4gb of ram - Should i just upgrade to Windows XP 64bit

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have installed 4gb of Ram in my machine about 4 months ago but in the whole time never got windows to aknollage more than 2.75gb of ram. I have tried the 3GB/switch but it just causes all kinds of instability in my machine. -BSOD errors... To this date, no one has offered me a solution that works.

So should i just buy windows XP 64bit in order to use all my RAM? I am doing a lot of After effects animation and Adobe photoshop and Premiere work that needs a lot of RAM. -Would like to be able to run all these apps at the same time.

or should i buy windows vista 64bit? or i could just give up using a computer all together and sign myself into a mental institution? any advice.

Specs:
MB:Tyan K8WE
RAM: Corsar ECC 4x512gb + 2x1gb.
GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX560
Audigy 2 ZS.
Blackmagic Intensity

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I'm currently running vista 64 on my pc w/4gb of RAM and whilst there are still a few bugs all in all I have it running quite nicely now.

I know there are still a lot of people who are anti Vista and whilst I agree it is not the greatest I still do like it and enjoy the fact that I am futureproofed to an extent (eg dx10)

Cheers
Lazarus