Having a problem getting 2 CD drives to work

mr_curious

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
On my Dell Dimension 4300 running XP SP2, I added a DVD drive to the existing CD drive, and I can't find the jumper settings to get the machine to recognize both.

Both drives are on the same cable. I tried both with CS (cable select) jumpered, and had a problem--at this moment I don't recall exactly what it was, perhaps neither drive was recognized. I've tried having the DVD drive jumpered as MA[ster] and the CD as SL[ave], but that didn't work. Either drive works properly by itself.

What am I doing wrong????

mr_curious

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Update: I just found vinnyguy22's comment on this and will try it. Tho when I navigated to the appropriate entry in the Registry I found only an entry for UPPER filter and not LOWER FILTER.

mr_curious

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I assume your comment is intended to disparage Dell. That's OK, I have no special investment in the company or in this computer (and I got this machine used for $100).

However, it seems to me that this problem is not limited to Dell, and if that's right, then I don't understand the point of your comment.

IAC, I'm experimenting with it. I'm a strong believer in the benefits of experimenting with one's computer and solving one's own problems, as a way of learning, gaining knowledge and experience, etc.

sailer

Splendid

You're right, this problem is not limited to Dell. I have it on an old Alienware that that I've updated extensively. In my case, I replaced the old CD drive with a new DVD drive and then the secondary CD drive wouldn't work. More specifically, if the second one is hooked up, the machine won't start. Like you, I've been experimenting to get it to work, but I'm not sure if 7 year old hardware is compatible with modern hardware.

As for the Dell part, Dell, like a few other companies, severely limits what can be altered in the BIOS. Sometimes the only way to get around it is to replace the motherboard, therefore getting an all new BIOS to work with. Since you have only $100 tied up in this machine, even if it ends up not working as well as you desire, you aren't out a lot of money and you might be able to use some of the hardware when building a new machine. Good luck with it all. Wish I had a specific answer to the problem, but I'm wrestling with something similar myself.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
the master should be at the END of the cable, and the slave at the middle connector of the cable.
the other way around works sometimes but not allways..

if that doesn't work try setting the master (at the end of the cable) and the other one as cable selected. did the trick ones for me on an old rig.

and ,unfortunately, occasionally some brands simply don't work together nomatter what you try...........

good luck!

mr_curious

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
You know, that's fascinating! I'll try it; I think at this moment the Slave is at the end.

HOWEVER, from an electrical POV, on a "straight through" cable, with none of the lines crossed over (as used to be done, I think, with floppies?), it seems to me that there's no difference whether where the slave drive is--all the signals would in effect travel in parallel, wouldn't they?

mr_curious

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
This is a reply to SAILER.

The things you said about BIOS and so on, are excellent reasons to play around with this stuff, assuming one has the time, interest, skill, etc: often, you learn some useful stuff that you can use at a later date; atvl you gain confidence and perhaps some new skills, when you experiment. Fortunately, for me, I have strong interest in this stuff, I'm not afraid of it, and I have at least *some* sill at it.