Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro- no need to buy thermal paste?

thesmallelder

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
This is my first build and I plan on getting a Q6600 and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (as I've heard it's quieter than the stock fan/heatsink). I read the the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro comes with MX-1 thermal paste pre-applied on the copper base. Does mean I do not need to buy additional thermal paste to apply on the CPU or do I need to apply it in addition to the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm about to purchase the two and don't want to end up installing it incorrectly and cause the components to overheat.

Also, I'm curious if the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is really quieter than the stock fan/heatsink? I don't plan on overclock, I just wanted to build a quieter computer. I'm aiming for near silence.

Thanks!

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I'll confirm that it has Thermal paste pre-applied, it seems to work ok too.

You do not need to add any extra thermal paste to the F7P in order to install it. It seems fine noise wise, except when booting I think, as it has a fan controller on it. It might be noisier at specific times but I think it's about as quiet as a stock HSF from intel (Except it drops temperatures about 5-10 degrees :p). It depends on what processor you have too.

Near silence means you should look at getting something like the F7P, except make sure you get a fanless version, preferably all copper. IE, a passive heatsink. It'll again depend on your CPU.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I run my Scythe Ninja passive... kinda. It sits close enough to my rear exhaust AND my power supply that between those two 120mm fans, it works the same with or without the Scythe fan attached. So I dont use it.

I have also just ghetto-moded a ducting system to force more of the pwr and exhaust air to be pulled directly through the HS. I also added a secondary duct to it that ducts my window fan air directly down to my NB HS. which anyone with a DS3 knows, gets blistering hot even at stock speeds. But with even the smallest airflow through it will remain barely warm.

After I get some temp results before and after I will post a thread with pics.