Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2007 3:56:46 AM

Hi, below is my setup:

cpu: c2d e6320
case : Antec PerformanceOne 180
mb: DFI Infinity P965S
memory: Patriot eXtreme Performance 2x1GB
gpu : SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

My BIOS shows an idle temperature range of 40-45, speedfan in Windows XP shows a similar idle temperature (38-42). Based on what I've read so far, these seem fine. I'm using the stock HSF that came with the cpu.

However, as soon as I start Orthos (blended CPU+MEM) test, speedfan shows both cores maxed out (expected) and my temperature reading quickly soars to the mid 60s, where it remains during the whole test, occasionally touching 68/69. Is this considered normal for running stress tests on the CPU? I'm not doing any overclocking (yet) and my CPU fan is set to auto (full power threshold set at 50C). I also tried setting the CPU fan to manual 100% power and it doesn't make a difference.

If this is not normal, then is my HSF the likely culprit? But then why is my idling temperature fine?

I do plan to overclock once I get things running smoothly. I guess this bodes badly for my chances? If I should switch to a better HSF, any recommendations? Any other ideas on what I can do to lower the CPU temp. during high load?

thanks a bunch...
July 18, 2007 4:27:55 AM

Double check the HSF's placement. Intel stock HSFs are notorious for being a pain the a$$ putting them on. On the systems I helped build, we waited for the very disturbing "crack, pop" of the pin to complete it's journey to secure the HSF. Re-check the way the HSF is sitting, and retest CPU.

If the stock HSF is on correctly, but still climbs in temp, then I would suggest looking at a 3rd party HSF (and some good thermal paste), and trying that out.

I personally haven't ran any stress tests on the Intel stock HSF, so I don't really know if that's a normal temp reading.
!