Sign in with
Your question

680i SLi or P35?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2007 4:23:56 PM

I'm planning on buying the E6750 and Micron D9-based DDR2-800 Dual-Channel RAM.

Then I plan to overclock my RAM to 533Mhz (1066 effective) and FSB to 533Mhz (2133Mhz effective).
This coupled with the 8x multiplier on the E6750 will give me an end result of 4.26Ghz, made possible by the new G0 stepping only on E6X50 CPUs.

Now, my question is, which chipset-based motherboard should I buy - P35 or 680i SLi?

I'm thinking that 680i SLi is the better choice because DDR3 is far too expensive and SLi is important to me, but will 680i SLi support Yorksfield? Because if not, then I'll have to go with P35, as I'll want to upgrade to Yorksfield when it comes out. And also, will I be able to run the FSB and RAM at 533 on the 680i SLi?

Thank You.

More about : 680i sli p35

July 23, 2007 4:50:22 PM

If you don't need SLI, p35 is supposed to be much better for OCing from what I've seen on OC forums.

Many of the p35 boards support DDR2 or DDR3. Both ASUS and Gigabyte has mobos that have both support for DDR2 and DDR3. Those sound like a best bet for you.

If you need SLI and can wait, x38 will most likely support it. I couldn't imagine it not having SLI support.
July 23, 2007 4:51:59 PM

X38 is an Intel chipset. Up until now only nVidia chipsets support SLi.
X38 may support CrossFire, though. And I don't want CrossFire.
Related resources
July 23, 2007 5:35:47 PM

Track said:
, will I be able to run the FSB and RAM at 533 on the 680i SLi?

Thank You.

I have the Evga 680iSLI with current E6400 on 1600FSB, that is 8x 450FSB (3.6Ghz) . I have not OC'ed the board beyond 475FSB because the chip can't handle it but it will boot and run for awhile at 466FSB. I have just updated my bios to "officially" support 1333FSB and added "features" for Quad core CPU's, whatever that means, I don't have one yet and they don't explain.

I have read where people have problems going over 500Mhz on the 680iSLI but you have to take that with a grain of salt since you have to consider Mem and Chips can give out before anything else. If you get one now you are in better shape because there is a newer revision of the Evga 680i (rev A) which is supposed to be more OC'able for quad cores and the latest bios should be a good match.

I am curious where you are getting your 4.26Ghz goal since I have yet to read of anyone posting OC scores in that neighborhood. There may be but I just haven't read them. I know getting 4Ghz on any Core chip duo or quad is a chore and only with lots of cooling and high voltages. Unless its already die shrunk to .45nm I would speculate the added "power" features would only gain you may be a solid 4Ghz or stable 3.9Ghz on Quads.

July 23, 2007 6:04:03 PM

From the research I have done and all of the posts I have read, SLI is not worth it unless you are looking to go to a big monitor with the highest resolutions. This changed my mind as I was leaning towards an SLI board. I have a 22" widescreen with a top resolution of 1680x1050 (or whatever it is) so I decided on a P35 board.
July 23, 2007 8:05:33 PM

warezme said:
I have the Evga 680iSLI with current E6400 on 1600FSB, that is 8x 450FSB (3.6Ghz) . I have not OC'ed the board beyond 475FSB because the chip can't handle it but it will boot and run for awhile at 466FSB. I have just updated my bios to "officially" support 1333FSB and added "features" for Quad core CPU's, whatever that means, I don't have one yet and they don't explain.

I have read where people have problems going over 500Mhz on the 680iSLI but you have to take that with a grain of salt since you have to consider Mem and Chips can give out before anything else. If you get one now you are in better shape because there is a newer revision of the Evga 680i (rev A) which is supposed to be more OC'able for quad cores and the latest bios should be a good match.

I know of a lot of people who have their FSBs higher than 500Mhz on 680i SLi boards.
But the thing is, I don't want to have to buy anything other than the Asus P5N32E-SLi, and I don't know if it will be able to. Guess I'll have to do some more research..

warezme said:

I am curious where you are getting your 4.26Ghz goal since I have yet to read of anyone posting OC scores in that neighborhood. There may be but I just haven't read them. I know getting 4Ghz on any Core chip duo or quad is a chore and only with lots of cooling and high voltages. Unless its already die shrunk to .45nm I would speculate the added "power" features would only gain you may be a solid 4Ghz or stable 3.9Ghz on Quads.

4.0Ghz stable on a QUAD-core? That would be a nice dream :kaola: 
I'm talking about the E6750 DUAL-core CPU. The new G0 stepping basicly MAKES you overclock to 4.0Ghz, and with my Tuniq Tower Dual-120mm fan mod I'm sure to get 4.26Ghz (8x533).
But if I can't get to my 533Mhz goal, maybe it's best I get the E6850 which will cost just as much as going from the P5N32-E SLi to the eVGA 680i A1 board..
!