Multiple RDP Connections

June 29, 2005 12:17:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Presently, we have a Linksys router ahead of our Windows 2K3 Server and
the Internet. DHCP is handled by the server. Port 3389 is forward to the
server's IP address to allow RDP. Several XP users on the LAN need to
use RDP to access their machines. A tech article explained how to change
the listening port to a port other than 3389. I made the change and used
http://domain.dyndns.org:3390 to try to get to the machine, but I cannot
connect. (Port 3390 is forwarded to the static IP of that machine.) RDP
is enabled on the 3390 machine, and the user is permitted to dial-in
remotely.

I have been back over the tech article carefully. It says that the RDP
port has to be changed in the registry, which I did, and the rebooted
the machine. Still no connect. First, does 3389 have to be forwarded to
the server to permit remote administration? Second, do you have any idea
what I'm doing wrong in trying to access the second XP machine behind
the router?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:16:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Each IP port (3389, 3390....) needs to be forwarded to the correct PC's IP
address, within the linksys.

Therefore:

10.xxx.yyy.zzz:3389 forwared to the server @ 192.168.aaa.bbb:3389

then for each other PCs:

10.xxx.yyy.zzz:3390 ------> 192.168.aaa.ccc:3390
10.xxx.yyy.zzz:3391 ------> 192.168.aaa.ddd:3391

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Presently, we have a Linksys router ahead of our Windows 2K3 Server and
> the Internet. DHCP is handled by the server. Port 3389 is forward to the
> server's IP address to allow RDP. Several XP users on the LAN need to use
> RDP to access their machines. A tech article explained how to change the
> listening port to a port other than 3389. I made the change and used
> http://domain.dyndns.org:3390 to try to get to the machine, but I cannot
> connect. (Port 3390 is forwarded to the static IP of that machine.) RDP is
> enabled on the 3390 machine, and the user is permitted to dial-in
> remotely.
>
> I have been back over the tech article carefully. It says that the RDP
> port has to be changed in the registry, which I did, and the rebooted the
> machine. Still no connect. First, does 3389 have to be forwarded to the
> server to permit remote administration? Second, do you have any idea what
> I'm doing wrong in trying to access the second XP machine behind the
> router?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Greetings

Here are a couple of troubleshooting tips

1. Can you connect to the machines on the internatl network from the
internal network on port 3390? Remember, connect to the LOCAL IP using the
following method 192.168.1.51:3390 If you cannot, thats a starting point.
Check to see if you have added that PORT to the XP firewall. If you have SP2
on your XP box, you can try to connect to the service on the same machine to
which you are trying to conenct by using localhost:3390. This will tell you
if the service is responding to the new port assignment.
2. Can you connect to the machine using the external IP of your router? (use
http://www.whatismyip.com/) to find it. If you can, your dynamic DNS is not
working.

Hope this helps
Albatross Singh

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Presently, we have a Linksys router ahead of our Windows 2K3 Server and
> the Internet. DHCP is handled by the server. Port 3389 is forward to the
> server's IP address to allow RDP. Several XP users on the LAN need to use
> RDP to access their machines. A tech article explained how to change the
> listening port to a port other than 3389. I made the change and used
> http://domain.dyndns.org:3390 to try to get to the machine, but I cannot
> connect. (Port 3390 is forwarded to the static IP of that machine.) RDP is
> enabled on the 3390 machine, and the user is permitted to dial-in
> remotely.
>
> I have been back over the tech article carefully. It says that the RDP
> port has to be changed in the registry, which I did, and the rebooted the
> machine. Still no connect. First, does 3389 have to be forwarded to the
> server to permit remote administration? Second, do you have any idea what
> I'm doing wrong in trying to access the second XP machine behind the
> router?
June 29, 2005 7:56:42 PM

Albatross Singh wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Here are a couple of troubleshooting tips
>
> 1. Can you connect to the machines on the internatl network from the
> internal network on port 3390? Remember, connect to the LOCAL IP using the
> following method 192.168.1.51:3390 If you cannot, thats a starting point.
> Check to see if you have added that PORT to the XP firewall. If you have SP2
> on your XP box, you can try to connect to the service on the same machine to
> which you are trying to conenct by using localhost:3390. This will tell you
> if the service is responding to the new port assignment.

I can connect to that computer by logging into the server and going
through Remote Desktop, so the XP machine, including the firewall, is
properly configured.

> 2. Can you connect to the machine using the external IP of your router? (use
> http://www.whatismyip.com/) to find it. If you can, your dynamic DNS is not
> working.

Dynamic DNS is working or I would not be able to reach the server. The
problem is apparently related to the router since I can connect behind
the router. I'm using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3390 and
http://domain.dyndns.org:3390 in RDP to reach the computer, but it does
not connect. Any other thoughts?

> Hope this helps
> Albatross Singh
>

> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>Presently, we have a Linksys router ahead of our Windows 2K3 Server and
>>the Internet. DHCP is handled by the server. Port 3389 is forward to the
>>server's IP address to allow RDP. Several XP users on the LAN need to use
>>RDP to access their machines. A tech article explained how to change the
>>listening port to a port other than 3389. I made the change and used
>>http://domain.dyndns.org:3390 to try to get to the machine, but I cannot
>>connect. (Port 3390 is forwarded to the static IP of that machine.) RDP is
>>enabled on the 3390 machine, and the user is permitted to dial-in
>>remotely.
>>
>>I have been back over the tech article carefully. It says that the RDP
>>port has to be changed in the registry, which I did, and the rebooted the
>>machine. Still no connect. First, does 3389 have to be forwarded to the
>>server to permit remote administration? Second, do you have any idea what
>>I'm doing wrong in trying to access the second XP machine behind the
>>router?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:40:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Problem solved. Apparently a Windows Update turned the firewall back on.
Sheesh. Thanks.

!