How do i get fans to run quieter?

dlesko

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hi guys, i just got a new computer from Cyberpower and the fans on this thing are running real loud and they never seem to turn off. I downloaded Speedfan but it does not seem to be able to controll the fans. I go to their main screen and try to decrease the percentage of each fan and nothing happens. Is there a way to make these fans run quieter? Do i even need them at all considering the system came with water cooling? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Dave

leo2kp

Distinguished
The fans and the board itself has to support variable fan speeds for it to work right, so it doesn't surprise me that it's not turning down. I'd keep one intake and one exhaust fan as a minimum (intake over HDDs, exhaust the hot air), but since you have water cooling that might be enough for you. If it's a huge problem, spend another $30 and get quieter fans from Newegg or Frozencpu. If your PC can support larger fans, that also helps cuz it keeps RPMs down while keeping CFMs higher.

Dlesko, if your fans and/or motherboard do not support variable speeds, you can also try the 7 volt mod to slow the fans down, and make them quiet. This, of course, would require some wiring changes on your part, but is very easy to do. I recommend you research on how to do this, and become comfortable before attempting, though.

As to the question of needing the fans, the answer is yes. The CPU, GPU, and chipsets are not the only parts that heat up. The fans will cool the rest of the things that the water cooling does not.

Your fans are probably plugged straight into the PSU with molex connectors, not into the mobo. I'll second Leo's suggestion to replace them with quieter models. I've used Thermaltake fans, which aren't the very best, but they can be set up with their own rheostats in unused PCI slots or temperature sensors that you put where you want them.