Old hard drive corrupting new hard drive (long)

word2_99

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I have a fairly unique issue. I have a corrupt hard drive that will boot and go into windows but will experience bsod after about 3 hours of use. I have ran check disk from the repair console twice (both times finding and repairing errors). I ran check disk and then cloned the corrupt drive to a new (raw) WD hard drive using HDClone. The cloned drive booted to windows on the initial try with no problems. Every subsequent attempt to boot the new drive would cause the computer to hang in post for several minutes and then try to boot from cd. I believed the new hard drive to be faulty or that I had brought the issue from the original drive to the new drive by cloning. So onto my second new hard drive. I once again used HDClone to copy old to new. This time I experienced the problem right away. The computer would hang in post and then enter windows. So at this point I have concluded that cloning was not going to be an option. So I format the 2nd new drive and do a fresh install. After the install, low and behold I get the same issue, hanging at post and unable to enter windows. Now I am really puzzled. Worked on this for a couple of days with no solution. So at this point I take another new hard drive and install windows and everything is fine. I load all the drivers and set up the system for use. The last thing I do is slave the old drive to the working drive so I can copy critical data to the new drive. BAD IDEA! I return the computer to the workstation turn it on and it hangs in the post and refuses to enter windows. Totally at a loss now, I take the latest new drive and perform a low level format and then re-install windows. Once again, same issue, computer hangs at post and no windows. Not a clue what would destroy a new drive by simply slaving in to a corrupt drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Your new drive is fine. What's almost certainly happening is that when the new Windows install on the good drive tries to access your old drive, the bad drive is sending back malformed responses, which is hanging Windows.

If, like you said, you can run Windows on the bad drive for a few hours, I'd boot up with it, and burn backups to CD/DVD, and then move the data to your new drive after the old drive is disconnected.

Once that's done, you could even try to save the old drive by doing a low level format - could be that the drive just has some nasty corruption issues in the Master File Table, or something like that, and it's not a hardware failure.

Good luck.

word2_99

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks for the reply, it's hard to believe that I left some salient information out of my original post but I have. The 3 new drives suffer from the same problems whether or not the old drive was attached. I even put the last new drive as a single drive in a totally different system only to receive all of the same issues.

royalcrown

Distinguished

That is probably wrong, go look on the ACRONIS forums, whenever you do a copy like that (depending on the utility used), the BAD sectors get copied as well. I don't know if HDClone does, but it sounds like he copied the bad sectors over to the new drive along with the good.