Sign in with
Your question

New NON-GAMING Computer Build

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2007 2:39:28 PM

Hello all, Like the title states I am trying to build myself a new computer that will never be used for games. I currently have a geforce MX420 and thats handles almost everything i do. It will mainly be used for video editing/encoding/dvd burning and a bunch of other basic stuff. This computer will also have a high-def tv tuner hooked up to it for watching tv. Budget is depending on dual core or quad core. If i get a dual core E6420 I would overclock it to at least E6600 speeds in the beginning. If i go the quad core route i would get the Q6600 and leave it at that until it starts to feel slow. (Which could be never to me)This is a basic list i put together minus the CPU. I'm still debating. I am wide open to comments or changes. Thanks a lot for all the help :) 

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

$36.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$49.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$67.99

Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

$169.99

SAPPHIRE 100208L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

$129.99

Thermaltake Purepower RX W0143RU ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply OR Antec Neo 550W (Same Price)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

$109.99

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

$40.00 Mail-in Rebate
$125.99

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$129.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

$34.99

Subtotal: $855.91

More about : gaming computer build

July 19, 2007 3:31:45 PM

Computers are used for things other than gaming? :p 
July 19, 2007 3:33:55 PM

I like the build.

The HDD seems a tad small for video work, but adding a new HDD in the future is simple enough.
Related resources
July 19, 2007 4:04:25 PM

Thanks for the info on the CPU Cooler. I know the Atric Cooler always got great reviews and did its job well for the price. Are there any other coolers out there for about $35 that do the job well for a moderate over clock?

Also do you all think the quad core Q6600 is worth it at $266? I do do some video editing and this computer is probably going to last me at least 5 years, probably more. Should I just get the quad core now for the long term?
July 19, 2007 5:05:32 PM

Although it's just a budget heatsink, I use a Scythe Katana 2 on my system... paid $30 for it from Newegg, and have overclocked my Athlon X2 3600+ from 1.9 to 2.5 stable... so it should meet your neeeds just fine.

For video work, I would say that the Q6600 would be a no-brainer. Even a heavily overclocked Core 2 Duo will have to strain to catch a stock Q6600 in video tasks (as they seem to be, with server and professional 3D rendering programs, the best suited for a quad-core CPU to stretch its legs), and the price is too good to pass up.

Also, unless your TV tuner isn't able to process everything by itself, you intend to watch HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content on your system, or DX10 is really a selling point to you on the Radeon, I'd probably recommend something more along the lines of a GeForce 7600GT. It's a relatively good card, and, seeing on Newegg that some sell for under $80 after rebate, might be an avenue worth pursuing.
July 19, 2007 6:03:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that Cooler you mentioned.

I think I may just go ahead and get the quad core. I looked at a couple of the CPU Charts here at Toms and it really does help in a lot of the tasks that are important to me. At hopefully it will last longer in terms of still being fast as the years go by.

A for the video card I know DX10 is not needed now and the 2600XT is looked down upon for gaming but seeing as this is a 5 Year plus computer I might be nice to have. As the newer drivers start to come out it might have some nice advantages over some of the older cards.

Also can anyone recommend a good quality High-def/Digital TV Tuner. I have an older one and the picture quality is lacking. Whats a good one?
July 19, 2007 6:17:48 PM

I use an ATI TV Wonder 650 PRO... it's a great card. They're hard to find anymore, but Sapphire still sells a Theater 650 PRO-based tuner card (sells for $65 plus shipping on Newegg), although some people have mentioned that it doesn't have tuner software with it, just the drivers... but if you have an older tuner, you should be able to use that software with it (or get some program like BeyondTV, which I highly recommend).
July 19, 2007 7:55:26 PM

look in to the ATI all in wonder cards they're pretty good tuners, and the tv wonder series is also good
July 19, 2007 9:11:42 PM

The All-in-Wonder cards aren't particularly good anymore... the GPU end is downright pitiful, and the TV tuner is an outdated model (none of them have digital support, much less HDTV). ATI discontinued them a while ago, and what ones are still available aren't worth the time and money to pursue.
July 19, 2007 10:51:37 PM

So there arent any real good HDTV tuners out there at the moment. I guess I'll just check around on the internet and see if i can find some good reviews.

Also while i'm here which Is the best PSU for my build in the $100 price range. I found the two mentioned in my first post and both seem to be very good with plenty of Watts and Amps. Should I consider anything else other than those two?

Thanks
July 19, 2007 11:52:49 PM

porsche6714 said:
So there arent any real good HDTV tuners out there at the moment. I guess I'll just check around on the internet and see if i can find some good reviews.

Also while i'm here which Is the best PSU for my build in the $100 price range. I found the two mentioned in my first post and both seem to be very good with plenty of Watts and Amps. Should I consider anything else other than those two?

Thanks

For the HDTV tuner, this website is absolutely fantastic and compares all modern HDTV tuners available: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/ I'm personally using a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and it works great with Vista and it pulls all my OTA stations perfectly with a little antenna on the desktop. Another top pick is the Avermedia M780 (aka Combo PCIe). I don't have experience with that one, but all reviews are good.

For a PSU, pick any of the offerings from a reputable brand like FSP, Enermax, Seasonic, Corsair, etc. There's a PSU sticky somewhere on here with a recommended PSU list.
July 20, 2007 12:43:18 AM

I second was rwp says. I have the same tuner as he does and it works flawlessly with WMC. Windoes media center is so much better than the sh!tty software ATI calls an interface. With WMC you dont have to manually update the tv listings like with the ati crap. I guess what i'm saying is not to use ATI's software and just stick with WMC as it is a terrific and functional interface.
July 20, 2007 12:50:29 AM

Thanks for the list of PSU's. I'll be sure to pick one off of there. And also thanks for the TV tuner site. It is packed with information. The HVR-1600 looks like a good choice.
July 20, 2007 1:30:30 AM

I just went to Microcenter and the guy recommended an HVR-1600 as well. He said he owned one and it works great
July 21, 2007 2:44:24 AM

Hello again, I was looking around today at LCD monitors and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on Acers monitors. Especially this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The reviews all seem good but i'm not sure is acer is considered to be quality like a samsung monitor or something along those lines.

Its hard to pass up at that price just wanted to make sure it was a decent quality brand first. Thanks a lot
July 23, 2007 1:02:11 AM

porsche6714 said:
anyone??

Hi, you should go with Acer AL2051W. It's a true gem at $199, very rare 8-bit model with 176 degrees both horizontal and vertical viewing angles. You won't find anything like it for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck.
July 23, 2007 1:03:14 AM

Acer makes a pretty laptop monitor, that's for sure...and I've usually heard that their laptops are less trouble-ridden than comparable Dell's, but that's from non-techs.

Oh, and that hard drive is awesome...I'm running one as my windows drive on a P4 system, and it halved start times by itself. Couple it with a nice processor, and it'll fly.

Just, be sure to compliment it with some more storage.
July 23, 2007 4:02:25 PM

Thanks for the replys

So whats the difference between the monitor you posted and the one i posted. Both have almost the exact same specs except pne has a fancy stand. Is it worth the extra money?
July 23, 2007 4:08:55 PM

The panels are totally different. The one I suggested has 176 degree viewing angles which are very important, the one you listed has 160. Picture quality is also higher, similar looks, totally different monitors.
July 24, 2007 9:51:22 PM

Thanks a lot. I think i'll pick that one up. Its hard to beat for the price. Now i just got to wait for some stores to get the Q6600's in at around the $266 mark.
!