dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've been looking for a good two computer KVM switch that recognizes use keyboard and mouse, can switch sound, and can switch a monitor. I've looked around at some old reviews here and can't really find anything of use that's new, and there are no posts in the forum at all about KVM switches. So if any of you guys have one that supports all those functions, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you guys.

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Just use a splitter on the two computers for the sound issue. Or, use Window's remote desktop and not use a KVM.

I've been happy with my TRENDnet KVM switch.

I do not know of any KVM switches that will also switch multiple audio channels. The main proferssional use for KVM switches is to control server farms.

I have been using a 4 port Cybex (now Avocent, I think) switch for years. I have not seen any noticable degradation up to 1600 x 1200.

I live by myself when I am working in Saudi Arabia. I have my network set up with Box 1 (gaming and multimedia) and Box 2 (workhorse) online through the wireless router. Box 3 (personal data) is offline. I use the 4th port for testing other computers. Laptop is tied to the router by Cat 5 cable. I have the wireless functions turned off - better security.

Since I have moved most of my games to the new box, I do not need to switch audio. But if I had to, I would wire up a little manual, multi-channel switch box.

Two of J.S. Casteel's Geek Test questions (with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy):

1. If you have more computers than people in the house, you might be a geek.
2. If you have a home network and you live alone, ...