HDD making LOUD grinding noises

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
i have a 2 year old hp that i use for office work. a few weeks ago it had some issues(long story)... so i added more ram andi had to replace my hard drive. i cloned the hard drives(i forget what program i used, will post later) and put the new one in. everything was fine up intil a few days agowhen it started freezing up on me. i restarted it and it started to make loud grinding noises, and it was vibrating so much that i could feel it .a message came up that said that the operating system is corrupt. i called hp and they said i needed to reinstall the os. is this a problem with my operatins system?? it worked fine with the old hard drive, so i was wondering if something went wrong whit the cloning or if i have a bad hard drive. i just thought i would ask for your opinions on what the problem is .

Thanks!!

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
HDD Status Failing: Backup and Replace.

I'm having a similar problem on my 2nd 80GB. Or rather, had. I unplugged it without even attempting to do a recovery, bought a new drive, and only then did I do a recovery. The drive failed almost immediately afterwards...

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
the hdd is bad, so im going to get another one today. but since it keeps on freezing there is no way for me to back it up onto an external hdd is there?? i just dont want to loose all of my work.

sailer

Splendid

I'm going to make an asumption that you got the new(?) hard drive from HP. That would explain the reason they want you to do everything except RMA it. Like the others said, that hard drive is failing. Buy a new one like a Seagate or WD from Newegg or whoever and install it. Then disconnect the new one and hook up the old one and make backups of everything that you want. Then reconnect the new one and install your backups. After that, try to RMA the failing drive. If you can't do that, take it to a rifle range and relieve your frustrations.

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007

The reason it keeps freezing up is because it's trying to access files that the OS needs to run. (And when it can't, or it takes too long, your system freezes.) Once you get the OS onto a working hard drive, you won't have that issue, and it should be able to stay alive long enough to get your files off of it.

Just stop using it until you can get that other drive with an OS installed on it - the more you use it, the quicker it will totally die, and like you said, you don't want to lose your work.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I'd do these things in this order(Coincidentally I mentioned spinrite on my last post).

1. Buy new hard drive, install Windows on it. Make sure you have a FAT32 partition somewhere. Spinrite can't write to NTFS, so FAT32 is all you get. Make enough FAT32 space to store the quantity of data you think you'll want to recover. Remember you can always use a program like partition magic later to fix this problem.

NOTE: Every step after this could potentially take an ice age or 2 to complete. Please be patient.

2. Boot up with Spinrite and try to recover your data. Recover as much as you can, set compression to maximum and recover away.

3. Load up your ZIP file that you got from Spinrite and extract it. Check out your data and hopefully you aren't having to go any further. If your data is corrupt there's only 1 option left IMO.

4. Boot up from your new hard drive with your old hard drive on a separate channel(if you are IDE) and try to copy it in windows. I recommend you do this only out of complete desperation becaue this will most likely take forever(or perhaps even longer) and will probably not be as likely to end up with your data as spinrite.

5. RMA defective hard drive(or take it to the shooting range for target practice!)

The best thing you can do right now is not use your drive any more, and only use that drive when you are actually trying to recover data.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I was going to apologize for being redundant, but your last post must have been in another thread.

Wouldn't you want to get a drive that was large enough to set the compression to minimum? I would think it would be somewhat faster (I know it can take an eternity anyway) and be less prone to failing with a lower compression setting?

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
i bought a new hdd and cloned the old one to this new one. no problems since, i guess that it was just a bad hdd

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

rofl

mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

What does "clicking" sound like? (sry it mihgt be hard to explain)
Just wondering because one old computer has sometimes randomly a weird noise wich I think is coming from the HDD.

Nirmk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
i have a s-ata seagate 400 hd that is making alot more noise than it has ever any one have any sugestions.