PSU responsible for high system temps?

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Just how hot are PSU's supposed to get?

I have been trying to get my system temperatures down but have been failing miserably.

Yesterday my cordless mouse started playing up so I moved the reciever, which is sitting on top of the case, and noticed how hot the case was there.
I did some investigating and found that the air being exhaused from the PSU is super warm, while the air exhauset from the HSF and rear case fan is considerably cooler.

It seems the hottest thing in my system is my PSU.
My thoughts are that either -

1. PSU's run hot ayway
2. My PSU is about to burst into flame
3. Because my Mobo sits the PSU right by the CPU socket, the air drawn into the PSU is coming straight off the HSF (AC freezer 7 pro) and is therefore not effectively cooling the PSU.

System specs below

Plus use Hiper type R 580W PSU

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I don't know, but if the model is the one with holes, the air drawn by the 120mm fan may spread inside the case again through that holes...which is stupid...

In any case, saying it's hot without any numbers (inside case, cpu, inside psu, ambient temp...) won't help. psus run very hot when stressed

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
OK sorry,

CPU - a perfectly chilly 32 degrees at rest, hits 40 under load
System (motherboard sensor) apparently 45 degrees at rest hitting 50's underload
GPU around 50 at idle hitting 70 while gaming
RAM 36 degrees
HDD 34 degrees
Ambient temp around 25
PSU - don't know, feels freakin hot compared to anything else

And yes it is the silly hiper with the holes that looked really cool when I bought it and now just fills my case with stupid hot air.

(Temps as reported by speedfan, nvidia control panel and my clever little LCD on the front of my case.)

sailer

Splendid

I'd take a guess that the position of the PSU relative to the cpu/heatsinks isn't helping any. If the case does not have a top vent and its possible, you could try cutting a hole in the case and installing an exhaust fan to relieve some of the hot air. PSU's can run fairly hot, but they aren't supposed to be extremely hot.

In comparison, I just touched the case side of my Thermaltake 700wt psu and its warm to the touch, but that's all.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
try putting another fan on ur psu. Allow it to throw more air away from ur comp and out of ur case. Thats what i did and it seems to be working well.

Mondoman

Splendid

Your system temp seems way too high. A well-ventilated system should have internal/system temp no more than a few degrees higher than ambient at idle.

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Finally found the system temp probe.
For some reason MSI have placed it between the Ram slots.
With 4 DIMMs in place the air flow through the RAM is poor. I've case modded to put a fan in 2 adjacent 5.25 drive bays blowing towards the ram and brought the system temps down to the mid 30's.

Does anybody know if the active cooling you can get for corsair's dominator RAM works on standard RAM or only the dominator? (BTW - use corsair xms2)

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106093

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835704001

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007

Spot on, cheers.
Like the look of the XMS cooler. Nice.
Thanks again

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
to the person who said it is putting out near max load, i doubt it, since it runs a 8800gts 320mb overclocked, 4x1gb of ram, e4300@3.33@1.5v, 2x seagate 320gb hdds and a dvd burner easily :S

however, i did just touch the side of my TP 1200w and it is warm, not hot, but the air coming out is also quite warm... this is probably subjective because it is like 15oC in here, brrr!

I the same problem, the power supply seemed extremely hot (this was powering an OC'ed FX-60 and a 2900XT, so it was definately under load). I was concerned, so I took off the side panel and set a 8 inch diameter fan blowing on the internal components. Now everything, including the PSU, stays nice and chilly. Not sure exactly what caused the heatup, though.

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yep, think I got it sorted.
I think I may have had too many exhaust fans, so that the PSU intake was struggling to find any air to push through it.
In fact, I believe its possible to have so much negative pressure that the air has to be dragged in somewhere and can come in through your PSU. Therefore hot air gets in the system and the PSU doesn't cool properly.

Have switched to two intakes and one case exhaust, with the psu being the second exhaust.

System temps now seriously dropped. 29-30 degrees usually.