New System Questions...GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R & SATA to use?

Blood01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Hello, I just put together the following system for my brother:
==========================================
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6320
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL 4-4-4-15 / Platinum / Revision 2 / Kit OCZ2P800.R22GK
HD: 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Video: EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
PS: Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05
Speakers: Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers
Key: Logitech Office Pro 967452-0403 White PS/2 Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser
CPU-FAN: ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm
Monitor: SCEPTRE X20WC-Gamer Black 20.1" 5ms DVI Widescreen Glare HD (HDCP) LCD
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW
==========================================

I was looking at the MB manual and had a question. There are two sets of SATA inputs: orange and purple ones.
13-128-050-04.jpg

The Purple ones according to the manual "GSATA" and the Orange ones are labeled SATA.
If I just have 2 Hard Drives and 1 Burner which inputs should I use on the MB?
I'm not going to implement it using RAID.

Should the HD's plug into the 2 Purple or the orange ones and the burner get the purple? If someone can please clarify which. :bounce:

Also when I go to install XP, will it auto detect the SATA HD's or do i have to install the 3rd Party Drivers using a floppy disk? If I don't have a floppy drive what other options can I use?

I'd appreciate any advise from those who have this board out there.

Thank you... :pt1cable:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Use the SATA (orange) connectors. Starting with the lowest number, looks like it's 0, connect the drive with the OS and programs to this and then 1 and 2 for the other 2 drives

Blood01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks G-Paw. Would you happen to know the answer to the other question regarding the pre-XP drivers? Do I need a 3rd Party disk or should XP detect the SATA HD's and allow me to install on one?
Otherwise I gotta hook up a floppy drive I think right?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you got a floppy with with the mobo, you should install them and you'll need a floppy. If they didn't come with the board you shouldn't need them. I know that Floppies get no respect but when you need them, e.g., you need to check the hard drive with the mfg software off a Floppy, you really need them. I'm the last of a dying breed who believes that the computer gods mandate a floppy in every computer and only trouble follows ignoring this because the they can be very vengeful. :bounce:

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
SATA hd's don't need drivers installed, they are automatically detected. The only time you would need to load drivers for the hd's would be for RAID.

Orange = Intel (it's in the south bridge under the lower orange heatsink)
Purple = Gigabytes thrid party sata controller(you can see the chip right next to the ports)

Use orange as Intel has top notch performance and if you are not gonna hot plug(ACHI is best for this) or run RAID you don't need any drivers. The drives will run in IDE mode then and the only down side is no NcQ(Native Command Queuing ), but i bet you will never even notice it not being there.

Hope this clears it up a bit....

jeditim

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Am I wrong? :??: I thought you would need drivers for SATA if you were installing XP. I installed Vista onto a P35-DQ6, two SATA HDs and one SATA DVD driver, and was fine...only thing I needed to do was to disconnect one hard driver for the install as Vista wouldn't recognize the drives with two attached :pt1cable:

BTW: I installed using the orange connections for the reasons explained above.
Tim

Blood01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
BTW I built this system and didn't need any special drivers. I used the Orange Plugs and in the BIOS just set the the 1st listed SATA type to AHCI and disabled the Gigabyte SATA controller. XP Installed just fine with no problems. System is up and running nicely.
I am having problems with OC'ing a bit. The memory Ratio on these boards is so confusing I don't know why they couldn't just list like: 1:1, or 3:2, or 5:6.... instead they have it as: 2.0, 2.4, etc...
my cpu runs at 7x w/ 266 (1.325V) = 1.86Ghz but I bumped it up to 350Mhz (1.4025V) and set the Ratio to 2.0 which is 1:1 but it didn't post. I gotta play around with it more and get a feel for how this thing can effectively OC. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

What memory are you using?

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

That's not quite correct.

If your boot drive is on a NATIVE SATA controller (meaning it doesn't have a separate BIOS), then you don't need additional drivers. If the SATA controller is separate (like a Promise controller or something), then yes, you will need additional drivers.

...but your boot drive is RAID or JBOD, then REGARDLESS of whether the controller is native or not, you need additional drivers.

In this case:
Orange: No additional drivers needed (exception: RAID).
Purple: Additional drivers needed regardless.

I agree with this only somewhat.

You can get around that with:

a) A virtual floppy drive emulator for those times where the mobo's utility can ONLY copy drivers or BIOS upgrades to floppies.
b) A bootable CD from a DR-DOS image made with UltraISO. I've flashed BIOSes with this before.
c) A Windows XP CD with your drivers slipstreamed.

All three of these do take a bit more effort, but if you have no access to a floppy drive or any floppy disks (or if your floppy disks are corrupt), it's worth it.

leecreek

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Hello all
Quick question on the same motherboard. Which raid controller would you use to make a Raid 0, the Intel or the Gigabyte, and why.

Thanks

Blood01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006

Just look at 1st post:
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL 4-4-4-15 / Platinum / Revision 2 / Kit OCZ2P800.R22GK

Thanks,
Dan

FLINK

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hi all
I've P35-DS3R and Seagate 320GB 7200.10
I've connected my hdd in pirple GB sata port and i've install drivers with floppy disk and afterthat i install XP and i think - it's allright
But now it isn't. And that's the problem.
I try to start S.M.A.R.T function, but it doesn't work !?!?!??!
Hdd programs didn't detect my hdd - they detect only that i have a one hdd.
I've download Seatools for Windows and i start it. But i didn't like the result :(
Short Drive And Long Drive Self test -FAIL :( :( :(
What would be if i change sata connector - i want to move from GB pirple to Intel Yellow connector. Should i reinstall XP ?

P.S. Why i see this allways in my taskbar. ??
untitledee5.jpg

P.S.2 Very sorry for me bad english :sarcastic:

Your drive is not detected by HDD programs because its not running in IDE mode its running in SCSI(in this case sata...windows just sees any non ide drive that needs a drivers as SCSI) mode. This is normal for the way you have the drive setup

I do not see any raid volumes in software.

Keep in mind failing the tests may be a direct result of the software being unable to read the S.M.A.R.T status....

If this concerns you you can try to move it to the Intel(Orange) ports. I am not sure what windows will do. but if you are not afraid to re-install and have all your files backed up elsewhere(better to be safe) then you can go for it.

Note: If you reinstall Windows you may need to call Microsoft if you are running an OEM copy of windows. this should not pose a problem.

Bottom line : Use the Intel ports first and keep the Gsata ones for DVD/CD's and external drives :)