Please help me and my X1950XT AGP!

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Hi Guys,

I posted a week or so ago on here about deciding to upgrade my 7800gs to a X1950XT, which I've now done - and here start my problems!
The card boots up fine in 2d, running at the lower 500mhz it does for 2d, the temp gradually rises up to mind 50's c and then sits there. As soon as i give it 3d and i believe it ramps the mhz up to 648/675 *neeeeou..* power down almost straight away.
I'm wondering if it's one of two things? I know these cards run ridiculously hot and will cut off when the do get hot, and this is a used card and i know they have the problem of the cooler 'peeling off' due to its weight, but can it really be a thermal cut-out 3 seconds after CCC says the temp is 54c?
The other thing i'm wondering is I've read these things need 30 amps. I have a thermaltake TR500 psu which has the PCIE connector, which I assumed would be sufficient to power it. I'm not sure what the amps are for the PCIE connector, but the 12v's are 15 each, here's the spec anyway; http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/TR2power/w009394/w009394.asp
Does it sound possible that it's my powerpack cutting out because it can't handle the draw when it goes up to 3d? If so, and my PCIE power is simply too weasely to cope, would I be able to use the 2 molex to PCIE connector I got, connect one to each 12v rail and get the juice out of it that way?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
54c isn't too hot for that card.Your PSU is adequate however most newer high performance cards have an extra power connector since it can't draw enough thru the PCIE slot. Might be the problem if you don't have that connected.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I have the 6 pin PCI connector connected and the molex connector aswell. I have read that the molex just powers the TEC, so my question is really whether or not it's dying because the PCI connector from my PSU cannot supply enough ampage.

4745454b

Titan
I'm thinking you need a different PSU. If you follow this link, you'll see that you need 30A on your 12V rail. http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1950/radeonx1950pro/specs.html Next, using the link you provided, you'll notice that your power supply falls short. It doesn't say how much power your 12V rail can supply, but even if you add both rails together (which you shouldn't do as thats the max per rail, not the max of the rails together.) you'll only have 29A. (14A + 15A) I would get a different powersupply and confirm the problem still exists.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Ok thanks. I think I'll try hooking it up to both 12v rails and seeing if I can keep it at 500 mhz and then run some 3d for a while, just to satify myself it's not overheating or anything else, then I'll look for another PSU. Turning out to be a bit more expensive than I envisaged!

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
GFX cards have been known to go up to 110 degrees C and still work, so your well within the range. I think the issue may actually be your psu.