Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

MY FIRST BUILD HELP PLZ(AMD 5600+, GFRC8800GTS)

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2007 7:20:28 AM

:hello:  Hi guys, this is my first build and although I can't think of any thing better for the price I bet you guys can:

MOBO: BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI nForce 570 SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8ghz
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
PSU: Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W
RAM: G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
HDD: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

I definately want a different motherboard but thats really the only component that I REALLY don't know how to shop for. I won't be using the SLI feature for dual graphics cards anytime soon so altough SLI capability could be handy I really don't think I'll need it. I already have a decent Soundblaster soundcard and a Geforce 6800 512mb so integrated audio and video is not a concern. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AND I WANT TO MENTION THAT I"M GLAD TO FINALLY PARTICIPATE IN THESE FORUMS. THANKS :D 

More about : build plz amd 5600 gfrc8800gts

July 19, 2007 8:10:11 AM

ASUS [#ffd400]makes good motherboards. or try Gigabyte motherboards

easy to read innit?
July 19, 2007 9:51:56 AM

Sorry about the font color, didn't realize how it looked against the white background. Anyways, I was hoping that I can get a more specific response because I have looked at different motherboards from ASUS and GIGABYTE on newegg and really can't tell which one fits the bill.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 19, 2007 11:19:25 AM

I have an MSI K9n SLI PLatinum, good board (nforce 570, socket AM2). works great. but I would recommend boards from Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI. Asus is probably the best. look for reviews on the boards.
July 19, 2007 12:32:04 PM

Ancalagon_uk said:
I have an MSI K9n SLI PLatinum, good board (nforce 570, socket AM2). works great. but I would recommend boards from Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI. Asus is probably the best. look for reviews on the boards.

I agree, Ive bought a few Biostar motherboards in my day and most have died rather fast, (within the year). And unless that Rosewill power supply is know to have super awesome reviews you would be better off buying a name brand (Antec, Thermaltake, etc...) that is less rated wattage(400-500). That power supply is the biggest flaw in your list at the moment. Fix that then worry about the mother board, and I would recommend a Gigabyte or Asus, or a MSI if it has goood reviews. sorry that I dont have time to look some examples up for you. But the newegg reviewers usually have good insight as to what is good and bad.
GL
July 19, 2007 12:53:26 PM

I like the Biostar board you have. I wouldn't change that. The PSU, however, needs to go. Are you in the US? ZipZoomFly has the Corsair HX PSUs for a good price. There is also the Zalman 600 watt, if quiet is your thing. If you are in the US, I will post some links.

Other then then the PSU, your system looks great!
July 19, 2007 1:24:41 PM

I have a corsair hx 520, it rocks.
July 19, 2007 2:06:37 PM

FSP makes some inexpensive PSUs that should be sufficient. I don't think Rosewill is on anyone's quality list.
As to mobos, I've used 3 low-end Biostar boards recently that have been trouble-free, although they were Intel. I'm going to be buying Gigabyte for my next build. Asus has a good reputation, but might be slipping. My current S939 Abit and another I installed are both a little quirky, so I've become leery of Abit. A coworker in the hardware business has had a lot of bad experience with MSI. Order from a good vendor like Newegg who will treat you right if you get a bad board.
July 19, 2007 2:41:52 PM

what do you think about the Ultra ULT31849 X-Finity 600W Power Supply ($75 at newegg) either that or the RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 RX-530SS ATX12V 530W Power Supply ($60 at newegg)???

I'm still not sure on the motherboard but I do like Biostar's T-series motherboards based on hours of research I think I'm gona settle with the BIOSTAR TF560 A2+ Socket AM2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
because it seems to be much more reliable and is a lot more spaced out which I suspect is good for after-market cooling later on when I start experimenting with overclocking.
July 19, 2007 2:53:42 PM

TSIMonster said:
I like the Biostar board you have. I wouldn't change that. The PSU, however, needs to go. Are you in the US? ZipZoomFly has the Corsair HX PSUs for a good price. There is also the Zalman 600 watt, if quiet is your thing. If you are in the US, I will post some links.

Other then then the PSU, your system looks great!

I appreciate the suggestion of the Corsair Hx models but money is real tight as a college student and I'm really set on a $75ish limit on a PSU

I really like the price on this PSU ($60) and it gets great reviews too:
RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 RX-530SS ATX12V 530W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 19, 2007 3:16:58 PM

Cut into your budget elsewhere. The PSU is arguably the most important component in your build. Go with the 5200+ and a slightly smaller HDD to increase your PSU budget.

If you must, this is the bare minimum I would go for that system. It is a quality FSP and has 30 12volt amps. This, however, leaves NO room for upgrades.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you cheap out on the PSU, don't come crying to us when your PC catches fire, or you keep popping voltage regulators, or your performance is lacking.

July 19, 2007 3:17:38 PM

Raidmax and Rosewill. All bad choices. Drop the 5600+ and go for a 4800+, then you'll have enough for a decent PSU, those POS won't power the GTS properly.
July 19, 2007 3:18:42 PM

Also, unless you want to set aside some more money for a PSU, don't even think about overclocking.

The Corsair HX520 is only $95 shipped (MIR) which isn't much more to have peace of mind and reliability. You can step up to the HX620 for $126 shipped (MIR) http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Good luck, and chose wisely.
July 19, 2007 3:24:59 PM

The original power supply you have is actually a very good one. Rosewill makes very good and reliable power supplys. You can upgrade it though to the 600 watt version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That is the power supply I bought for my system and it runs flawlessly. Puts out 19amps on both the 12 volt rails for 38 amps. Wich is very good if you ever plan on going SLI. Since you arent planning that for awhile though that wont really matter.
July 19, 2007 3:33:29 PM

HAHAHAHA, Rosewill makes very good and reliable PSUs?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=149043
http://www.hardforum. com/showthread.php?t=974240

I could post more, but, the Rosewill RP5002 (the one you originally chose) actually looks pretty good. Here is a review on it from a trustworthy site:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=48&page_...

