Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia control panel not working.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2007 11:13:48 PM

I just replaced my 7800GTX with an 8800GTS, and have tried the 158.22 and 162.18 drivers.

When I have ntune installed, the control panel opens but it only shows the performance and stability groups, and does not show the manage 3D settings or TV and Video groups.

When ntune is not installed, the control panel does not open at all.

I used driver cleaner to remove my old drivers, and tried two different drivers and it still doesn't work.

The NVidia settings icon appears in the taskbar, and can be used to change some basic settings, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly either. For example, it doesn't show all of the antialiasing options.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?
July 20, 2007 1:02:37 AM

I have the same problem :( 
Actually when i try to open the nv cntrl panel it hardlocks my computer, Have too press the reset
button on my computer. Even cntrl-alt-delete doesnt work :pfff: 

So i just use (ati-tool)
July 20, 2007 2:15:15 AM

I uninstalled the drivers again and installed using the cd that came with the card. (it installed 158.22)

Now I can open the nv control panel, but it is completely blank.

When I install off of the cd, it adds some extra tabs to the Windows display properties. They are for information, adjusting the clock speed of the card and a few other things, but there are no 3D settings. Since it adds tabs here does it not work with nv control panel?

It also installed some kind of Dynamic Overclocking Technology, which my antimalware software says is a virus.

Related resources
July 20, 2007 2:39:27 AM

Hmm I wonder if your anti Malware isnt stopping the control panel opening correctly too.

Can you disable it (breifly) then try to open the control panel ?
July 20, 2007 3:19:25 AM

There was a post on nV forums that suggested that the installer does not register certain DLLs. I don't have time to find the link right now, and although I have the same problem, it didn't bother me enough yet to try out the suggested solution. But if you find it and try it, please do let us know.
July 20, 2007 3:40:17 PM

chungdokwan said:
Hmm I wonder if your anti Malware isnt stopping the control panel opening correctly too.

Can you disable it (breifly) then try to open the control panel ?

I thought this might be the problem too. Before I installed last time, I turned off my antivirus, antimalware, and all other background programs. After the reboot, I shut them all down again, and tried to open the control panel.

It still doesn't work.
July 20, 2007 4:12:38 PM

ddwaldon said:
I have the same problem :( 
Actually when i try to open the nv cntrl panel it hardlocks my computer, Have too press the reset
button on my computer. Even cntrl-alt-delete doesnt work :pfff: 

So i just use (ati-tool)

This is a problem I have on my computer as well since installing a 8800 GTS. Ntune, etc all result in hard lockups. I uninstalled all of it and now use RivaTuner. In the Nvidia release notes, there are a bunch of problems listed with the 8800 series cards which Nvidia has yet to address. The 7800 GTX which I used to have didn't cause any problems, so I think its something to do with the 8800 series in particular

I have similar problems with the control panel that nrn9520 has. If the control panel does open without locking the computer, the adjustment lines and 3D settings are grayed out, stating that i need to install Ntune, etc. But if I do that, then its back to hard lockups. Nvidia really needs to fix this.
July 23, 2007 12:01:08 AM

I reinstalled Windows, installed the 162.18 drivers, and now the NV Control Panel works perfectly.

Without Ntune, it doesn't allow temperature monitoring, but all of the other settings work fine. I might install Ntune later, but I don't think I really need it.
a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2007 1:39:35 AM

To anyone with parts missing make sure you go under adavaced view and check all the boxes you want.

Mine had it all right off the bat....but crashes with some game profiles. if i select COH(city of heroes. the cp crashes every time...so i cant change settings. but the in game settings are ok)
November 22, 2007 12:12:19 AM

I have the same issue.

The control panel will not load at all, but when i install ntune, it will load but only with teh ntune options. Nothing else. Only happens on XP SP2, not on Vista 32bit. I have a dual boot setup and so it seems it may be only an XP issue. I hate it though, I would liek to be able to adjust certain things and not have to reinstall the whole operating system. WHy is there always something that just has to ruin an experience? DOn't answer that. It a little bit linked to "what is the meaning of life?" lol
November 22, 2007 4:18:43 AM

I saw you on a different thread looking for an answer. I struggled some more with my Nvidia cards, seeing that both my and my son's computers use them. I finally have decided that the problem is with Nvidia. Whether its specifically the drivers or a problem in the cards themselves which they haven't fixed, I don't know. I have noted that both my son and I have AMD K8 CPUs and the Nvidia release notes say that there are specific problems with AMD K8 CPUs. For that reason, I'm hoping that ATI comes out with a very good card when I upgrade, as I'm getting tired of the Nvidia battle. Never had these problems with my old X1900 XTX card.

Yeah right, "What is the meaning of life?" if I ever find out, I'll write a book and make a lot of money. That question is right up there with trying to understand a woman, which can't be done.
November 28, 2007 3:29:02 PM

I have the same issue with my 7800GT and pretty much every driver since I got it in 2006. I use Speedfan to monitor my temps. If I were going to overclock, I'd use Rivatuner and not nTune.
!