Seagate 320GB SATA hard drive no longer recognized anywhere on my comp

Guy66

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I bought a Seagate 320 GB SATA internal hard drive and it worked fine for about 2-3 weeks, then one day my computer stopped seeing it. it doesn't show up anywhere on my computer, not in the device manager, disk management or the bios. I'm running Windows XP w/the sp2. Other than that, my computer runs completely fine. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanx.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

Shouldn't be using a jumper with SATA.

Open up your case and make sure all cables are connected. In my computer at least, the power and SATA cables have a tendency to get knocked out easier then IDE ones. If they are plugged in, and still no-go, put the drive in another computer... just to see if it works.

Unfortunately this is going to be almost certainly a dead drive if none of the above tips work.

Translucency

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
SATA drives often have jumpers to allow you to select SATA 1,5Gbps or 3,0Gbps operation (SATA/150 and SATA/300). Normally SATA/300 would be backwards-compatible. But in some combinations this does not work properly, and unless a 1,5Gbps jumper is set on the SATA drive the system would not recognise it.

This only applies to older systems with 1,5Gbps SATA ports while connecting a newer 3,0Gbps SATA harddrive.