sata II compatability

so i used to have two IBM 400GB SATAII drives, but one died. (oddly enough, it died the day after i read that article on tom's hardware about putting hard disks in your freezer. i didn't do that though, didn't have to. i back up my stuff, thank you.) so now i need another disk. i want another 400GB model, and i'm wondering if there's any definite light on the subject of SATA II compatability. my motherboard only has SATA I and i've been using SATA II disks, but i've had SATA II disks not work in a SATA I motherboard before. is it just drive prefrence, or is there some definite rule to this?

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
There's never a definite rule with computer compatibility - except "expect the unexpected." :)

That said, SATAII is backwards compatible, so your new drive should work just fine, but it will be restricted to the 1.5Gb/s transfer rate of SATAI, and won't be able to use the 3.0Gb/s that SATAII offers.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Some drives require a jumper, some just auto-adjust themselves. All should be sata 150 compatable, but check the mfg.'s web site for if and how.