Extreme PC HD 2900XT

mkhebcan

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Has anyone been to the Extreme PC website. I was thinking of having them build my next system.They told me that they have an Extreme PC Exclusive SI Diamond Radeon HD2900XT that beats the 880GTX. Their card is 825 MHz core / 1 GB 2150 MHz DDR4. Is this card better or not
Thanks for your input

Umm, all it sounds like is a slightly OC'ed 1GB 2900XT. It probably will beat an un-OC'ed 8800GTX in some benches (especially those without AA), but it sounds like a ripoff to me. Are they charging outrageous prices for it? If you want the best DX9 performance right now, I think the 8800GTX still holds the crown. If it is priced less than a GTX, go for it. 2900XTs are great cards (I have the un-OC'ed 512MB version), but they are not designed for today's AA (at least the current drivers don't implement it as well as the 8800GTX).

NVidia will probably wait until ATi is ready to release their next line. That way NVidia can crush it into the ground, even though competition is good for everyone. NV has no reason to release a new product until ATi releases something the out performs NV's best. The HD2900XT doesn't do it at the high-end and the 2600 and 2400 certainly don't do it at the low to medium range.

ATi's next card I heard was slated for release around X-mas/ new years, so expect an NV offering around the same time, not before it IMO.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Apparently the Diamond 1 GB DDR4 2900XT is on newegg as well for $495 at stock speed. You would save $79 OCing it yourself.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Actually about the lacking AA the latest Catalyst Control Center Avivo features
12X and 24X Anti-Aliasing support for the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT and ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series
You just have to upgrade to version 7.7 :)

Actually that just adds a methods that's been anticipated for a while (edge detect) it should clean up the blurriness versus the tent formats, but it likely won't be a huge performance boost.

They have improved the efficiency of their AA with subsequent drivers, but I'd still say high res high AA the GTX will win period so the reseller seems to be overly optimistic. But for the prices, they're about in line with what I'd expect, and it just depends on personal perceptions of their values and if they're worth the premiums.

Yeah, I have 7.7 with the new edge detect AA (I am using the 4x => 12x edge detect right now), but I haven't tried it in a graphics intensive game yet. After I get my new Power Supply (I think I don't quite have the power for it to run perfectly) I will try it in Oblivion and see what happens.