Sign in with
Your question

Can I move RAID HDDs to new computer?

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2007 3:11:39 PM

I have two SATA Maxtor hard drives (DIamondMax Plus 9, 120GB / 150 HDD) in a striped RAID in my now defunct computer (Asus A7N8X2.0 motherboard, AMD Athlon, XP 2500+, 1829 MHz).

1. Is there any way to get access to the data on those hard drives without getting a mobo with RAID on my new computer?

2. If not, then do I need to buy the same "version" of raid? My mobo had raid built in. If I get a Dell with an FastTrack raid card, can I just add my hard drives in there and, presto, see my data?

- Thumper
August 12, 2007 11:27:37 AM

You'll need an identical or at least compatible RAID controller (which in this case will probably be same thing :) )

But then again I know you didn't keep important data on a RAID0 volume with no backup....... right ???
February 9, 2008 7:32:25 PM

I had an Abit KN9 SLI w/ a nForce 570 chipset which died, and now have a MSI K9N4 SLI with a nForce 500 chipset (cheap temporary replacement).
Both have NVRAID, and the utility on the MSI recognizes the RAID 0 stripe as "healthy", but Windows doesn't recognize it; Windows doesn't recognize the drives at all.

Any suggestions?
Related resources
February 9, 2008 8:17:25 PM

Look in diskmanagement to see if they show up and what options you get if they do.
February 9, 2008 8:59:20 PM

disk manager reports nothing either.
February 9, 2008 9:00:17 PM

You possibly have to start over fresh then.
February 9, 2008 9:01:33 PM

Did you check device manager, or Disk management? Disk management is what you need to check.
February 9, 2008 9:24:19 PM

yeah I checked Disk Management.

I'm just confused how the NVRAID utility says the stripe is "healthy" and windows doesn't see it at all...NVRAID drivers are installed, I've rebooted...

Is there a RAID utility that I can run in Windows? Might give me some more options.
February 9, 2008 9:28:53 PM

I am out of ideas. I dont have any raid experience. Good luck though.
February 9, 2008 10:12:46 PM

holy jeez...all this time, I never bothered to look in Device Manager...apparently the nvraid drivers never got installed.
D'OH!

Now that they are, Device Manager sees a single array (shows up as NVIDIA Stripe), and Disk Management sees it as a single drive too, but unfortunately it's still not visible in Windows Explorer...
This means one of 2 things:
1. Somehow this NVRAID Controller is incompatible with the one from the Abit board
2. Somehow the array got corrupt or "broken"
...neither of these mean I'll be able to recover the data. This is very bad news...

thumperstrauss: did you have any luck!?

I just found this thread:
http://icrontic.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10912.htm...
which is all kinds of doom & gloom.
February 9, 2008 10:44:40 PM

You may need to set it as active and assign it a drive letter through disk management. Good news. I'm pretty sure you are on the road to goodness now. The only time I ever had one not show up in explorer was because it wasnt active or assigned a drive letter any more. If it was C in the old system obviously it cant be C in this new system so ya check the drive letter and assign a new one.
February 10, 2008 12:47:10 AM

thanks for the optimism, but I'm hosed...the fact that Disk Management sees the array as "unallocated" means that windows thinks it's never been formatted/partitioned, which means it's pretty much unrecoverable.

If you google "Move RAID array" you will find all kinds of cautions and bad experiences...who'd a thunk? Especially between 2 boards with almost identical controllers.

I'm beginning to think RAID is pointless...I've gone through way more motherboards than HDDs; in fact, I've NEVER lost a HDD.
February 10, 2008 12:58:15 AM

One who raids should keep constant backups.
February 10, 2008 1:27:15 AM

Oh SoS:

You are just lucky with HD's.

Moping RAID's work most of the time from my experience. I still wouldn't raid with an on-board controler just to be safe.
February 10, 2008 2:07:25 AM

UPDATE: I bought the Syba PCI Serial ATA Host Controller Card for my new PC. It has the same chip as the RAID on my old mobo. I attached my old HDDs and the RAID was identified and it worked perfectly.

I got my data off the RAIDed HDDs and onto my new massive HDD. Then I cleared the RAID and use those two HDDs are regular storage. I have learned my lesson.

Btw, the individual HDDs are fast enough for DV video capture. No dropped frames. RAID no longer needed for home video editing.
May 14, 2009 3:33:09 AM

thumperstrauss said:
UPDATE: I bought the Syba PCI Serial ATA Host Controller Card for my new PC. It has the same chip as the RAID on my old mobo. I attached my old HDDs and the RAID was identified and it worked perfectly.

I got my data off the RAIDed HDDs and onto my new massive HDD. Then I cleared the RAID and use those two HDDs are regular storage. I have learned my lesson.

Btw, the individual HDDs are fast enough for DV video capture. No dropped frames. RAID no longer needed for home video editing.

I had an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard that also used the on-board Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA RAID controller. I used that great mobo for 6+ years until it blew up a few months ago. I got so comfortable with it that I too forgot to regularly backup the RAID-0 drives on it. Thanks to this thread I found from a Google search, I bought that same Syba PCI Card SD-SATA150R. I popped it in another PC, it booted up with the RAID BIOS (4.2.83) already on the card and it recognised my two WD 80gb drives already in RAID-0.

If you ever read this thread again, Thumperstrauss, thanks a ton!
!