Questions before Build

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hi

I have never built my own machine before but i am going to for my next one, I want to build a gaming machine so i've been waiting for DX10 cards to come out from ATI i am also waiting for AMDs new breed of processors to come out.

So my question is should i continue to wait for AMD or go with Intel

I have always liked AMD and ATI so thats way i have been waiting for these to come out

cheers

Raj

lfranklin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I to like AMD and will continue to cheer on the underdog but Intel has done a great job with there Core 2 Duos. My current system now is an e6600 but my two previous setups were AMD. So I see no shame giving credit where credit is due. Go ahead and go with Intel. I am sure we will be running another AMD system in the future.

As far as DX10 cards...if your budget allows you to get a 8800 card, there is no problem then. If not, I would honestly wait for more DX10 games to come out and more DX10 cards to come out suitable to play them. Again, there is nothing wrong going with any 8800 card.

"sigh" I conceed as well and agree with lfranklin. I have been a loyal AMD fan for many years, but waiting on AMD to release something that will best Intel and Nvidia may be a long wait. Their track record over the past year has been pretty disappointing.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you have the budget and need the machine now go with Intel, you can still get an ATI video card it that's what you want. Once you build your first machine you'll be looking for reasons, excuses, to build your next and when AMD finally gets it out there and it's been shown to be worth the money, you have your reason to build again :)

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
thanks for the replies people last question i want to go 64bit but i am unsure whether the time is right eg the stability of drivers