as a non-overclocker. Thanks for your help everyone.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
BIOS CAN NOT BE WRONG QUAD CORE REDUCES VOLTAGE WITH TEMPS

improperly installed hsf
no thermla paster or poorly applied
fan is not working

thats way too high u should be at 30-40c max

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
What motherboard are you using? I've seen temp readings be way off before (which is why my 4200+ supposedly idles at 60C at stock speeds)...

ffejie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I'm using the XFX nForce 680i LT. Interestingly enough, once I loaded Ubuntu and played around for a bit, then checked the temp, it was 52 degrees. This was just after some basic installing and web browsing. It appears the BIOS is spinning the CPU quite a bit higher than it needs too.