No drive letter for SATA drive with ASUS board

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I have an ASUS P4P800-MX motherboard with two SATA interfaces onboard, and they allow 150 MB’s data transfer. I have an EIDE WD 160 HD that works fine, that I have my Windows XP pro working on. I recently purchased from EBAY a SATA “second generation” drive model WD1600AAJS. I have placed a jumper on the SATA drive to lock this drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate in order to work with my motherboard. When I run disk management, I can see this SATA drive, but there is no driver letter attached to it. I have also downloaded a Western Digital utility program that will see all drives attached to my motherboard. Disk Management has partitioned this SATA drive, but will not give me the option to format, and the Western Digital utility has examined this drive and says working properly. The question is “How can I get a drive letter assigned and how can I format this drive?”

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I would say more than likely that this drive is either not initialized or it doesnt have a drive letter associated. In which case in Disk Management right click on the drive and either inialize or select a drive letter.

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Under disk management, I have two columns; one column shows Disk 1 (with no letter) and the other column shows how much free space there is. If I right click on the Disk 1 column it gives me three options – convert to dynamic disk, properties and help. There is no option for a drive letter. The second column also gives me three options – New logical drive, delete partition, or help. Again, no option to assign a drive letter.

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Thank you koolaidkitten for your outstanding help. You were spot on. I have been struggling with this drive for days. I like the challenge and I very much appreciate your help. It assigned a drive letter and formatted this drive. Everything works perfect!