  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
June 29, 2005 6:19:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I try to open more than one document at a time from anywhere I get this
Move Items box opening up for each document. It says:

Select the place where you want to move "The Document". Then check the move
button.

[A List of My System]

To view any subfolder, click a plus sign above.

Make New Folder Move Cancel

[Three buttons at the bottom]

Has anybody seen this before, This just started happening for reasons
unknown. Before if I opened up 5 documents they opened up, now this. Thanks
for any help

Bruce

More about : question

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:17:07 PM

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote:

>When I try to open more than one document at a time from anywhere I get this
>Move Items box opening up for each document. It says:
>
>Select the place where you want to move "The Document". Then check the move
>button.
>
>[A List of My System]
>
>To view any subfolder, click a plus sign above.
>
>Make New Folder Move Cancel
>
>[Three buttons at the bottom]

I would check if this is caused by some software running in the
background. See "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to
Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Bruce,

SYMPTOM

When I select two or more files in Windows Explorer to open in Notepad or
any other program, for every selected file - before opening it in the proper
application - I first get a dialog asking me where to move the item.
Canceling this dialog brings up the next asking where to copy the file.
Canceling this dialog leads to opening of the file and bringing up the next
files "move-dialog"! Pretty irritating!

CAUSE

The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the context
menu. For a complete explanation, see this page - by Raymond Chen [MS]

The Old New Thing : What goes wrong when you add "Copy To" to the context
menu:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/02/66...

Problem will be resolved once these context entries are removed. The entry
might be present here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

NOTE: Before you modify a registry key, make a backup by exporting to a REG
file.

Delete these two items:
{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft CopyTo Service
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft MoveTo Service

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I try to open more than one document at a time from anywhere I get
> this
> Move Items box opening up for each document. It says:
>
> Select the place where you want to move "The Document". Then check the
> move
> button.
>
> [A List of My System]
>
> To view any subfolder, click a plus sign above.
>
> Make New Folder Move Cancel
>
> [Three buttons at the bottom]
>
> Has anybody seen this before, This just started happening for reasons
> unknown. Before if I opened up 5 documents they opened up, now this.
> Thanks
> for any help
>
> Bruce

Related resources
June 30, 2005 9:23:16 PM

I have never understood why one of the options in "send to" isn't C
drive with a popup to select exactly where to sent it. I have it
fixed now via 3rd party software, but why doesn't Microsoft get a clue
and just include C: on the Send To menu?

``````````````````````````````````

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:02:33 +0530, Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> SYMPTOM
>
> When I select two or more files in Windows Explorer to open in Notepad or
> any other program, for every selected file - before opening it in the proper
> application - I first get a dialog asking me where to move the item.
> Canceling this dialog brings up the next asking where to copy the file.
> Canceling this dialog leads to opening of the file and bringing up the next
> files "move-dialog"! Pretty irritating!
>
> CAUSE
>
> The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the context
> menu. For a complete explanation, see this page - by Raymond Chen [MS]

<snip>
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:06:00 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:23:16 -0700, sf wrote:

> I have never understood why one of the options in "send to" isn't C
> drive with a popup to select exactly where to sent it. I have it
> fixed now via 3rd party software, but why doesn't Microsoft get a clue
> and just include C: on the Send To menu?

There are "Move To" and "Copy To" buttons that can be added to the standard
toolbar of Windows Explorer and My Computer. Using these buttons brings up
a window showing all hard drives and folders (similar to the left hand
column of Explorer). I've found it useful. Maybe not as desirable as a
right click item but still useful.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User