As many predicticted, the market is shifting towards mobile

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32952/118/

According to Intels 2nd quarter report today, 40% of Q207s shipments were mobile, accounting for 37.9% of its total CPU/chipset sales, up 4.3% from Q206, while desktop and server sales dropped 4.3 % to 53.5 % for the same time frame. Interestingly, while the percentage of desktop/servers products shipped has dropped, profit in that arena has increased. Given the decreasing ASPs for DT/server, the only explanation is that that the DT market has continued to expand with Intel shipping an increased number of skus, but the mobile market has expanded at a much faster rate than the DT/server markets, which is in line with what we've been seeing. Addtionally, profitablity in mobile was much higher than DT/server.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
its all those damned kids begging their parents for new computers lol : P

desktops also tend to last longer i think, and so people upgrade less etc.. and they also feel that they dont really need to upgrade.. regular consumers who dont really know anything about computers usually upgrade every 6+ years i would think (im pulling that number right out of my ass but that seems reasonable.. im just taking into account the people i know and am generalizing lol...)

so those numbers you mentioned make sense : P

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
About a year ago or so I wondered why my "xtreme" (i used that name for 5 years - its over used now) desktops where not selling?

Well - after i did some research on all the competition i found you could get a killer dell gaming laptop for around $2000 or under.

The trend will only move closer towards laptops with low energy dual core and discrete gpu's and killer screens!

The name is "desk top replacement" with cpu technology moving 4-8 times faster then gaming tech - could the desktop be in danger of extinction?

A killer Dell gaming Laptop? My god, you can make about 6 oxymorons with that one short sentence.
The words "killer" "Dell" "Gaming" and "Laptop" just do not fit together in anyway, shape or form that I can figure out.

H o...lee...****. The world is coming to an end. Charlie Demerjian made a piece that was well-thought-out and well-written. And there was not one piece of speculation, rumor, or conjecture in it at all.

And he *is* right, too. Laptops were originally designed to be low-power, portable computers used in places where taking or using a desktop would be impractical or impossible. The current crop of desk-bound laptops befuddles me as they are exactly what Charlie said: more expensive, less capable, and less repairable/upgradeable than a desktop. I had one of those 9-pound beasts for the last 5 years and it is *not* the way to go. It sucked as a laptop as it was rather large (15.7" 4:3 screen- this was in 2002) and heavy to be used that way. It also stank as a desktop as the keyboard can't hold a candle to a Model M and a single small screen stinks for desktop use. However, it could get about 3 hours on a battery charge as it was made well before the gaming laptops came out and didn't have much of a GPU (ATi RV250LF/M9000 64 MB.)

So when it came time to replace the laptop, I decided to get a desktop to do my real work on and keep the laptop to use as a laptop- for taking notes, etc. That setup worked very well as even an old laptop has more than enough power to do that. That old laptop died after 5 years of service and I ordered an actual laptop to replace it- weight under 5 pounds, 1.06 GHz ULV processor, 12.1" screen. I highly recommend that people that want to look at buying a high-end laptop seriously consider buying an inexpensive and small laptop and a decent desktop. You'll spend no more than you would on a high-end laptop but you'll be *much* happier. I sure am!!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I have to agree. Ive always disliked laptops...expensive, difficult~impossible to upggrade, low perfromance, but acouple ofyears ago I got sick of looking to bum time on others comuteres when I was travelling so I bought one...a great deal at the time, or so I thought. An AMD DT chip, 17 inch widescreen, heats the house nicely in winter, etc...you get the picture. After lugging that avil around airports, I saw how not-great that deal was. Now I just want to get rid of it and get a nice small, light laptop for travel. Those 'uber' laptops belong in a special catagory....craptops... only slightly more usefull than teats on a boar WRT mobility.

I dont foresee super laptops replacing DT..but merging with them to become smaller inexpensive, easily upgradable DTs, while the true laptops continue to do and improve upon what they do best...be conviently mobile. Just my off the wall guess.