"The GOOD:

* Super performer, superior, no less, to PSU's costing twice as much.
* Low cost...gotta love it!
* Adequate cable length for most cases.

The BAD:

* Two SATA connectors? What!?
* Not fully sleeved...sleeve it and charge $10 more, make the people happy!
* Fuhjyyu caps. This baby needs to be used in a well ventilated case

The MEDIOCRE:

* Lack of active PFC
* Not the most efficient unit on the market
* No manual and no real packing materials."
July 19, 2007 4:02:24 PM

marike said:
The original power supply you have is actually a very good one. Rosewill makes very good and reliable power supplys. You can upgrade it though to the 600 watt version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That is the power supply I bought for my system and it runs flawlessly. Puts out 19amps on both the 12 volt rails for 38 amps. Wich is very good if you ever plan on going SLI. Since you arent planning that for awhile though that wont really matter.

You're confusing the guy and he'll end up making a horrible mistake, please stop talking so much crap. Rosewill is probably figuring in the top 15 shitty PSU makers along with the likes of Raidmax and Xion. Don't ever buy a Rosewill PSU, unless you're in the market for an unstable, cheap, weak unit that will fry your PC on the first blackout.

I wouldn't trust a Rosewill PSU to power a light bulb, let alone a computer.
July 19, 2007 4:05:49 PM

What TSIMONSTER said.

RoseWill is not known for good PSUs, but they do not make their own.
If getting a RoseWill, but sure to get the RPxxx-V2 models.
They come from the manufacturer that was reviewed in that link.

Still not a great PSU, but in that price range it works.
July 19, 2007 5:06:59 PM

I meant marike, he claimed that Rosewill PSUs were, and i quote, "very good and reliable power supplys." This is pure crap no matter where you look at it. And I never recommend something I wouldn't buy for myself in the first place.
July 19, 2007 5:20:04 PM

emp said:
I meant marike, he claimed that Rosewill PSUs were, and i quote, "very good and reliable power supplys." This is pure crap no matter where you look at it. And I never recommend something I wouldn't buy for myself in the first place.

Sorry, I misread your post. I am editing my reply now. Still stands though, that Rosewill PSU gets the stamp of approval from many reviewers. Maybe its a diamond in the rough?
July 19, 2007 5:35:36 PM

Well I'm not going to test it to find out by myself and not going to suggest it to anyone else to test either. If anyone really wants to find out, just pick up one and try, but I wouldn't plug my GTS or any other GTS to a Rosewill.
July 19, 2007 6:14:22 PM

funny how you all talk bad about rosewill power supplys yet none of you have ever owned one. I have the rp600 v2 and it runs wonderfully. Never has any power problems fueling my 8800gtx or my Amd 6000+. Not to mention out of all the power supplys I've read reviews on the rosewill has the highest ratings especially from the people who own them. Untill you own one then dont talk crap about them.
July 19, 2007 6:18:53 PM

Sorry but I prefer to use quality brands, not rosewills. read #3 in my sig, that's why I hate them.
July 19, 2007 6:26:42 PM

ohh so just because you refuse to use it that makes it a bad power supply. that must be why it has no problems powering my rig wich is a near top of the line system.
July 19, 2007 7:13:44 PM

I'm going to laugh when your "so great" Rosewill dies and kills the GTX, and you end up asking on another thread, "Why is my GTX not working??"
July 19, 2007 11:21:31 PM

OK it was either going to be the FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-PN ATX2.2 500Watts Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or the Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL ATX 12V (V2.01) 600W Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and I know that the Rosewill outperforms everything in its class including the FSP PSU I mentioned above and it has a substantial amount of good reviews and minimal bad reviews. I have took in to account that the influx of good reviews is most likely due to price and less due to the actual quality of the unit. Nevertheless, with the help of Marike and Zenmaster I have decided that Rosewills new V2 is as reliable as any other reputable PSU in the price range if not more reliable and that is my final decision unless someone finds an extraordinary deal.
July 20, 2007 12:59:36 AM

Ultra / X-Connect V-Series ( XVS) / 600-Watt $69.99 Tigerdirect
MSI K9N4 Ultra-F NVIDIA $69.99 Tigerdirect
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400 $88.98 Newegg
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache $149.00 Mwave.com
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS / 320MB $259.00 Newegg
July 20, 2007 2:14:59 AM

ringtone said:
Ultra / X-Connect V-Series ( XVS) / 600-Watt $69.99 Tigerdirect
MSI K9N4 Ultra-F NVIDIA $69.99 Tigerdirect
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400 $88.98 Newegg
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache $149.00 Mwave.com
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS / 320MB $259.00 Newegg

WOW YOU GET #1 post of the DAY! That MSI MOBO is EXACTLY WHAT I NEED and I've been eyeballing that ULTRA PSU for quite some time I just needed a second opinion THANK YOU :D 
July 20, 2007 2:19:42 AM

actually I'm sticking with the Biostar MOBO but still love the Ultra XVS PSU
July 20, 2007 3:03:36 AM

While I prefer to spend a little extra on the PSU myself (PSU failures are the worst kind... they typically take the rest of the system too) I would go with the Ultra over the Rosewill. Typically, from what I have read and experienced... the #1 problem with ultra power supplies are their mediocre efficiency and power factor correction. I would use the XVS above on a budget build.