Jogita

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hey I was recently looking to upgrade my old Pentium 4 450 processor, and I've come to the Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad processor. I would really like to buy it, but can I know for sure it will work on my old motherboard?

The Socket Type of the motherboard's CPU is LGA 775/Socket T, which this processor is also LGA 775/Socket T

The motherboard is about 8 years old and was bought with the Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop Computer.

Will this processor work with my motherboard, or will I have to buy a new one?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

better to not buy it

unless there is a bios update for the motherboard to add support.

Jogita

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

It's been 8 years since I got the motherboard and I haven't updated it once, so I'm assuming they aren't going to make updates anytime soon.

I think I will just buy a new motherboard to avoid hassle. Thanks for the answer.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I agree. A new board and CPU is the best way to go.

KidBuu

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
You know, thats tooo old a mobo. Its better if you get atleast new mobo.
even if that mobo can handle the core 2 quad, 8 years is a long time for something to go wrong. It might not hold the pressure/load or something. You are upgrading from 1 core to 4 cores with more power and power supply, i wonder that will fry your mobo or not. better get a new one, so you can even get a good sli card or sound card or w/e else you want in future.